Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique phonographs

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-20-2012, 04:37 PM
VideoKarma Member

Birch model 75 78 rpm electric phonograph

I just received this old Birch model 75 78 rpm record player as a result of not being able to control myself on ebay. Seriously, 78-only electric record players rarely ever show up; so, I decided to jump on this one. The latches are rusty and the case is dirty; but, I think some cleaning and steel wool will solve that. It uses a two tube (35Z5 and 50L6) amp and the speaker is made by Rola. Someone tacked in another filter cap and there was a yellow Aerovox Dandee electrolytic cap rolling around in the bottom of the cabinet. Since this has no preamp stage, it uses a high output crystal cartridge. I could use a modern cartridge and add a preamp stage; but, since these don't turn up often, I think I'll have the original cartridge rebuilt and keep it original. Besides, this tonearm is so heavy to the point that it may not do well with a current ceramic cartridge. I can't find any information on this unit; but, I'm guessing it to be made between '39-'42.