Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-19-2011, 10:30 PM
Workin' Late Again

Hi Bob,

Do you remember this place?

Check out the list price of a new 21AXP22A in 1960

Kevin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg S&M1.jpg (74.3 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg S&M3.jpg (123.3 KB, 69 views)

Last edited by Kevin Kuehn; 01-19-2011 at 10:38 PM.
Old 01-20-2011, 12:53 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hi Kevin,

I'd figured I get Madison represented in this Wisconsin-centric part of the thread. You are lucky to have Bushland radio near by. The last of the old-time TV repair shops around here closed years ago.

That's good news about the fly. That set looks fairly low mileage to me. I wonder if what looks like melted insulation on the cracked HOT lead was actually a repair attempt

With the temps going way below zero tonight, it a good time to be around glowing vacuum tubes!

-Clark (in Madison)
Old 01-20-2011, 02:56 PM
Bob Galanter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Kuehn View Post
Hi Bob,

Do you remember this place?

Check out the list price of a new 21AXP22A in 1960

Kevin
No Kevin I am not familiar with S&M. I have always lived in the Milwaukee area, and the RCA distributor for this area was Taylor Electric. I believe every RCA authorized parts distributor was assigned a specific geographic territory to cover. I think Tayor Electric had the southeast portion of Wisconsin which covered north up to Green bay and possibly as far north as Marinette. It was the biggest territory in the state population wise and very lucrative for the company. They also were the distributors for RCA Whirlpool appliances. The building they occupied was huge. There were about a dozen semi truck docks on the shipping and receiving side of the building. The photo below is from Google Earth and shows how big the building was and they occupied all of it.

A lot of people were employeed by Taylor Electric. When RCA started going down the tubes, Taylor Electric started shrinking it's opperation. Eventually all those Taylor employees lost their jobs due to the demise of RCA. And then multiply this by all the other RCA distributors across the entire country and you begin to realize how bad a thing it was that RCA went under. This is a prime example of why we, as Americans, need to get back into manufacturing. It's not just the people who work in the factories who have jobs, it's all the ancilary jobs that are attached to those manufacturing companies. Service, sales, and parts distribution companies all who depend on the manufacturing of American products.

Hopefully the future will see the pendulum swing back in our direction. With jobs as difficult to get as they are today, there is bound to be pressure for our cost of labor to become more competitive in the world ecconomy. When that happens, we will once again be able to compete in manufacturing, and our ecconomy will thrive again. But not until manufacturing recovers, will we see a substantial reduction in unemployment. Sorry for the rant, but the demise of RCA was, in my opinion, a failure equal in proportion to if the US auto industry had gone under. We must stop the exportation of our manufacturing base to foreign countries. We have the technology, the skil and the know-how, all we need is a competitive labor pool.

$160 for a 21AXP22 in 1960 was big money. Even a 15GP22 was $160. In todays dollars it would be $1175. So I guess I better revalue my color sets with good 21AXP22 crt's in them. Lets see, I think I have 9 of them currently. Woops forgot the 21AXP22 test jig, so that makes and even 10.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Taylor Electric.jpg (75.2 KB, 42 views)

New Web Site under developement
ME http://AntiqueTvGuy.com
Old 01-20-2011, 05:24 PM
Workin' Late Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsthmusTV View Post
Hi Kevin,
I'd figured I get Madison represented in this Wisconsin-centric part of the thread. You are lucky to have Bushland radio near by. The last of the old-time TV repair shops around here closed years ago.
Hi Clark,

I guess Eau Claire must be the regional hot spot for old TV guys to hang out. I honestly don't understand what keeps a place like that going these days. There must be some local industry or medical demands that I'm not aware of. I seriously doubt they're selling much to the consumer electronics-servicing segment today. Both Bushland and Indianhead down on Barstow are like walking into a time warp. Very cool, but also a little sad to see all the old parts setting around that hardly no one wants any more. I hope more people like Bob can save a bunch of these parts before they end up in the dumpster. Unfortunately most of what’s left of the NOS is likely 70’s and 80’s vintage TV parts.

Kevin
Old 01-20-2011, 05:37 PM
Workin' Late Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohohyodafarted View Post
A lot of people were employeed by Taylor Electric. When RCA started going down the tubes, Taylor Electric started shrinking it's opperation. Eventually all those Taylor employees lost their jobs due to the demise of RCA. And then multiply this by all the other RCA distributors across the entire country and you begin to realize how bad a thing it was that RCA went under. This is a prime example of why we, as Americans, need to get back into manufacturing. It's not just the people who work in the factories who have jobs, it's all the ancilary jobs that are attached to those manufacturing companies. Service, sales, and parts distribution companies all who depend on the manufacturing of American products.

