Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-29-2015, 08:13 PM
VideoKarma Member

Cathode Ray Tube Antitrust Litigation

http://www.crtdirectpurchaserantitrustsettlement.com/
"The lawsuit alleges that Defendants and co-conspirators conspired to raise and fix the prices of CRTs and the CRTs contained in certain finished products for over ten years, resulting in overcharges to direct purchasers of those CRTs and certain finished products containing CRTs."

"Settlement Class Members: All persons and entities who, between March 1, 1995 and November 25, 2007, directly purchased a CRT Product in the United States from any Defendant or subsidiary or affiliate thereof, or any co-conspirator."

"CRT Products: Cathode Ray Tubes (e.g., color display tubes, color picture tubes) and finished products which contain Cathode Ray Tubes, such as Televisions and Computer Monitors."

But did you keep the receipts when you bought the TV set and not thrown the receipts out by now?
Old 06-29-2015, 08:33 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa2ise View Post
But did you keep the receipts when you bought the TV set and not thrown the receipts out by now?
No, but it's kind of a moot point for me being North of the border. I'm thankful for being in this country though so I'm not complaining about such a trivial thing.

I bought an aught '5 Sanyo to replace a 1989 Magnasonic with collapsed vertical. It's the only new set I ever had.
Old 06-29-2015, 10:20 PM
The glass is -3dB.

Lets see who they missed: (I've removed duplicates where obvious...)

Well known Defendants:

Thompson, Mitsubishi, LG, Philips, Samsung, Toshiba, Panasonic (Matsushita), Hitachi, Daewoo.

Uncommon Defendants:

Videocon, Tatung, Chunghwa, IRICO.

I wonder why there's a few big names that are missing here. (Not referring to holding-companies or officially defunct entities... We know there's no money behind those doors.) Examples include JVC, GE, NEC, Orion, GoldStar(Might be part of a holding-company.), Pioneer, Sanyo, Sylvania, Symphonic, Viewsonic, Yamaha, etc.

Just to twist the knife, Tandy, Realistic, Archer, RadioShack et-al belong on the list.

I wonder how Sony gets no mention. Trinitron and price-fixing go together like salt and pepper!
Old 06-30-2015, 08:59 AM
Followin' the Rules...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoPegs View Post
Lets see who they missed: (I've removed duplicates where obvious...)

Well known Defendants:

Thompson, Mitsubishi, LG, Philips, Samsung, Toshiba, Panasonic (Matsushita), Hitachi, Daewoo.

Uncommon Defendants:

Videocon, Tatung, Chunghwa, IRICO.

I wonder why there's a few big names that are missing here. (Not referring to holding-companies or officially defunct entities... We know there's no money behind those doors.) Examples include JVC, GE, NEC, Orion, GoldStar(Might be part of a holding-company.), Pioneer, Sanyo, Sylvania, Symphonic, Viewsonic, Yamaha, etc.

Just to twist the knife, Tandy, Realistic, Archer, RadioShack et-al belong on the list.

I wonder how Sony gets no mention. Trinitron and price-fixing go together like salt and pepper!
And don't forget Rauland - Zenith's CRT builder. Might be listed as LG, the holder of all things Zenith....
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!
Old 07-01-2015, 01:43 AM
Another CT-100 lives!

GoldStar is the old name for LG.

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Audiokarma
Old 07-01-2015, 04:34 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
GoldStar(Might be part of a holding-company.)
LG is Goldstar

Wasn't some translation "Lucky Goldstar" or some-such?
Old 07-01-2015, 04:48 AM
Not sure how I got here.

The Settlement with Thomson and TDA provides for a payment in the amount of $9,750,000
The settlement with CPT provides for payment of $10,000,000
The Settlement with Philips provides for payment of $27,000,000
The Settlement with Panasonic provides for a payment in the amount of $17,500,000
The Settlement with LG provides for a payment in the amount of $25,000,000
The Settlement with Toshiba provides for a payment in the amount of $13,500,000
The Settlement with Hitachi provides for a payment in the amount of $13,450,000
The Settlement with Samsung SDI provides for a payment in the amount of $33,000,000
and more.......

