Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-11-2009, 06:15 PM
AK Member

New here & first post!

Hello all. I stumbled upon this site while trying to find info on Magnavox Stereo consoles. I recently picked up my mom & dads 1969 Magnavox Astro-sonic console. It is now 40 years old & still is in great condition. It has sat for some years due to my fathers passing away and my mom not having room to store it inside due to small living quarters.
But also, my nephew when he was younger messed with it & broke the tunning needle for the radio station, so it wont play radio stations cause its stuck between stations. Also he broke the needle for it. I hooked up a cd player to it & man it sounds great. I would like to fix it up for her so the radio & record player will work again. I have that problem alot of the older units have where you have to turn your knobs slowly to get the volume or balance right cause of the static type sound coming thru the speakers due to a bad contact on the knobs. I read here that the suff Deoxic works really well on this issue. My question is, due you spray it up top after you remove knobs and cover or is it done from underneath after removing back panel? Also on this model I see that the neddle moves up & down by way of a string on both sides of the needle enabline it to travel. The string broke loose & does not allow for station tunning.

I keep looking online & I cant find any info ANYWHERE for my model number. I took off the back panel and looked and saw the paper on the back inside and it says model # is 1P4003-Finish is Pecn- Run#2-175 watts. I would appreciate any help you all can give me. I just signed up to this forum & look forward to the wealth of info & love of these old great sounding consoles. I will post some pics of it once I figure how to. Thanks.
Old 07-11-2009, 06:44 PM
AK Member

welcome aboard

i have no electornics expertise but if u deoxit make sure u unplug unit and wait for a few hours (or 24 hours) for it to dry before u fire it up. it's suggested to turn knobs a hundred times back and forth to work in the deoxit. u should be able to replace the tuning string. good luck and welcome.
Old 07-13-2009, 03:07 PM
VideoKarma Member

Mr. L, despite the seemingly great age of that unit, if it's really late 60s it is not a tube unit and would be considered "vintage solid state". You might get more discussion in that forum. But to answer your deoxit question, see the "Idiot's Guide to Deoxit" thread, link below. It will have a lot of good info.

http://audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=207005

And welcome to AK!