Hopefully the future will see the pendulum swing back in our direction. With jobs as difficult to get as they are today, there is bound to be pressure for our cost of labor to become more competitive in the world ecconomy. When that happens, we will once again be able to compete in manufacturing, and our ecconomy will thrive again. But not until manufacturing recovers, will we see a substantial reduction in unemployment. Sorry for the rant, but the demise of RCA was, in my opinion, a failure equal in proportion to if the US auto industry had gone under. We must stop the exportation of our manufacturing base to foreign countries. We have the technology, the skil and the know-how, all we need is a competitive labor pool.
Bob,

Very interesting about RCA and Taylor. No problem with the rant, I'm right there with you, on those thoughts. I sure hope we can bring back some or manufacturing base to this country.

Along with lower labor cost, we also need to start teaching our youths the value of saving up for something nice that’s made with pride right here in this country. Instead of the "I want it now", and "I need it cheap" attitude.

Kevin
Audiokarma
Old 01-23-2011, 02:33 PM
Workin' Late Again

I got the SAMS folder for my set. The only CRT listed for this set is a
21FBP22

Kevin
Old 01-24-2011, 10:12 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Kuehn View Post
I got the SAMS folder for my set. The only CRT listed for this set is a
21FBP22

Kevin
The FJP tube is perfectly fine in your set. If not mistaken, it is the same tube.. Just has the safety glass.

My CTC-10 set.... I'd list the model if I had one anywhere on the set.... came with a CYP22. Its neck was broken when the set fell into my hands. I had a FBP tube from another set on hand at the time, and used it for my set. I found out a few years ago, that I should make circuit changes in my '10' to get better color from the FBP.

I used the set with the first FBP tube for over 10 years before I bought a rebuilt tube from Video Display in Atlanta. That tube is still trucking along, and still has the original CYP circuitry. I've wondered recently how much better this old girl might look with the mods.

Good luck with your restoration.

Bruce
Old 01-25-2011, 12:48 AM
Workin' Late Again

Midnight Madness

I replaced the cracked plate cap wire going to the HOT, then popped a new
6DQ5 in along with replaced the 6DE4 sub with a new 6AU4.

Then I slowly brought the set up on the metered variac with a second current meter in the cathode of the 6DQ5.

It isn’t pretty, but it's trying to do its thing. Pretty exciting to see that big round CRT light up, got so excited I couldn't hold the camera straight.

Gonna have to go have a couple beer's now and see if I can get some sleep

Kevin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CTC11 001.jpg (71.4 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg CTC11 004.jpg (81.6 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg CTC11 007.jpg (77.1 KB, 46 views)
Old 01-25-2011, 01:33 AM
RCA 741PCS

Lookin' good
Old 01-26-2011, 08:32 PM
Workin' Late Again

The other night I touched up the vertical linearity and height. Then I tried moving those center convergence magnets around as best I could while looking through that big scab on the CRT. I'm about finished messing with it until I get the nerve to pull the CRT and do the surgery. Still not sure if I like that process.

Kevin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CTC9.jpg (70.5 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg CTC10.jpg (68.7 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg CTC11.jpg (78.8 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg CTC12.jpg (34.9 KB, 53 views)

Last edited by Kevin Kuehn; 01-26-2011 at 08:36 PM.
Audiokarma
Old 01-27-2011, 06:55 AM
Mark

Looking very promising! I don't think I've ever seen a cataract so perfectly round in all my life, it almost looks like there's a target on.......OOPS no politics
Sansui 1000a, 1000, SAX-200, 5050, 9090DB, 881, SR-636, SC-3000, AT-20
Pioneer SX-939, ER-420, SM-B201
Motorola SK77W-2Z tube console
McIntosh MC2205, C26
Old 01-27-2011, 07:53 AM
sampson159

that set looks good.the color and tint looks spot on.when you do the surgery, that will be a beautiful set to have.great find and save!
Old 01-27-2011, 09:02 AM
First Light: 1952-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenithfan1 View Post
it almost looks like there's a target on.......OOPS no politics

It's OK Mark, you're not working for CNN so you can say whatever you want!
Old 01-27-2011, 11:00 AM
Workin' Late Again

You guys are toooo funny

I was thinking this TV has a built in test target, was way before it's time.

Kevin