Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > General Off Topic Forums

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-31-2017, 05:19 PM
VideoKarma Member

V of M reel to reel

So I picked this up at a thrift store today. V of M tape-o-matic 736. I don't have a tape to test it with. The motor turns, the belts seem to be ok, but a lot of the mechanism is gummed up like it needs to be lubricated. What's weird is that the motor turns when I press stop and stops when I press play! I see the switch that turns the motor on and off (it's on the top right) and I don't really see how this could work any differently. Before I take this apart any further, anyone worked worked on one of these before and know what's going on?

Last edited by Adam; 10-14-2018 at 08:29 PM.
Old 12-31-2017, 11:27 PM
VideoKarma Member

There is a little doohickey in the tape path which detects when the tape has run out and switches the motor off. That's likely why it's switching off when you hit play. The motor runs whenever the unit is powered on, as I recall, but the "transmission" will be in neutral.
Old 01-01-2018, 12:32 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
So I picked this up at a thrift store today. V of M tape-o-matic 736. I don't have a tape to test it with. The motor turns, the belts seem to be ok, but a lot of the mechanism is gummed up like it needs to be lubricated. What's weird is that the motor turns when I press stop and stops when I press play! I see the switch that turns the motor on and off (it's on the top right) and I don't really see how this could work any differently. Before I take this apart any further, anyone worked worked on one of these before and know what's going on?
Brian is right. The behavior you describe is normal for that era of single motor belt driven RTR deck. That 'dohickey' is usually a lightweight lever that presses against the tape to make sure there is tape.

I've got three of it's older siblings in my collection.

What diameter reel does/can it take (it looks like 5")? I've got all reel sizes I know of in 1/4" tape....If you give me a size I can bring a full reel of tape for you to the next WARCI meet to have gratis.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 01-01-2018, 07:10 PM
VideoKarma Member

So it sounds like it is basically working like it should. I just need to try a tape, clean and lubricate some stuff, and maybe I'll recap it. While I've been into 8-tracks and records for years, this is actually the first reel to reel I've ever had.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
What diameter reel does/can it take (it looks like 5")? I've got all reel sizes I know of in 1/4" tape....If you give me a size I can bring a full reel of tape for you to the next WARCI meet to have gratis.
Thanks, it's a 5". If you're still interested in trading me that Zenith Beta VCR for my Sony U-Matic, we could do that there too. For some reason I was thinking the next swap meet was next week, but I just looked and it's on the 21st.
Old 01-01-2018, 07:17 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
So it sounds like it is basically working like it should. I just need to try a tape, clean and lubricate some stuff, and maybe I'll recap it. While I've been into 8-tracks and records for years, this is actually the first reel to reel I've ever had.

Thanks, it's a 5". If you're still interested in trading me that Zenith Beta VCR for my Sony U-Matic, we could do that there too. For some reason I was thinking the next swap meet was next week, but I just looked and it's on the 21st.
I'm planning to be there! Maybe Tom can point you out.
The meet should be at the KC hall in West Allis.
Audiokarma
Old 01-01-2018, 07:23 PM
VideoKarma Member

I went to the last 3, twice near the Milwaukee airport, and once here in Madison, you've probably seen me already.