Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > General Off Topic Forums

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-18-2018, 09:39 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxhifi View Post
Good luck finding any Lada, in Canada... I think those turned to rust many years ago.
An unrefined Kijiji search finds two out east with heavy rust (salt) but I'm seeing two in central Alberta. Apparently Lada sold a lot of em' in Canada for the few years they were available. I'd vouch they faired better out west due to less road salt and brine being used.

On topic I always thought it was something that fell out of favor? I remember there was a period where everyone had one of those handheld massaging shower heads but I have not seen a bathroom with a new one for at least a decade.
Old 06-19-2018, 01:31 AM
The Resident Brony

A lot of people have hoses in their showers in the US. I suppose it's still not considered 'normal' here. In my house we have a fixed shower head and a switchable shower hose thing. I also did all the plumbing myself, so the shower head is very high up, cuz I'm kinda tall.
Old 06-19-2018, 01:19 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Good luck finding any Lada, in Canada... I think those turned to rust many years ago.
No, that's the reputation of the Fiat 124 that the first Ladas were based on. Their rarity today is mostly the fault of our throwaway society.

Anyone with an arbitrary hatred for any particular car will call it a rustbucket.
Old 06-19-2018, 02:30 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon A. View Post
No, that's the reputation of the Fiat 124 that the first Ladas were based on. Their rarity today is mostly the fault of our throwaway society.

Anyone with an arbitrary hatred for any particular car will call it a rustbucket.
It's more so the severe driving conditions of our winters, coupled with the amount of time which has passed since the last time a Lada was sold, the low numbers sold in the first place, the number which were re-exported to Russia, where people consider the export version lada desirable compared to the ones sold domestically, and finally the fact that people seldom preserve or covot utilitarian economy cars. It all adds up to them being more or less gone from existence as something you can see in day to day life. The fact that they weren't reliable or particularly good quality also didn't help. Usually people who bought them new either bought into communist idelolgy, or were looking for something very cheap, or both. One of my friends had one which was constantly in need of repair.

The only one which turns up from time to time is the NIVA, because it's quite a capable 4x4, so some people hung on to them. That or farmers who tend to keep every car they've ever owned, because storage space is more or less free.
Old 06-23-2018, 12:30 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
It's more so the severe driving conditions of our winters, coupled with the amount of time which has passed since the last time a Lada was sold, the low numbers sold in the first place, the number which were re-exported to Russia, where people consider the export version lada desirable compared to the ones sold domestically, and finally the fact that people seldom preserve or covot utilitarian economy cars. It all adds up to them being more or less gone from existence as something you can see in day to day life. The fact that they weren't reliable or particularly good quality also didn't help. Usually people who bought them new either bought into communist idelolgy, or were looking for something very cheap, or both. One of my friends had one which was constantly in need of repair.
That one may have been abused by a previous owner as most cheap cars are. I'd rather deal with a thrashed Lada than deal with most people; no matter how rough it is it wouldn't cause me as much grief. Even the fuzz used them, they can't be that bad.
Audiokarma
Old 06-24-2018, 07:14 AM
VideoKarma Member

I had a lada for 5 years in the 90's, only problem was when I left the lights on & the battery went flat so my own fault. Cost 3,333 pounds (about $5,000) brand new, sold it back to Russia for 1,600 pounds (about $2,400) & replaced it with a citroen BX = BIG mistake, it was a right heap of bilge..
Old 06-24-2018, 08:59 AM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colly0410 View Post
I had a lada for 5 years in the 90's, only problem was when I left the lights on & the battery went flat so my own fault. Cost 3,333 pounds (about $5,000) brand new, sold it back to Russia for 1,600 pounds (about $2,400) & replaced it with a citroen BX = BIG mistake, it was a right heap of bilge..
Oh man that's gold, got to remember that one. The more colourful Brit terms I know the harder I'll be able to nail the potty-mouth scags on my side of the pond without stooping to their level which I can't stand doing anyway.
Old 06-24-2018, 10:34 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Oh man that's gold, got to remember that one. The more colourful Brit terms I know the harder I'll be able to nail the potty-mouth scags on my side of the pond without stooping to their level which I can't stand doing anyway.
Does the term "Scag" mean the same thing as it does on this side of the border. Here it means a not-too-desirable young lady.
Old 06-24-2018, 11:44 AM
VideoKarma Member

