Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Things with Motors

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-06-2019, 06:13 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
Yeah, Jon, back then-20 yrs back, it must have been offered only as professionally installed. Seems like, they took my dad's truck, cleaned the hell outta the bed, let it sit a day or 2 to dry good, sprayed it w/that stuff, & we got it a day or 2 later. It kinda looked like a "Spackled" ceiling finish., & it would "Give" a little when you walked on it, but it WASN'T slick when wet. Kinda expensive-IIRC, it set Henry, my dad, back about $400., which was likely you didn't see many pickemups w/them. They'd rather buy el-cheapo bedliners which always cracked, broke, or rusted the beds out quicker than if you just left the beds bare. At least, that's what happened down here, the bedliners would sweat, & stay wet, & often NASTY underneath.
When I bought my 2000 Dodge Dakota new, I opted for the spray-on bed liner. The 1991 Dakota I bought used had a plastic liner common at the time.
When the truck was empty, I bounced in the bed, even though it was bolted down in a few locations. I had ribs running the long way, where items would slide around when braking or accelerating.
Old 02-06-2019, 10:43 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Yeah...You saw a lot of "Weekend Warrior" types who had those cheap 'n' Shoddy plastic bedliners in their pickem ups. We were FARMERS, weUSED up trucks to HAUL stuff in, Henry never had less than a 3/4 to truck, he had a 5th wheel gizmo mounted in the bed, so he could pull a farm wagon, or a horse trailer. He was a BIG believer-as am I-thatif you thought a 1/2 ton would work, you prolly oughta get the Big Dawg, 'cause you'd likely end up wishing you would have not long after you got it. I had a K20 diesel Suburban, & the Mighty Valdez, a Y2K model, is built on Fords' "Super Duty" platform. Its about half 3/4 ton, & about half full-ton. Did I really need that much overkill ? Yep. I NEVER have felt as I've been "Overloaded" in it, & lotsa times, I've had all 8-9 seats full, & 3-4 more in the gooleyhole behind the 3rd seat. Yeah, its tremongous, but to me, that's part of its considerable charm. If I can't load it up in the Mighty Valdez, I doubt if I REALLY need it in the 1st place... If I ever ran up on a roundie "Aircraft Carrier" style console, it would be No Problemo hauling it in the Valdez. If I take the 3rd seat out, fold up the 2nd row, there's like 10 feet from the tailgate to the back of the Captain's chairs in the front. As far as weight was concerned, it wouldn't even know there was anything much in it...
Old 02-07-2019, 03:43 AM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Yeah...You saw a lot of "Weekend Warrior" types who had those cheap 'n' Shoddy plastic bedliners in their pickem ups. We were FARMERS, weUSED up trucks to HAUL stuff in, Henry never had less than a 3/4 to truck, he had a 5th wheel gizmo mounted in the bed, so he could pull a farm wagon, or a horse trailer. He was a BIG believer-as am I-thatif you thought a 1/2 ton would work, you prolly oughta get the Big Dawg, 'cause you'd likely end up wishing you would have not long after you got it.
For sure, I'd look for the same things in a pickup or van. I never know what I may run across that I would want to stuff into one. This brings to mind a show in which one character has a rather oddly-optioned Ford F100; not very useful I thought. If I ever say "eight is enough", I would likely be referring to wheel lugs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
Here in the states Ford vs Chevy is mostly a generic pickup truck debate... with Dodge being the little guy the others can agree to laugh off.... I guess canajins are more concerned with 4WD... understandable.
Not unless you consider busted up pavement as a reason for needing 4 wheel drive; that's how it is in the place I'm itching to get out of anyway. You're buying into a common yankee stereotype which is especially untrue of where I am.

Pinterest memes are my only source of information on the 4X4 debate; I doubt the bulk of contributors are Canadian.

Last edited by Jon A.; 02-07-2019 at 04:14 AM.
Old 02-07-2019, 07:51 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

I went w/4WD because down here in Hooterville, they DON'T know what to do when this cold, white stuff falls from the sky. We typically get one or snows a winter, plus several more dustings. But what happens is it'll snow, melt a bit, & then the bottom drops out of the temperature, & everything turns into ice. Fun, fun, fun ! I got caught out in a pretty decent-for US-snow-4-6"& got passed by a Corvette going 60-65 or so. I was creeping along at MAYBE 25-30, it wasn't glare Ice yet, but it was still slicker than snot on a doorknob. I finally got home, put the Valdez up, shut the door, & didn't get out again for a couple days. Let Ronnie Redneck & Co. spin right round like a record, baby, I'll just stay home & laugh at his ass when he makes the 11 PM news...
Old 02-07-2019, 08:53 AM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon A. View Post
For sure, I'd look for the same things in a pickup or van. I never know what I may run across that I would want to stuff into one. This brings to mind a show in which one character has a rather oddly-optioned Ford F100; not very useful I thought. If I ever say "eight is enough", I would likely be referring to wheel lugs.
On most trucks 6 lug are half ton and 8 lug are three quarter or bigger...

