Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Flat Panels & Digital Format

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-11-2016, 12:10 PM
VideoKarma Member

I suspect, now that hi def is now the "only game in town" (the FCC forcing analog NTSC to go away), people have come to like it. And the cost of HD sets are now reasonably reasonable. And few people would want to go back to analog NTSC (ignoring reception issues). But I doubt people will want to upgrade to 4K, like nobody went for 3D.
Old 01-15-2016, 08:30 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Well, virtually ALL of us here KNOW that you can take a Roundie color set, or even a later version "Rectangular" set, & get, as Jeremy Clarkson would say "Near as makes no difference" HDTV, w/a little TLC, & judicious "Tweaking", & have pretty dern CLOSE to what HDTV purports to be...
Old 01-15-2016, 09:42 AM
Not sure how I got here.

Well, I know a lot of you would argue that my made in china 20" Magnavox Flat CRT
NTSC box does not produce a HD image, or close, especially using the rf signal input,
but I have noticed a great improvement in picture quality since Digital came out
while watching PBS's Nature show. I know they film it using some really good quality
cameras, and since our analog days PBS was a crappy signal here. But since they stayed
on VHF it makes it up here very well now... I wouldn't mind seeing that in real HD, and
possibly one day in 4K, but I'm Not going to sit within 6 feet of the screen..... Well
probably not all the time....

Old 03-25-2016, 09:36 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OvenMaster View Post
That's something I've been meaning to look into. If most people don't use VCRs anymore, how do they record programs and give the recording media to someone else to watch? Here at home, I use my VCR upstairs connected to a roof antenna to record shows on VHS tapes that are watched on the TV downstairs, often more than once (movies, series, etc.).
If it's HDMI, how am I supposed to record shows?
They dont want people to record shows anymore.

Pretty soon they turn on the digital copyright protection on like the DVDs and macrovision on the old VHS tapes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisW6ATV View Post
THIS is so perfectly stated, and exactly what I fear is the biggest threat to free, over-the-air TV availability, far more than having to buy new/different boxes (if that is our choice) in a few years.
I agree.With the new DTV realignment coming up .The OTA channels will be less there is now.The vacated channels probably will be auctioned of to the wireless idiots.Alot of pocketed money going around.
Old 03-26-2016, 01:30 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Username1 View Post
but I have noticed a great improvement in picture quality since Digital came out
while watching PBS's Nature show.

Reminds me of one such show where a scientist was explaining his theory of why zebras are striped. He was watching film of a herd of zebras, and saw the stage coach wagon wheel effect (wheels spinning in the wrong direction) as the zebras were running. And he thought this would be what a lion would see in live action in the field (zebras seemingly running in the opposite direction). I in person later looked at cars driving past, to see if maybe my eye would see this wagon wheel effect (I assume lion eyes and mine are enough similar), and as I expected, I didn't see the effect. As my (and lion eyes) don't use shutters running at 24 frames a second, and thus I and lions won't get this alias product. Unless they watch movies of running zebras.
Old 03-26-2016, 02:42 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa2ise View Post
Reminds me of one such show where a scientist was explaining his theory of why zebras are striped. He was watching film of a herd of zebras, and saw the stage coach wagon wheel effect (wheels spinning in the wrong direction) as the zebras were running. And he thought this would be what a lion would see in live action in the field (zebras seemingly running in the opposite direction). I in person later looked at cars driving past, to see if maybe my eye would see this wagon wheel effect (I assume lion eyes and mine are enough similar), and as I expected, I didn't see the effect. As my (and lion eyes) don't use shutters running at 24 frames a second, and thus I and lions won't get this alias product. Unless they watch movies of running zebras.
I've seen the wagon wheel effect on cars on the highway in person....

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 03-26-2016, 04:27 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
I've seen the wagon wheel effect on cars on the highway in person....
I'm guessing that there must have been some *strobing* effect going on with the light source such as 60 Hz blinking of street lamps or sunlight streaming through a forest, or perhaps strobing related to viewing conditions, such as observation of the vehicle through a picket fence.

jr
Old 03-26-2016, 05:05 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_tech View Post
I'm guessing that there must have been some *strobing* effect going on with the light source such as 60 Hz blinking of street lamps or sunlight streaming through a forest, or perhaps strobing related to viewing conditions, such as observation of the vehicle through a picket fence.

jr
I've observed it in direct view with normal sunlight and no strobing.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 03-26-2016, 06:18 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

I can't say that I have observed car wheels appearing to go backwards, but I have seen some sort of strobing that I think was due to the shadows of the spokes falling on the spokes themselves. Strobing in the eye/visual system might be possible under certain conditions due to short-duration after images, and it might depend critically on the level of illumination, that is, require bright sunlight or even brighter reflections of the sun off of chrome wheels. It also might depend on being in peripheral vision rather than central attention. A former boss of mine, a video expert, once told me that he had seen strobing on car wheels, but did not say if they appeared to turn backwards.

Edit - if it's the shadow-caused effect, it might only be visible if you were NOT tracking the motion of the car. If you were following the wheel, the rotation might blur everything, but if not, the strobing flashes would be distributed across your retina. I think the cases I have seen were when I was not tracking the car motion.

Last edited by old_tv_nut; 03-26-2016 at 06:22 PM.
Old 03-26-2016, 06:29 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

See Benham's top:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benham%27s_top

This produces colors from black and white for most people, but does not show rotation reversal.

I suggest you actually print one and spin it rather than viewing the video. The video does show colors, but also flickers badly, and even comes with a warning about seizure inducement in people who are sensitive to such flickering images.
Audiokarma
Old 03-26-2016, 11:32 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_tv_nut View Post
See Benham's top:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benham%27s_top

This produces colors from black and white for most people, but does not show rotation reversal.

I suggest you actually print one and spin it rather than viewing the video. The video does show colors, but also flickers badly, and even comes with a warning about seizure inducement in people who are sensitive to such flickering images.
Anybody remember hearing of an early network tv experiment using flicker to simulate color on monochrome tvs?

jr
Old 03-27-2016, 02:16 AM
VideoKarma Member

Yes. A long, long time ago.
Old 03-28-2016, 09:32 PM
VideoKarma Member

ATSC approves "Bootstrap" as full standard:

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/playout/2...full-standard/

jr