Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Vintage TV & Radio Tech Forum

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-07-2018, 01:12 AM
VideoKarma Member

Reel-to-Reel tape deck audio problem

Hello everyone a couple of years ago I had gotten my hands on an Akai X-360D Reel-to-Reel tape recorder that was still in working order and I'm just now getting around to hooking it up to my Pioneer SX-1000 TD Stereo Receiver, using a 5-pin Din style hookup cable that came in a box of cables that I got from a friend of mine from church who is a professional musician and had given me a bunch of old audio cables he didn't need anymore.

Anyways when I went to test out my setup I wasn't I wasn't getting any audio out of my speakers when I was playing back a tape on the tape deck, but I was getting audio out of the headphone jack on the tape recorder just fine.

Apparently part of my 5-pin Din setup was working as I was getting audio out of the headphone jack using the source button on the tape deck which would feed the stereo receiver's tuner audio signal through the tape deck's headphone jack, so I know the record portion of the 5-pin Din setup is working, but the Playback portion isn't working for some reason as I can't get any audio from the tape deck to go to the receiver and out the loudspeakers using the tape monitor switch set in stereo.

Anyone here have any ideas as to what's going on with my setup, and why I'm not getting any audio out of my receiver when trying to playback a tape through my 5-pin Din Jack on my receiver?

Any help with this matter would be highly appreciated.

Last edited by vortalexfan; 11-07-2018 at 01:23 AM.
Old 12-12-2018, 10:18 PM
Gimpus Stereophilus!

headphone jack is not dependent on the 5 pin DIN. Did you reverse the input/output connections if RCA was used on the other end. Are the cables MIDI cables? Does your receiver have DIN connections? Does it have a tape monitor? If you play a tape, you must use tape, record use source to hear the input to the tape recorder. I suspect you need to put the tape source/tape play switch into tape to play a tape.
Old 12-13-2018, 12:21 AM
VideoKarma Member

I actually figured out the problem, apparently the RCA inputs/outputs and the 5-pin Din Input/Output jacks can't be used at the same time on my stereo or else they'll cancel each other out (the RCA jacks will work over the 5-pin Din connection).

So I have to either use my 5-Pin Din Jack (Reel-To-Reel Tape Deck Audio) or use my Cassette Deck (RCA Audio Jacks) but I can't use both at the same time which seems weird, but that's apparently the way Pioneer Designed their SX series Stereo Receivers to be.

Has anyone else experienced this kind of issue on any other brand of stereo receiver that had both RCA Jacks and 5-pin Din Inputs for their Tape Monitor Setting of their Receiver?
Old 12-13-2018, 05:30 AM
VideoKarma Member

I'm not sure if I correctly understand everything. Are you saying that you're trying to connect a reel-to-reel tape recorder AND a cassette deck? If so, you'd need an amp/receiver with two separate tape loops. I looked at the manual for your Pioneer, and it only has one from what I can tell.

If you want to use both the R-R and cassette with that receiver, you'll either have to resort to cable-swapping when you want to use one or the other, or find an external switch box for multiple tape loops.
Old 12-13-2018, 10:54 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by user181 View Post
I'm not sure if I correctly understand everything. Are you saying that you're trying to connect a reel-to-reel tape recorder AND a cassette deck? If so, you'd need an amp/receiver with two separate tape loops. I looked at the manual for your Pioneer, and it only has one from what I can tell.

If you want to use both the R-R and cassette with that receiver, you'll either have to resort to cable-swapping when you want to use one or the other, or find an external switch box for multiple tape loops.

Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying, I was trying to hook up the reel-to-reel and the cassette Deck both at once on my stereo, which I thought that since it had both a 5 pin din Jack and RCA Jacks that it had two tape amps but apparently it only has one and you have to use either the 5 pin din or the RCA input but not both at once.

There is a Tape Head setting and hookup on the back but I'm not sure if I can use that for my Reel-to-Reel tape player or not and just use my tape monitor hookup for my cassette Deck...
Audiokarma
Old 12-13-2018, 02:08 PM
VideoKarma Member

Jacks often have built in switches. Example would be a TV with
both RCA ( composite) & a S video both on AUX 1. The switch tells the
switching IC which to "see". This way you can have multiple inputs
that can be used for more than one input type, AKA flexibility......

73 Zeno
LFOD !
Old 12-13-2018, 03:29 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vortalexfan View Post

There is a Tape Head setting and hookup on the back but I'm not sure if I can use that for my Reel-to-Reel tape player or not and just use my tape monitor hookup for my cassette Deck...

Yes, that could be an option if you just want to use one deck or the other as playback-only.
Old 12-13-2018, 05:19 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeno View Post
Jacks often have built in switches. Example would be a TV with
both RCA ( composite) & a S video both on AUX 1. The switch tells the
switching IC which to "see". This way you can have multiple inputs
that can be used for more than one input type, AKA flexibility......

73 Zeno
LFOD !
70s din gear was the same but more privative... there was usually a switch in the din jack to over ride the RCA input when din was connected.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4