The only 'scag' I've heard of are the brilliant US country singer Ricky Skaggs & Boz Scaggs. We use 'skank' or skanky' to mean a not so clean or innocent girl. Another name for not so pretty girls is 'munter' some of my ex-girlfriends were munters, lol. A word I use for when I don't feel on top form is 'grob' i.e. "I woke up feeling a bit grob this morning." A word I use for talk/talking is 'yabber' or 'yabbering.' I sunburned my head while yabbering to the bloke across the road, BTW this is true, lol...
Old 06-24-2018, 12:45 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
Does the term "Scag" mean the same thing as it does on this side of the border. Here it means a not-too-desirable young lady.
No, it's short for scumbag. I also use some Australian slang; I lifted that one from Mad Max. I've never heard it used in such a way up here.
Quote:
The only 'scag' I've heard of are the brilliant US country singer Ricky Skaggs & Boz Scaggs. We use 'skank' or skanky' to mean a not so clean or innocent girl. Another name for not so pretty girls is 'munter' some of my ex-girlfriends were munters, lol. A word I use for when I don't feel on top form is 'grob' i.e. "I woke up feeling a bit grob this morning." A word I use for talk/talking is 'yabber' or 'yabbering.' I sunburned my head while yabbering to the bloke across the road, BTW this is true, lol...
I've heard the first two terms used to describe them but not often. Munter, another good one. As good as they may look on the outside they're often munters inside lol. I try to stay out of the sun, burning easily is only one reason. I picked up a couple of fluorescent ballasts recently; missing the bus I planned to use for the first leg of the trip buggered up everything. On the flip-flop (lifted that term from Convoy) I was thinking something like "Where's the blasted bus? I'm going to burn out here". and I did. Both routes servicing the area came only once an hour early in the afternoon. The bus system here could be described as a right pile of bilge, lol.

By the way this time of year really brings the worms out of the woodwork, among them a lot of ricers and scoot jockeys. The noise really grinds my gears. There's also a Trans Am around here that's so loud I mistook it for one of those huge late-model redneck pickups at first. Whoever drives the thing must burn a lot of gas in this area, constantly coming and going and revving the thing.

Last edited by Jon A.; 06-24-2018 at 12:56 PM.
Audiokarma
Old 06-24-2018, 03:22 PM
VideoKarma Member

Love 'ricer' & 'scoot jokey' bloke up the road sits there revving his old noisy car & those names would fit him... I've got light skin, light blue eyes & blondish hair, I burn at the first sign of sun & use factor 50 sunscreen... Buses here go to & from the local town centre every 15 mins in the day & 30 mins in the evening, from there they have buses, trains & trams to the city's of Nottingham & Derby & other towns. I still use my car if I can though as it's quicker & I don't like waiting at bus/tram stops...
Old 06-24-2018, 04:18 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Love 'ricer' & 'scoot jokey' bloke up the road sits there revving his old noisy car & those names would fit him... I've got light skin, light blue eyes & blondish hair, I burn at the first sign of sun & use factor 50 sunscreen... Buses here go to & from the local town centre every 15 mins in the day & 30 mins in the evening, from there they have buses, trains & trams to the city's of Nottingham & Derby & other towns. I still use my car if I can though as it's quicker & I don't like waiting at bus/tram stops...
Ricer usually refers to cars like those used in the Fast and Furious franchise, but I suppose it could be used to refer to the drivers as well. A less-often used variant is "rice burner". Brown hair and hazel eyes here, not pale but still pretty intolerant to direct sunlight. As Brent from Corner Gas once said, "Physical activity and direct sunlight, two of my favorite things". The public transport system over there still sounds a lot better than what we have here; the grid doesn't allow buses to stay on time. I describe one route I used on the flip-flop as a mangled corkscrew, it's the most annoying route I've ever used. I recall mom speaking of one visiting Brit who had a few not-so-good things to say about our bus system. I would use a car if I had one; not only would it be far better than waiting for buses that are frequently late and sometimes don't show up at all but I would like to be able to haul larger items sometimes which occasionally show up by the side of the road. Fortunately the last such item sat a very short distance from my place so I went back and fetched it on a flatbed trolley.
Old 06-25-2018, 03:53 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
That one may have been abused by a previous owner as most cheap cars are. I'd rather deal with a thrashed Lada than deal with most people; no matter how rough it is it wouldn't cause me as much grief. Even the fuzz used them, they can't be that bad.
If you get one, post a lot of photos, I'd especially like to see the engine. I was tempted by a NIVA once, but when I read that maintenance involves manually tightening the timing chain in the tractor derived engine every 20,000km I got quite turned off.
Old 06-26-2018, 11:38 AM
Mark

My apartment has a hand shower, I hate fixed shower heads.
Sansui 1000a, 1000, SAX-200, 5050, 9090DB, 881, SR-636, SC-3000, AT-20
Pioneer SX-939, ER-420, SM-B201
Motorola SK77W-2Z tube console
McIntosh MC2205, C26
Old 06-27-2018, 03:25 AM
The Resident Brony

Quote:
No, it's short for scumbag. I also use some Australian slang; I lifted that one from Mad Max. I've never heard it used in such a way up here.
Oh boy. You'd like my friend Leo. He's got the dirtiest mouth down under. I love it! The shit he says, I swear...
Audiokarma