Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-05-2012, 05:35 AM
VideoKarma Member

Unkown 13" Samsung Color Tv...

Well, to me anyway.Anybody here have a clue what model no. and date of manufacture this set would be? What would be a fair price to offer him? Little set looks interesting....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tn.jpg (36.2 KB, 56 views)

"IPC 610 Class E & J STD-001 Certified"
Old 07-05-2012, 07:12 AM
"micro" and quirky

Location: I'm in San Diego, but lived in Hong Kong for a long time
Never seen one of those. Like the little sliders for tint/color.

Is the bezel cracked at the bottom? Are you SURE it's solid state? Usually these sets brag they are solid state right on front.

Always find it odd Sony brags "solid state" when I'm pretty sure ALL their sets were solid state....starting with the 301 from what I know. I've never seen a Sony ANYTHING with tubes (ummm...besides the CRT...and the HV rectifiers in the early sets)
Old 07-05-2012, 07:42 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiboPet View Post
Never seen one of those. Like the little sliders for tint/color.

Is the bezel cracked at the bottom? Are you SURE it's solid state? Usually these sets brag they are solid state right on front.

Always find it odd Sony brags "solid state" when I'm pretty sure ALL their sets were solid state....starting with the 301 from what I know. I've never seen a Sony ANYTHING with tubes (ummm...besides the CRT...and the HV rectifiers in the early sets)
I don't think it's cracked,looks like a piece of dead grass to me.
It also looks like it's been in a shed/barn for quite awhile.
Looks like a late 70's set but i could be wrong
I'm still awaiting an answer from the owner....

Old 07-05-2012, 07:57 AM
"micro" and quirky

Yeah....LOOKS late 70's to me. Reminds me of the Sony "twelves".

Do find it interesting that it's a Samsung. Even being raised in Hong Kong, I don't really remember much from Samsung before the early to mid '80s.
Old 07-05-2012, 10:26 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiboPet View Post
Yeah....LOOKS late 70's to me. Reminds me of the Sony "twelves".

Do find it interesting that it's a Samsung. Even being raised in Hong Kong, I don't really remember much from Samsung before the early to mid '80s.
Well, from what i read so far, Samsung started exporting color sets in '77 and that's all i know....

Audiokarma
Old 07-05-2012, 11:31 AM
VideoKarma Member

Years ago, I had one of those and it was made somewhere between '79-'81. It's the oldest Samsung that I've ever seen and, oddly, it had an old fashioned AC interlock on the back, like what was on tube sets. I sold my set to a lady, about 15 years ago, and I think she still uses it. Today, I'd probably offer him $5, $10 if he could show me that it worked properly. That's still $5-$10 more than a non-collector would give for it.
Old 07-05-2012, 11:43 AM
VideoKarma Member

Lol those prices make me feel like I paid to much for MY Samsung, $15 and with flyback problems..

Radiotvnut, what would you have paid for my Samsung before I repaired it, and after my repairs and adjustments? Just wondering if I did good in the end myself. Cause i LOVE the TV and am still thankful you told me about the flyback issues they had, you were spot on.
Old 07-05-2012, 12:28 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiotvnut View Post
Years ago, I had one of those and it was made somewhere between '79-'81. It's the oldest Samsung that I've ever seen and, oddly, it had an old fashioned AC interlock on the back, like what was on tube sets. I sold my set to a lady, about 15 years ago, and I think she still uses it. Today, I'd probably offer him $5, $10 if he could show me that it worked properly. That's still $5-$10 more than a non-collector would give for it.
Well, no email response as of yet and judging by the looks of the set, i'd be afraid of plugging it in!Plus i have no clue as to where this guy lives.Anything around the corner up here is at least 20 to 30 or more miles one way.so i have to factor that in as well.
As of right now,it looks like a crapshoot.....

Old 07-05-2012, 01:52 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnx64 View Post
Lol those prices make me feel like I paid to much for MY Samsung, $15 and with flyback problems..

Radiotvnut, what would you have paid for my Samsung before I repaired it, and after my repairs and adjustments? Just wondering if I did good in the end myself. Cause i LOVE the TV and am still thankful you told me about the flyback issues they had, you were spot on.
Had I seen that TV in un-serviced condition at the thrift store or at a yard sale. I probably wouldn't have paid more than $10 for it. If it had been serviced and if I needed a TV, I'd probably pay $25-$30 for it. The reason I wouldn't pay any more is because all I'd have to do is place an ad in the paper, stating "Free pick-up of non-working TV's" and I'd get many calls from people wanting to give away similar TV's from the '80's and '90's. Since everyone thinks they must have a flatscreen, I'd probably get a bunch of working TV's, just to get them out of their way. Usually, when someone ask me if I'll buy their broken TV, my reply is, "No, I get enough of them given to me for free". About the only kind of TV's that I'll shell out for are pre-1980 sets that I find interesting because TV's from that era are getting hard to find.

However, it really doesn't matter what I'd pay for your TV. What matters is how well you like it and if you like the TV; then, it's up to you to decide how much you wish to spend on it. Some people think I'm crazy for buying some of the stuff I bring home; but, I buy what I like and the negative opinions of others mean nothing to me.
Old 07-05-2012, 04:50 PM
Administrator

There was a Samsung at the Thrift recently for $6.98, it was in fairly good shape but I didn't check to see if it worked.

I think it was from the early 80's and it had knob tuners.

What surprised me was it said "Made in the U.S.A." on the back, now was it actually "Made" here or just assembled here from Korean parts?

On a side note, when I first moved out of my parents house (1988) I moved in with a roomie who had a near new 19" Samsung, I had a ten year old GE 19".

We decided to keep the Sammy and sell the GE at a yard sale because the Sammy was newer.
Well of course a few months later the Samsung puked it's Flyback, no doubt the GE was still playing somewhere.

Last edited by Eric H; 07-05-2012 at 04:54 PM.
Audiokarma
Old 07-05-2012, 05:35 PM
VideoKarma Member

Mine says made in USA also..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...n/IMG_0348.jpg
Old 07-05-2012, 07:50 PM
VideoKarma Member

Well, he finally got back to me on the tv.He has it "bundled" with a couple of cheapo stereo's for $20.I have no idea if this set works or not.The only good thing is that he's not too far from me.Do you think i should pull the trigger on what appears to be a seldom seen set?Your opinions please....

Old 07-05-2012, 08:44 PM
"micro" and quirky

20 bucks.....I would. Not sure WHERE I would put it, but I like the little sliders, and I like that "tidy" uncomplicated look.....almost as much as I like "crazy WTF?" design.

I do already have a little Sears set coming from "epay" that I got because it looks cute and tidy...only payed $10.50 for it. Costing more to SHIP the thing :-P

I don't even know if it's a 9" or a 13"...but it is an old 70's solid state set.

I'd say go for it...unless you really don't LIKE that mystery....and trying to guess what sort of "stuff" he's OFFLOADING on you as well. You can always TOSS the crap....give it away, or do like me and suddenly go LOOKING for 8-track tapes or whatever :-P
Old 07-05-2012, 09:48 PM
VideoKarma Member

Its all what its worth to you. If you want it and can use it and it will add value to your life...just buy it.

I see those out on the street all the time and dont even slow down. But if it was a 1970 13" Zenith Metal Color Tabletop my wallet would open up so wide.

If you want it and like it, just buy it.
Whates even $50 today? A tank of gas? Two people to a movie?
Old 07-05-2012, 10:45 PM
VideoKarma Member

If the stereo's can be made usable without too much trouble, you can probably flip them and get your money back.
Audiokarma