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Audiokarma
Old 02-07-2019, 02:25 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
I went w/4WD because down here in Hooterville, they DON'T know what to do when this cold, white stuff falls from the sky. We typically get one or snows a winter, plus several more dustings. But what happens is it'll snow, melt a bit, & then the bottom drops out of the temperature, & everything turns into ice. Fun, fun, fun ! I got caught out in a pretty decent-for US-snow-4-6"& got passed by a Corvette going 60-65 or so. I was creeping along at MAYBE 25-30, it wasn't glare Ice yet, but it was still slicker than snot on a doorknob. I finally got home, put the Valdez up, shut the door, & didn't get out again for a couple days. Let Ronnie Redneck & Co. spin right round like a record, baby, I'll just stay home & laugh at his ass when he makes the 11 PM news...
Sounds like the climate in this armpit of a province. I got a "I <3 snow" button for my coat mostly to keep the winter whiners at bay. They are a VERY vocal majority; it's as if they're trying to push their preference on those who disagree. Consider our building maintenance guy; I don't know what the hell his problem is, he brings up his hatred of snow/love of heat almost every time mom and I see him even though we've told him our opinion. I doubt he does it to irritate us as I borrow tools from him regularly, so he's a major ignoramus at the very least.

As for Ronnie Redneck, chances are he would end up in some of those crash compilation videos as well. I don't know of any other car that would shatter on impact. It's more fun to see them turned into twisted metal provided the occupants come out okay. I get a kick out of watching tempered glass windows explode as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
On most trucks 6 lug are half ton and 8 lug are three quarter or bigger...
My point exactly.

Last edited by Jon A.; 02-07-2019 at 06:48 PM.
Old 02-07-2019, 02:45 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Rotsa Ruck getting ANY tyre offa now a days since they virtually "Solder" them on w the air wrenches...
Old 02-07-2019, 03:45 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Rotsa Ruck getting ANY tyre offa now a days since they virtually "Solder" them on w the air wrenches...
The factory alloy rims on my burban seem to be self tightening.... even when I put em on just barely tight enough in a few months they need the 6 foot of pipe breaker bar to come loose...

Old 02-08-2019, 01:22 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
Is the shift pattern reversed on the manual gear boxes? I know you have to shift with your left hand. I would imagine first and second would be closest to the driver. Also, how many speeds are the manuals.
Dave.
No, same shift pattern = 1'st top left, 2'nd bottom left, 3'rd top middle, 4 bottom middle, 5'th top right, reverse bottom right. Most are 5 speed though some are 6..

My late Father-in-law had a weird Citroen C4 diesel six speed auto = you'd be on the on ramp of the M1 motorway so you'd floor it to get up to 70 MPH to match the speed of the other cars & the gearbox would drop down a few gears taking a second or 2 before power came back on, scared me stupid when it did that..

Wayne next door just today has got a new company supplied Lexus auto, I had a drive & very nice it is. BTW mines a Hyundai i10 auto, I'm not jealous, no I'm not, honest I'm not. OK then I am..
Old 02-08-2019, 05:38 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colly0410 View Post
No, same shift pattern = 1'st top left, 2'nd bottom left, 3'rd top middle, 4 bottom middle, 5'th top right, reverse bottom right. Most are 5 speed though some are 6..
I thought the shift pattern would be the same. I'm guessing that some others have R 1 3 5 along the top as well. Modern Mustangs may even have one that reads R SPIN GRASS N/A; it depends on the owner's driving style.
Audiokarma
Old 02-08-2019, 09:49 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:

My late Father-in-law had a weird Citroen C4 diesel six speed auto = you'd be on the on ramp of the M1 motorway so you'd floor it to get up to 70 MPH to match the speed of the other cars & the gearbox would drop down a few gears taking a second or 2 before power came back on, scared me stupid when it did that..

Wayne next door just today has got a new company supplied Lexus auto, I had a drive & very nice it is. BTW mines a Hyundai i10 auto, I'm not jealous, no I'm not, honest I'm not. OK then I am..
Thanks for answering my inquiry. My 2006 Jeep Wrangler with the six speed manual gearbox. The shift pattern is almost the same but the reverse is extreme middle and down. That's the best I can explain it.
Old 02-09-2019, 10:36 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:

There should be an eleventh commandment, "Thou shalt not covet thy neighbors car." Your neighbor must really have an impressive position to rate a car of that caliber. It's my choice to own four vehicles instead of one super-expensive car.
Old 02-09-2019, 12:14 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon A. View Post
Government mandates have already wiped out cars, soon enough pickup trucks will be gone. Perhaps they should just force all automakers to go with Flintstone power and be done with it.

The so-called Green New Deal literally would do all of the above.
Old 02-09-2019, 12:54 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
There should be an eleventh commandment, "Thou shalt not covet thy neighbors car." Your neighbor must really have an impressive position to rate a car of that caliber. It's my choice to own four vehicles instead of one super-expensive car.
Yeah, I figured there's no good reason to covet a car that screams "showboat". I wouldn't even want to be around those who have cars like that.

Some of those fail compilation videos show a Lamborghini whose driver's excessive revving starts a fire. The next thing you know the thing has nearly been burned to the ground; I found it quite amusing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by user181 View Post
The so-called Green New Deal literally would do all of the above.
I hadn't heard of that so I checked it out real quick. Those pushing for that don't exactly have a firm grip on reality, or their senses for that matter. Seems they're admiring china for its high-speed rail network; yeah, china, great example being set there. Most people there are either unable or unwilling to think for themselves.

I'm aware that I didn't use an uppercase "c" for that place; in my opinion they're not deserving of one.
Old 02-09-2019, 06:25 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
There is plenty of EXCELLENT cars to be had inexpensively...Especially if one keeps a careful watch of the used market.

For what a new Suburban costs I could get several used Escalades that would collectively outlast and outclass it...I could also get ~5 nice classic cars that fit my tastes for that money.

The only reason to spend the max money possible on a nice car is to show off wealth (or to obtain rarity). I rather have fun trying to get the most satisfaction/value for my money.

Audiokarma