Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Diagnostic & Test Equipment

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-13-2014, 06:02 PM
VideoKarma Member

Get an isolation transformer, for hot chassis sets.

I second the vote for the Simpson 260, I've got one too.
Old 04-15-2014, 11:08 PM
<---WANTED: Motorola 17P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxhifi View Post
Get an isolation transformer, for hot chassis sets.

I second the vote for the Simpson 260, I've got one too.
Speaking of Simpson meters, anyone know how to fix one?

Friend forgot to disconnect work from meter before shutting it off and cooked something in the AC test side of it...

SR
Old 08-08-2014, 11:22 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boobtubeman View Post
Speaking of Simpson meters, anyone know how to fix one?
Simpson still services all of their large line of test equipment. They have authorized service labs all over the country. Check out their site. I think the following url will take you to the download of the user manual and schematic: http://www.simpson260.com/.../simpso...anual-1969.pdf

I'm not sure what model you have, but there is a great identification part of the site where you can find your "series" and the years of its run. The url is for a 260 which is what most people have in some version. They have been making the 260 model since around the 40s up to today and it has changed little other than some genuine improvements. So that identifier page helps a lot to know what you have. A 260 is NOT a 260 despite what many of us think as I did until I looked mine up. I have a 303 VTVM that looks similar. Can't get the AC measurement right on that one. A whole different ball of wax...
Old 08-12-2014, 09:10 PM
Technohippie

I recently purchased a vacuum desoldering station for doing PC board work, but the thing is proving itself quite useful for working on old point-to-point wired tube gear as well. Much nicer and quicker than solder wick or the syringe type solder suckers. The unit is bought is reviewed here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ft50m8UU5WQ

The build quality isn't the greatest, but it works GREAT, and is considerably cheaper than the Haako. Haako surely better for daily use, but for $165 on Amazon.com I don't think you can beat this thing for occasional hobby use.

http://www.amazon.com/Desoldering-St...dp/B00KQ6PR6K/