Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-13-2012, 05:14 PM
Born in the wrong decade

Muntz tv

A friend of mine gave me a muntz tv. The cabinet is in rough shape and is in pieces while my friend restores it. The original back is missing so I have no idea what model number it is. It has a 16" crt and the tv history website shows 16" muntz to be 1950 or1951.

Can anyone help me identify the model number in case i need a diagram for the few parts that are actually in it?
When I look up pictures online of muntz sets they pretty much look the same.
They either have 2 knobs on the front or three.
Old 09-13-2012, 06:09 PM
console lover

OK...how many knobs does yours have? 16" round or rectangular? A pic is worth a thousand words.
Old 09-13-2012, 07:02 PM
Born in the wrong decade

Two knobs in the front. 16" rectangular picture tube. No idea which crt it has since there is not a number on the glass neck and the paper tag has been half rubbed off. I will take a picture of the chassis this weekend. So we will probably have to go by tube count and placement then?
Old 09-13-2012, 07:35 PM
console lover

Muntz chassis general layout didn't change a whole lot in the first few years. 16" rectangular definitely zeroes in on a 50-51 time frame. I'll take a look in Rider.
Old 09-13-2012, 07:44 PM
console lover

Is the chassis marked TV17A3 anywhere? It could be model M32. Sixteen tubes using a 6BG6 for sweep with a separate oscillator but no phase detector.
Old 09-13-2012, 07:52 PM
Born in the wrong decade

It does have a 6bg6 tube. mine has a 6sn7 behind the high voltage cage and the 5u4 is to the left of it. I want to say it has 15 tubes plus crt to make 16. The chassis is at my friends house.

Last edited by radio nut; 09-13-2012 at 08:01 PM. Reason: needed to edit
Old 09-13-2012, 07:56 PM
Born in the wrong decade

There was a serial number on the back but it is 12758.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:02 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by radio nut View Post
It does have a 6bg6 tube. mine has a 6sn7 behind the high voltage cage and the 5u4 is to the left of it. I want to say it has 15 tubes plus crt to make 16. The chassis is at my friends house.
I've seen a few of those early Muntz's that had a 6F8G, instead of a 6SN7. It's on the IF strip side. It looked strange to see a ST type tube, with a grid cap, in a TV set.
The set uses the synchoguide circuit in the horizontal oscillator stage, that doesn't need a phase detector stage.
Old 09-14-2012, 01:44 PM
Born in the wrong decade

I will take pictures of the chassis and post them tomorrow afternoon. I guess I should have posted this question AFTER I had a little more info.............But every time I get a new project I go nuts until it is taken care of.....almost an obsession!.......Its pretty much all I can think about......Anyone else get like this??
Old 09-15-2012, 12:17 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
I will take pictures of the chassis and post them tomorrow afternoon.
Attached is the schematic from Beitman's on the chassis that Muntz used in 1951 for many 16 and 19 inch sets.

If this is the correct schematic, shoot me an eMail and I'll send you a B&W scan of it and the two other pages (no chassis layout) next week. That higher quality scan will be well over the size limit.

Sorry for the quality, but I first sent a highly compressed 400K image and VK shrunk it to 1/8 width, making it unreadable. Will try two half-width images, although it takes more bandwidth and see what happens.

Quote:
............But every time I get a new project I go nuts until it is taken care of.....almost an obsession!.......Its pretty much all I can think about......Anyone else get like this??
Actually, I'm accused of researching too long before starting my restorations.

The next set on my restoration list was purchased in December of 1966.

No, it is not that bad!

In 1966 I paid $15 for a non-working Pilot TV-37 and immediately repaired it and used it as my daily driver until I bought a 15" Sears (reranded Toshiba all-tube) as soon as NBC started televising the space shots in color.

That little 3" set was still working fine, when I last turned it on in 2010, but unfortunately it took a swim when my basement flooded a year ago. I hosed the red mud off and it has been sitting in my garage drying out ever since.

Now, what I really go nuts on is lousy internet service! When I lived in Ohio, I had Lima's own WCOIL (Western Central Ohio Internet Link) which I affectionately called "Water Closet OIL" and sorely missed it after moving to Virginia. Thanks our current phone company's refusal to install copper phone wires, or paying more for the phone company's internet than my house payments, I'm limited to Comcast which offers one quarter the service at twice the cost of WCoil.
Jas.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Muntz-Beitmans-1951-compressed-left.jpg (120.8 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg Muntz-Beitmans-1951-compressed-right.jpg (107.8 KB, 42 views)

Last edited by earlyfilm; 09-15-2012 at 12:37 PM. Reason: VK compressed picture to 1/8th width
Audiokarma
Old 09-16-2012, 12:22 PM
Born in the wrong decade

well, that was not my set. mine does not have a 12at7. If my internet connection will cooperate I have a hand drawn tube layout. Also I found 16a2 stamped on the chassis under some dust. Is that it?
Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 027.jpg (56.2 KB, 34 views)
Old 09-16-2012, 12:26 PM
Born in the wrong decade

Well over the weekend I recapped the set and put the tubes back in with nos for the bad ones and guess what...... I left the 6w4 sitting on the counter at Fair radio..... So now me with zero patience will need to wait til monday to try out my handy work !
Old 09-16-2012, 05:00 PM
console lover

I don't know why I thought you said your set was a console. M31 is the 16" rectangular table set with 16A2 chassis. The unmarked tubes in your diagram are (from the top) 6AU6, 6T8, 6AU6, 6AQ5. It's a very early rectangular set from 1950.
Old 09-16-2012, 05:38 PM
Born in the wrong decade

I forgot, mine is mounted on an optional base. It is a table top. even has chrome feet that you can see if you look in and up at it from the back. I will get a diagram but for now what crt does it call for?
Old 09-16-2012, 05:43 PM
Born in the wrong decade

Also, Should the crt have one of those rings with a magnet on it. I "think" it is called an ion trap?This tv besides missing the back seems to be unmolested.
Audiokarma