Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-17-2015, 09:25 PM
VideoKarma Member

Rca 8x541

I have a RCA 8X541 radio that I have recapped and checked all the tubes and resistors. It works fine on the upper end of the dial, but once you get below 1200kc there is a buzz and very little reception. Above 1200 I get lots of stations. I was even picking up a station from Mobile, Al. which is not bad for West TN. The buzz seems to go away in some spots like around 700 but it comes back. I should pick up stations from Memphis and of course 650 out of Nashville, but it just seems deaf on the low end of the dial. Any ideas?
Old 02-18-2015, 04:02 PM
VideoKarma Member

Check the plates on the tuning condenser, sounds like they might be touching as they mesh together. Usually its one near the outer end that can get slightly bent.
Old 02-18-2015, 08:13 PM
VideoKarma Member

If you have a buzz and little reception in the lower half of your dial, try turning off everything else in your house, especially nearby lighting and see how that changes the reception.

Old 02-18-2015, 08:13 PM
VideoKarma Member

Checked the tuning condenser plates and one of the outer ones in the oscillator section was bent out. I moved it back and I have reception across the band. It seams fairly sensitive, and the selectivity is good. Now the Buzz is coming in from 550 to about 650 then quiet up to about 850. Then buzz goes to about 1100kc. Above 1100 there is no buzz and stations are right where they should be and it works fine. I think the buzz is coming from something here in the house. It could be any one of the many cfl bulbs, the router, the printers that are always on, or maybe one of the computers. Who knows.
Old 02-18-2015, 08:17 PM
VideoKarma Member

I have tried turning off the lights in the shop and the router. No change. I will also say that even in the area of the buzz a strong station will come in. I have not changed any of the tubes since they all check good and I don't have some of them extra to try. Radio performance otherwise is quite good. I may put it back in the cabinet and call it done until I get a signal generator to check the alighment.
Audiokarma
Old 02-18-2015, 08:28 PM
VideoKarma Member

Try another radio and see if you get the same or similar interference.
Old 02-19-2015, 05:19 PM
VideoKarma Member

Well the buzz is not in my radio. It is outside interference. I tried a couple of other radios and the result is the same interference. Now I have not found anything in the house causing it and I am wondering if it could be coming from the transformer on the pole outside. I will call the utillity company after the ice is gone.
Old 02-19-2015, 05:42 PM
TheUniversalDave1

Yeah, transformers and light ballasts aren't that great for listening to AM radio.
Old 02-19-2015, 06:43 PM
VideoKarma Member

Remember to keep a couple of battery radios in the house ready to go next time your utilities go down. It's a great time to do some DXing when all the local interference is down.

Old 02-19-2015, 07:45 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hey Bill:
I had that same buzz interference at one time and it turned out to be one of those touch lamps. My daughter had one in her room and just being plugged in caused all kinds of noise and it got worse when the lamp was on. The way I found it was with a pocket transistor radio and just I walked around the house with the radio on and as I got closer to the source the noise got louder until I found the offending lamp. I unplugged it and no more interference. Hope yours is as easy to fix!

Gregb
Audiokarma
Old 02-19-2015, 09:43 PM
VideoKarma Member

In my case the noise is the same no matter where I am in the house. There is a transformer on the pole in the corner of my yard. I have been from one end of the house to the other, turning on and off lights. It could be something like the cable boxes or on of the tv's.
Old 02-19-2015, 10:00 PM
M is for Memory

You could always turn the main breaker off during the day and see if it stops...If it does you could turn on the individual breakers one at a time until it resumes, and check that circuit.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4