Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Diagnostic & Test Equipment

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-11-2016, 05:35 PM
VideoKarma Member

Jerrold 601 Sweep Frequency Generator

I don't exactly remember how I came into possession of this, but I was wondering If I would be able to use this to align televisions? If I can, it probably needs some work...Though I'm not exactly sure how it's supposed to work and there's not much info online about these generators, especially service info/schematics. Has anyone here ever worked with one of these?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image1.jpg (62.8 KB, 32 views)
Old 09-12-2016, 08:18 AM
VideoKarma Member

Believe this is a piece of CATV sweep gear. It is used for aligning line extenders and trunk amplifiers after repair. They also have sweep generators that can be used while the system is "on air" and a sweep receiver in the field can look for suckouts. The viewer would only see a little bit of glitching at home.
But CATV mostly has gone fiber optic these days.
Old 10-02-2016, 09:02 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cluelessgame View Post
I don't exactly remember how I came into possession of this, but I was wondering If I would be able to use this to align televisions? If I can, it probably needs some work...Though I'm not exactly sure how it's supposed to work and there's not much info online about these generators, especially service info/schematics. Has anyone here ever worked with one of these?
Man, haven't seen one of those in 40+ years, cut my sweeping teeth on one of them. It was used for aligning broadband CATV amplifiers (broadband in 1960's was 50-220MHz). I guess you could use it for TV work, but there definitely are better units available out there.

Here is link for manual:
http://theoldcatvequipmentmuseum.org...del601H--1.JPG

Chuck

Learn from the mistakes of others -
You can't live long enough to make them all yourself.
Old 10-03-2016, 08:19 AM
VideoKarma Member

Thumbs down

That must have been Starline 20. I've still a couple of line extenders that were salvaged when we upgraded to the Sylvania Pathmaker equipment (300 Mhz).
Do you remember Anaconda equipment?
Old 10-03-2016, 07:27 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kf4rca View Post
That must have been Starline 20. I've still a couple of line extenders that were salvaged when we upgraded to the Sylvania Pathmaker equipment (300 Mhz).
Do you remember Anaconda equipment?
I remember the name but never had any dealings with them. First line equipment I worked on was Entron 40/400 split band amps (tubes). First transistorized was Jerrold Starline 1 series.

Chuck

Audiokarma
Old 10-04-2016, 08:04 AM
VideoKarma Member

Never worked with any tube type CATV equipment. Anaconda was the first 300 MHz equipment we had. Believe it was the Century series. Used a round gold IC made by HP that was discontinued then we started putting in the rectangular TRW chip.
Anaconda was Canadian I believe.
Do you remember ThetaCom? We just used their passives. Very distinguishable by their being painted glossy white.
Old 10-04-2016, 01:20 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kf4rca View Post
Never worked with any tube type CATV equipment. Anaconda was the first 300 MHz equipment we had. Believe it was the Century series. Used a round gold IC made by HP that was discontinued then we started putting in the rectangular TRW chip.
Anaconda was Canadian I believe.
Do you remember ThetaCom? We just used their passives. Very distinguishable by their being painted glossy white.
I remember those "doorknob" Motorola chips were used by a few manufacturers, extremely lightning sensitive.
The last system I owned I used Theta-Com equipment in a dual cable design, 5-330MHz forward and 5-108MHz return. Talk about overkill!

Chuck