Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-21-2014, 01:15 AM
M is for Memory

For a unit like that a reel to reel would be appropriate too, and would sound better than the 8-track...

The transistor swapping is a good idea. That is how I found a bad chroma amp on my Zenith hybrid TV. The three chroma amp transistor sockets were all oriented the same way so swapping was a nobrainer...Granted they were covered in big heat sinks so no dots were there to be seen.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 12-21-2014, 05:45 PM
VideoKarma Member

I thought about getting a reel to reel to go with this, but I decided to go with the 8-track. I might still go for both.

I did fix that 8-track, the problem was just bad solder joints. The record button is connected to a switch mounted right on the circuit board with the amplifier circuits. I guess somebody pressed that record button a lot. Resoldering all the contact points to that switch fixed the problem.
Old 12-21-2014, 08:27 PM
VideoKarma Member

So I don't know whether it's the base, collector or emitter, but the red dots are in the same place on every transistor. Swapping transistors like I said worked, the bad one is the one right before the output. A 121-399.

The one before that also on the left side, while good, says it should be a 121-305 but was replaced with a 121-399. It doesn't seem to make any difference though, swapping it with the correct 121-305 on the right side doesn't change the sound on either side. And a few quick internet searches are telling me the NTE102A will substitute for both of them.

Last edited by Adam; 12-27-2017 at 01:45 PM.
Old 12-24-2014, 08:14 PM
VideoKarma Member

I replaced that transistor, and I got a few extras incase another one goes bad. (The red dot points to the collector.) I'm leaving the record changer like it is for now, it doesn't really bother me if it doesn't reject automatically. I'll eventually get back to it.

It's nice to be able to play records and 8-tracks again. I haven't had a working record player since 2010, and a working 8-track since 2008. I already carried all my 33s out of the basement, but I still have to get out my 78s.

Last edited by Adam; 12-27-2017 at 01:45 PM.
Old 07-14-2016, 11:44 PM
VideoKarma Member

This always sounded best with the bass turned way down and the treble way up. Tonight I went and swapped out those capacitors going to the tweeters, figuring if they were leaky they were letting too much low frequency sound thorough to the tweeters. It sounded good before, but it sounds way better now. It sounded so good I've just been sitting and listening to records for two hours, and I missed Perry Mason (which I try to watch nearly every weeknight).