Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique phonographs

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-07-2016, 09:00 AM
Gimpus Stereophilus!

Also, radiotvnut described this type of console earlier on on his YouTube videos. This is the original style "Jimmy Swaggart" console. Cheapie amplifier and speakers, cheapie BSR changer, and phono finish cabinet. Most of the lowest income, lowest educated buyers tended to purchase these units. Still better than a modern Crosley!
Old 06-07-2016, 10:32 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KentTeffeteller View Post
Also, radiotvnut described this type of console earlier on on his YouTube videos. This is the original style "Jimmy Swaggart" console. Cheapie amplifier and speakers, cheapie BSR changer, and phono finish cabinet. Most of the lowest income, lowest educated buyers tended to purchase these units. Still better than a modern Crosley!
In this case, this console was a "Reader's Digest boxed set" playback device because that's the type of records that were under the lid. Most of the ones that I find with religious records and tapes under the lid are those horrible plastic and particleboard models from the '70's.
Old 06-08-2016, 09:27 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
I read the entry and I'm trying to figure out the "Jimmy Swaggart" statement.
The way, I interpreted it was a comparison with fake, phony, etc. The thing isn't that bad.
Old 06-08-2016, 09:34 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiotvnut View Post
In this case, this console was a "Reader's Digest boxed set" playback device because that's the type of records that were under the lid. Most of the ones that I find with religious records and tapes under the lid are those horrible plastic and particleboard models from the '70's.
I like some of those RD boxed sets of the original Big Band, Swing and other vintage recordings. I usually get them at the thrifts. I can imagine, they were rather pricey when new, as they were re-recorded by RCA.
Old 06-08-2016, 10:55 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
I like some of those RD boxed sets of the original Big Band, Swing and other vintage recordings. I usually get them at the thrifts. I can imagine, they were rather pricey when new, as they were re-recorded by RCA.
Agreed, I have one of the red big band box sets and it's surprisingly good, certainly worthy of high quality playback equipment.
Audiokarma
Old 06-08-2016, 01:57 PM
Motorola Minion

Quote:
That seems to fit my experience too. We are right on the border as evidenced by CL listings that come up here - upper Appalachia to the north and west, affluent suburbs down in Northern MD-DC and to the East in Philly-NJ.

That means that the horrible consoles of the 70's, namely Capehart, Morse-Electrophonic and store brands are listed up north (usually with exxagerated prices), mid and upper level Zeniths, RCAs and Magnavox locally (sometimes at reasonable prices), and the really interesting ones far enough away and at the expected big-city prices of course.Its just not worth a 2-3 hour trip just to drool.
Old 06-08-2016, 07:29 PM
VideoKarma Member

The "Jimmy Swaggart Playback Device" phrase is a result of me finding so many such records inside the cheaper consoles that I'd find. By the mid-'70's, the main people buying consoles was likely older people and as long as it worked good enough to play their Jimmy Swaggart record, their "no name" 8-track that they bought of a group who performed at the local gospel singing, and the once a year playing of the "Firestone Christmas Album"; then, that's all that mattered. Usually, when the people got bored with their limited supply of records and tapes, the console became a place to sit pictures of the grandchildren. When the owner passed away, 30 years later, someone would come in and discover that the BSR record changer was frozen, the belt had melted on the 8-track player, and the pots were so dirty that they wouldn't even work. At that point, it was donated to the thrift store and then they dumped it in the e-waste pile.