Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-02-2019, 11:00 PM
VideoKarma Member

Sounds like a drum!

I plan on transplanting the chassis and speaker of a Philco '36 116X into a 116B cabinet. I purchased the cabinet that is physically sound but has flaking lacquer that exposes the bare wood. "Thumping" the wood gives a hollow sound indicative of "somewhat" thin wood. My Philco 37-665B seems to have much thicker wood. Would the flaking wood require new veneer? What would be necessary to restore the cabinet exterior?
Old 01-05-2019, 01:51 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hi Rick,
>I plan on transplanting the chassis and speaker of a Philco '36 116X into a 116B cabinet.

You'll need to construct some sort of cross brace to support the speaker from the back. The spkr in to B is much lighted that the one in the X. I think it's bigger too B being 10 1/2" and the X being 14" I wouldn't try to mount the X spkr to the front panel, it would quite a strain.

>Would the flaking wood require new veneer? What would be necessary to restore the cabinet exterior?

Not sure what you are asking. What do you mean by "flaking wood"? If the finish is flaking you'll need to refinish it which involves removing the old, spraying w/sanding sealer, grain filling, toning, and a top coat.

I have both 116X and a late model (8" spkr) 116B. Great players!!
If you like you can read a little bit abt the cabinet here: http://philcoradio.com/phorum/showthread.php?tid=19320
My friend Bob is working on an early 116B (like your cabinet). It was painted w/white house paint. http://philcoradio.com/phorum/showthread.php?tid=19242

I think both of us have been taking a break over the holidays. I'm down the the cabinet work/refinishing with the chassis being done. Bob has been working on both.

GL

Terry
Old 01-06-2019, 12:36 AM
VideoKarma Member

Flaking finish is it. I knew about the difference between the speakers and I'll have additional bracing added. Both speakers are the same size but the "B" is much lighter. I found refinishing info on YouTube under the 630B restore. I appreciate your help and will keep you informed of my progress.
Old 03-11-2020, 02:23 AM
VideoKarma Member

It's been three years since this Philco 116X-2 has been started. The cabinet was redone nicely. The "friendly" Papillion electronic repair shop royally "half-assed" attempted repair on the chassis and said it was completed charging $500 dollars. Walter Beers found numerous caps and resisters unchanged: some left hanging. Also, Walter attempted repairs on the grinding tuning.

Walter says that the upper part of the AM band barely plays. There are numerous pops and poor reception: shadow tuning is weak. Two tubes, one of which the rectifier, were replaced. He says the amplifier runs acceptably. He attempted realignment but failed.

Someone have an idea whats wrong? After 3 YEARS I'd like to get this wonderful radio, I was lead to purchase by "Mr. Philco", Home and playing before either I die or run out of money.

Can someone please help?
Sparks

Last edited by Titan1a; 03-11-2020 at 02:29 AM.
Old 03-11-2020, 03:10 PM
VideoKarma Member

Cripes. $500 for an AM radio? Hopefully there's someone in your area that can sort that out. Even double checking the other work, it shouldn't take long to sort that out. I wish I was closer.

John
Audiokarma
Old 03-11-2020, 04:13 PM
M is for Memory

So is Walter fixing it for you or just critiquing the over priced repair job? If he is able to critique it maybe he has time to fix it right if you ask nicely.

When it comes to tube electronic restoration I'm a firm believer in "If you want it done right you gotta do it yourself". Almost no repair shops will touch a tube radio and most that will either do a bad job, rip you off or both. Similarly few collectors who can restore the electronics well will do so for others and those that do either are expensive, overbooked or both.

The fastest most economical way to get it done right to your standards is to pick a simple Radio and teach your self the basics over a weekend. Go to Phill's Old Radios on the internet and look at some of his beginner recap advice and restoration write ups....It is good info to learn from. If you have problems we can help.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 03-12-2020, 12:56 AM
VideoKarma Member

Walter is working on it but this radio is a HEADACHE! None of us are getting younger and, through attrition, he's lost a lot of knowledge. He is doggedly dependable after redoing my Philco 37-665B. If not, I have options.
Old 05-14-2020, 06:54 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCT View Post
Cripes. $500 for an AM radio? Hopefully there's someone in your area that can sort that out. Even double checking the other work, it shouldn't take long to sort that out. I wish I was closer.

John
The 116B is a 5 band Radio not just an AM only radio, I have one that I'm currently working on and yes, it is a PITA radio to work on because you have over 30 capacitors (most of them of which are in Bakelite Block Assemblies which you literally have to take a heat-gun and melt the potting material (tar) just enough so you can remove the old paper cap guts and restuff the bakelite blocks with new capacitors.

The alignment job is also a pony trick and a half because you have to align 5 different radio bands (2 shortwave bands, a police band, an AM (Broadcast) band and a Long Wave Band, and there are over 10 different alignment points on this radio that you have to keep track of.

So with that in mind I can completely sympathize with Rick here.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 05-15-2020, 01:06 AM
VideoKarma Member

I finally have the 116 back. It's reception isn't as good as the 37-665B. I believe the antenna maybe too hot or there's a misalignment (easy to do on this HOT radio). I get low volume then a loud pop and full volume. Loose tube in socket? Intermittent audio tube?

This radio has glorious tone and lots of volume. I can't believe some company hasn't made one like this recently. Only a wide IF would improve this impressive instrument.