Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Diagnostic & Test Equipment

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-20-2010, 01:33 AM
VideoKarma Member

Need info on Hickok Model 209A

Anybody got a user manual or any information on this Model 209A? This thing is a super cool looking and well made instrument. However, Hickok tends to be a bit convoluted in their settings on their test equipment. I also have a tube tester by them. I may post on that separately.

With this thing, I need to know how to set the darned thing for the MANY functions it is capable of performing. I have both the AC and the DC probes and a single smaller lead that so far I have only been able to use as a DC ground. There obviously was a second lead that you plug into ohms, capacitance, and mili. I tried putting a paper clip in one ohms socket and jumping to the other ohms socket in hope of getting a "zero" sweep for the ohm meter. No such luck! Something must be wrong with the ohmmeter because when resistance is dialed in, the meter just sits at about 3/4 deflection and it can't be zero'd.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hickok209A1.jpg (75.4 KB, 8 views)
Old 08-20-2010, 12:01 PM
RCA 741PCS

Here you go: http://bama.edebris.com/manuals/hickok/209a/

Looks like a very cool piece of equipment. I hope you can get it working properly.
Old 08-21-2010, 12:44 AM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks! I'll have to go to the college and download the manual next week. Maybe I will luck out and my electronics professor will take it under his wing. Even with all of his vast knowledge of modern electronics; he still speaks highly of tube equipment. I am glad he likes tube stuff and he does at least give class time to discuss tubes in general. I have met many a trained "techs" who refuse to even acknowledge tube equipment as anything other than 100% useless old junk. I could always tell that the attitude was generated by their fear of the unknown. I sem to remember being younger and going to TV shops and the older guys would like me because I knew a lot about what they learned in college when they were younger. The younger guys always seemed to snub me, like they resented me. They weren't taught anything about tubes, and never had a job that forced them to learn, so they remained ignorant to a large of the topic and theories of electronics.

As a student, and hopefully soon as a professional in electronics, I think that it is truly necessary to know all that you can about both analog and digital, vacuum tube and "solid state" electronics to be a true professional. The trade is only around a century old. That's not a lot of time in the big picture. The more that I understand and can repair; the more profit potential I should have.
Old 08-23-2010, 12:47 PM
Chasin roundies since '79

You could try cleaning the switches and see if that helps. Use a quality product like DeOxIt or RidOx, and make sure you don't get any on the meter face.

As far as people belittling tube gear, show them an eBay auction for a Fisher or McIntosh amp. I constantly battle people with the same attitude, not just about tube gear, but stuff made in America. You have a good attitude! I'm curious if your class ever discusses the fact that stuff like this is almost never made here anymore.
Old 08-24-2010, 01:09 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Einar72 View Post
You could try cleaning the switches and see if that helps. Use a quality product like DeOxIt or RidOx, and make sure you don't get any on the meter face. I'm curious if your class ever discusses the fact that stuff like this is almost never made here anymore.
I took the thing apart and replaced the two D-cell batteries, cleaned the rotary switches, pots, and tube sockets. I probably should let it just sit powered up for a long time while periodically changing the selections to energize the various circuits containing capacitors. This is like dealing with any other vintage electronics. If a piece of equipment has been long dormant, the capacitors often sort of come back slowly. I have seen TV sets with all sorts of issues fresh out of storage end up working later after playing a while. I know resistors have high potential to change value with temperature change which could have explain some of what I have seen. I have always thought that the capacitors were taking their time coming back to life.

I always manage to drift from the subject; sorry! Anyway, the thing is clean, and nothing is burning. That's a good start to me. I didn't have time to download the manual at the college Monday. The first day is always a bit hectic. I will be back Wednesday to do it. Instructions are very important for Hickok stuff. I don't know why they chose to make their stuff operate with such a multitude of settings. Granted, this awesome meter does perform a LOT of functions for the time period. We take for granted holding a Fluke V DVOM in our palm. This Hickok unit is a monster! It's frankly impractical, but that's something I love about it. I mean they had much smaller VTVMs way back. We still have about four Simpson "Black Beauty" (my name) analog, solid state meters in classroom that were a technicians standard for many years. I get one out to do my laboratory measurements just to freak the other students out. Every time I do it somebody asks what it is, or what am I doing. Their use is not taught. They are just left over from years back and the school will not let go of anything, not to a student anyway.

Last, we never talk about the sellout of America's, and once the worlds greatest industrial base. It's sort of a bummer subject since that is why half of us are in college at mid-life trying to learn a trade that is largely based in industry these days. And the industry is all but completely gone! Too many people today think that there is something wrong with working at making things. It almost seems like you are a loser if you use your hands to work and don't mind getting those hands dirty. I don't see it that way. A true loser is someone who is above that or thinks that they are above anyone who does it. Just my opinion....