Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Things with Motors

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-22-2019, 04:47 PM
M is for Memory

What was the first car to NOT have a manual transmission as an option?

I know what many consider the first full automatic transmission the hydramatic came out in 1940 models. I also know that when the front wheel drive olds Toronado came out in 1966 the automatic transmission was so popular that GM didn't bother to make a manual to fit the unique drive train of the Unitized Power Package... From what I've read my Lincoln Mark V didn't have a manual option either.

What I wonder is what model and year car was first to not offer the option of a manual.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 01-22-2019, 08:08 PM
VideoKarma Member

Im unsure of the answer but will add a little that a lot of people dont know. A common tactic with the car and truck plants... if manual transmissions were more popular they seemed to make auto's standard and charge more for manuals. If Auto's were more popular they came with manuals and charge more for autos. Pretty sneaky.

Im betting your answer will be some obscure maker, or AMC. They would have secured their tranny's from a single source and would have only ordered 1 type of tranny to save cost. I could be wrong though.
Old 01-23-2019, 12:32 AM
VideoKarma Member

Cadillac?
Old 01-23-2019, 08:27 AM
Procrastination Expert

Could you order a stick on the 3rd Gen Caprice? Those came out in 77. I'd think other large cars from Cadillac / Lincoln were never offered with a stick.

According to Wikipedia from '58 on the Continental only had an automatic. And the Cadillac Series 62 from '54 only had an automatic.

Right now we own 2 cars with no transmission (just a single reduction gear)

-J
Old 01-23-2019, 09:24 AM
VideoKarma Member

I believe the last Cadillac to offer a manual transmission would have been a 52 or 53. I'm nearly certain they all had autos by 55.

I think the last full size Chevy (Biscayne - Bel Air - Impala - Caprice) to have a manual was probably around 73, certainly the last of the manuals would have been in the 71-74 era (and this probably would have been some rare stripped down 3-speed column shift model, I don't think they put 4-speeds in after 1970 or maybe even 69 - I've never seen one with a 4-speed newer than 68). I don't think they made any 75-76s with manuals at all.

Full size Buicks only offered a 4-speed from 63-65, but the 3-speed manual continued as a rare option into the early 70s.

Oldsmobile seems to have made a few full size 4-speed cars in 65-66, and also continues the 3 on the tree as a rare option into the early 70s.

Pontiac offered 4-speeds in their big cars as early as 1960, but probably discontinued them in '68 (I've never even seen a picture of one newer than 68 with the 4-speed). I think here also the column shift 3-speed continued as a rare option until at least '71.

If I could go back in time and special order any car I wanted, I'd be a 60 Buick Invicta 2 door hardtop with the 401 nailhead and a 3-on the tree (I think the only 60 Buicks they really made with the 3-speed were base model Le Sabres with the 364 - 2 barrel engine). Actually, I'd love to find any of the 59-60 GM full size cars, especially one with the 3-speed.

Last edited by Adam; 01-23-2019 at 10:40 AM.
Audiokarma
Old 01-23-2019, 09:38 AM
VideoKarma Member

The Toronado was a "personal luxury" car so autos would be
ordered near 100%. Also making it work would cost to much.
The turbo 400 in them actually runs backwards ! Even the
much loved GMC camper w/ Toro driveline was auto only.
I also had a 1970 Delta 88. Standard was an extra cost option.
That would have been a screamer with a 4 spead & the 455 cid.
Any big car with a standard is a RARE bird indeed !

73 Zeno
LFOD !
Old 01-23-2019, 09:42 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

The last Caddy you could get w/a 3 speed was the 1953 Fleetwood 75 limo. They also made a "Business Sedan version", that was just like the limo except w/heavier duty. & slightly downgraded interior appointments-Think fancy taxi,& You'll get the idea. I think they offered a manual in their commercial chassis later on as well, but I don't know about that. By '55, the Hydramatic had been out 15 yrs or so, & had pretty well proved its worth in virtually all applications.
Old 01-23-2019, 11:14 AM
Procrastination Expert

Sorry to get off topic, but have you seen the WeberAuto youtube channel? Excellent information about automatic transmission design and theory!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oWFTOY-3tY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygkRuwCpKxU

-J
Old 01-23-2019, 11:58 AM
See yourself on Color TV!

Thaks for the WeberAuto link - looks so interesting, I have subscribed and will be working my way through some of the vids.
Old 01-23-2019, 06:34 PM
Resident Lunatic

I'm not 100% positive on this, but I do believe that starting for the 1951 model year, you could only purchase a Packard Patrician 400 with the Ultramatic transmission, and that the "delete for credit" option was pulled. That would be earlier than the Cadillacs by a year or two.
Audiokarma
Old 01-23-2019, 11:21 PM
The Resident Brony

^ this. Pretty sure it was a Packard in the early 50s. If not, I'd wager perhaps an Imperial of the same era.
Old 01-24-2019, 09:57 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by compu_85 View Post
Could you order a stick on the 3rd Gen Caprice? Those came out in 77. I'd think other large cars from Cadillac / Lincoln were never offered with a stick.

According to Wikipedia from '58 on the Continental only had an automatic. And the Cadillac Series 62 from '54 only had an automatic.

Right now we own 2 cars with no transmission (just a single reduction gear)

-J
Are the cars you have no with no transmission considered to be a CVT transmission?
Old 01-24-2019, 10:12 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Always wanted to see a Dutch DAF-They had maybe the 1st CVT type transmission. They didn't sell their cars here in America, we're notoriously Tough" on stuff-Ask Fiat & Renault about that. BTW, I found a decrepit 4CV Renault in a junkyard once...Front "Suicide" doors, rear opened normally-Raised the hood-Surprise ! Motor was in the rear. Looked up, right between my hands, holding the lid up, was the biggest Wasper Nest God ever made, & they were NOT Happy Campers about being disturbed. Slammed the hood, Bonnet" lid, whatever, turned tail & hauled arse. Guess I made God laugh, He didn't let His very angry Waspers sting me even once. And they were them mean, teeny-tiny l'il striped sonsa bitches. I dunno if youse guys have that variety where YOU live, but even tho most ALL Waspers are basically mean Arsewholes, these are a special breed that make the rest look like Sunday School teachers... They truly "Take NO Prisoners...(grin)
Old 01-24-2019, 03:55 PM
Procrastination Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
Are the cars you have no with no transmission considered to be a CVT transmission?
Nope, single speed reduction gear, the electric motor is hooked up to a single reduction gear, which is connected to the differential. Nothing to shift, nothing to engage. This is how our Fiat 500e and Tesla Model 3 are set up. Some call this a single speed automatic but I think with nothing to shift it's not really a transmission.

Our Cadillac ELR does have an e-CVT, the 4ET50. There are 2 electric motors that are different inputs to the planetary gearset, plus a couple clutches. I attached a cutaway picture. WeberAuto goes into great detail about this system.

-J
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2011-chevrolet-volt-transmission-cutaway.jpg (50.9 KB, 17 views)
Old 01-24-2019, 04:27 PM
M is for Memory

I figured it would be a luxury car, but I'm amazed it was that early... I kinda wondered if Packard had lasted long enough to offer automatics.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Audiokarma