Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-09-2002, 03:26 PM
Admin

Found a couple of radios today

Hey all you radio guys can you indentify these two radios. One says Trav-Ler 5002. I think its Bakelite. How does one clean Bakelite? It powers up but has a god aweful hum so I gather it needs needs caps. The Case is in super nice shape. Any ideas as to the year made or value.

The second is a nice wood case Magnavox. The only numbers I can find are 58 97A. Same goes for this one. can you guys give me some info. Most likey they will go to Ebay to help fund my Audio addiction. Also This seller has what she said was a 1938 Philco she thought. It stood around 4Ft tall and was in awesome condition. I did not see it but thats what she said. If indeed it is a Philco what could something like thta be worth. She wants me to make an offer but I am in the dark about such thing.

Grumpy
Old 08-09-2002, 03:30 PM
Admin

Radio #2
Old 08-09-2002, 10:59 PM
Administrator

The Trav-Ler dates from about 1947, books out at 30.00-40.00, but condition and cleanliness is everything....recapping one of those is a 10 minute job, let me know if you need caps. The Magnavox looks like about a $5 garage sale job, but it might go well, although I'd be surprised if it fetched more than $20.

Now, let's talk about the Philco

Look for the words "Philco High Fidelity" on the front just above the speaker. If you see it, GRAB IT! Those sets usually bring $300-$400 not working. Count the tubes, give me the model number, what have you. For Philco, 1938 is pretty much universally accepted as the best they ever made, so no matter what it is, you're sure to get a great set!
Old 08-22-2002, 06:31 PM
On Land

Re: Found a couple of radios today

Quote:
Originally posted by grumpy
Hey all you radio guys can you indentify these two radios. One says Trav-Ler 5002. I think its Bakelite. How does one clean Bakelite?

Grumpy
I have cleaned several Bakelite sets with car wax... not just regular wax... the cleaner-wax. Mequiar's in the red bottle is usually what I use. It takes off the grime really good and puts a great shine on it. If it is pretty grungy, you might have to apply and wipe off twice and then hand buff it with a soft rag. You might want to have an old soft toothbrush on hand to clean any left over wax out of the corners where you cant get the rag.

I don't know if anyone else uses that, but I have for a few years now and I always get great results! Sometimes I use it on plastic as well.

Recently, I re-capped an old RCA for a friend. It was pretty dirty, so I put some Mequiar's on it after I finished the electrics. It made a MAJOR difference for the set! When my friend came to pick it up, he couldn't believe it was his set.

Of course, if you try it, always start somewhere like the bottom of the cabinet first to see what your results will be. I think you will be satisfied!

He who dies with the most toys still dies.
Old 08-22-2002, 07:14 PM
On Land

Does anyone recognize this set? It is a Mantola... I think somewhere between 1935-1938. I picked it up from a friend a few years ago, threw in some knew caps and replaced the 6U5, and boom! I was in service! The model number has faded from the tag on the back of the chassis, and I can just barely make out the serial number.

This set is BC-SW. I don't remember all the tubes, but i do remember it having a 2A3 and a 41... and then of course the 6U5.

If anyone recognizes this and knows a model number, let me know.

Thanks!

Charlie

Audiokarma
Old 08-22-2002, 07:36 PM
THOR

Damm I don't know what it is but it is damm kewl looking, that green light looks like an eye!!
Old 08-22-2002, 07:57 PM
On Land

Yeah, I call the eye tuning indicator "that creepy eye!" Was something I used to hear David Letterman say a few years ago about the cbs eye. My Curtis Mathes stereo has one as well.

Charlie

Old 05-06-2003, 07:29 PM
<----Zenith C845

Talking Another way to clean Bakelite cabinets

Charlie T -

I'd never heard of Mequiar's before I read your post. However, I just cleaned the bakelite cabinet of my 1951 Zenith H511 with Endust. Shines up the cabinet nicely and even brightens the Zenith nameplate across the front somewhat.

Kind regards,

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.
Old 05-09-2003, 02:50 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Gents- I've used Meguier's for cleaning bakelite & found it works quite well. Sometimes you may have to put 2 or 3 coats on B4 you get the result you want, but remember, you're getting 50+ years of oxidation,dirt, smoke & Lord knows what else off the set. Yeah, those Eye tubes are Hot Stuff-my Scott 800-B from '47 has 2 of 'em-but only one of 'em works at a time. There is an outfit, Kiwa Electronics, that used to sell a "magic eye" adaptor for R-390As & stuff like that. I bought one, but never could get it to gee 'n' haw right. They also make a medium wave loop antenna that will make yr old set come alive. Kinda expensive, though-Sandy G.