I guess that explains the mini-yahcts with odd names like " Toshiba 21S23 "

--------------

When Can I Get a Payment?

No money will be distributed to any Settlement Class Member yet. The lawyers will pursue the lawsuit against the non-settling defendants to see if any future settlements or judgments can be obtained in the case and then be distributed together, to reduce expenses.

Any future distribution of the Settlement Funds will be done on a pro rata basis. Identified Settlement Class Members will be notified in the future when and where to send a claim form. DO NOT SEND ANY CLAIMS NOW.

In the future, each Settlement Class member's pro rata share of the Settlement Fund will be determined by computing each valid claimant's total CRT Product purchases divided by the total valid CRT Product purchases claimed. This percentage is multiplied to the Net Settlement Fund (total settlements minus all costs, attorneys' fees, and expenses) to determine each claimants pro rata share of the Settlement Fund. To determine Settlement Class Members' CRT Product purchases, CRT tubes (color display and color picture) are calculated at full value (100%) while CRT televisions are valued at 50% and CRT computer monitors are valued at 75%.

In summary, all valid claimants will share in the settlement funds on a pro rata basis determined by the CRT value of the product purchased - tubes 100%, monitors 75% and televisions 50%.

--------------

So I guess the big money is in it for those who got a 34" CRT set and paid
full price at Sears or something like that.....

Never woulda thought.....

I guess we get ripped off on every dam thing we buy.......
Kinda somewhat maybe explains replacement crt's listed for more
than an entire set......

Last edited by Username1; 07-01-2015 at 04:56 AM.
Old 07-01-2015, 06:17 AM
VideoKarma Member

And the 90's was when Zenith CRT's went to shit. So anyone buying a Zenith in the 90's got overcharged for an inferior quality CRT.
Old 07-01-2015, 10:43 AM
Administrator

Consumers will get their $1.50, Lawyers will get their millions and the manufacturers will pass the cost of this back to the consumer on their new sets.
Old 07-01-2015, 01:01 PM
VideoKarma Member

(un)Lucky GoldStar in the past used Matsushita color CRTs in their products such as monitors and oscilloscopes. Don't know if they did the same for their TVs however, they probably used Orion. Their monochrome monitors and equipment such as radars used their own tubes. I was convinced that when Goldstar sourced their 8" color CRTs for some of their radars and echo sounders that Matsushita gave them seconds as these tubes more often than not went gassy. However, CRTs were the least of their problems back then.
Audiokarma
Old 07-01-2015, 01:18 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Username1 View Post
I guess we get ripped off on every dam thing we buy.......
Kinda somewhat maybe explains replacement crt's listed for more
than an entire set......

Yet another benefit of almost never buying anything new.
Old 07-02-2015, 09:59 PM
VideoKarma Member

I dont know why they are beating a dead rat on this at this day of age of flat screen TV's.Most of sets are at the curb or the recycle center except for us guys that still have them.

I'm surprise that the evironuts have a class action suit against the firms mention here for polluting our lands with lead and other chemicals in them.
Old 07-03-2015, 12:40 AM
The glass is -3dB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralradio View Post
I'm surprise that the evironuts have a class action suit against the firms mention here for polluting our lands with lead and other chemicals in them.
One reason could be that the lead contained in the CRT glass is highly unlikely to escape. The lead in the CRT has been vitrified. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radioa...#Vitrification Any Pb leaching out of a landfilled TV is most likely from the solder joints, and also from plastic wire insulation. (Pb compounds are used as pigments or plasticizers in wire insulation, now you know why extension cords have the whole "Contains substances known to the state of California to cause..." text on the packaging. http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/00020984.htm Also one more reason not to gnaw on Christmas lights, even if they're unplugged! )
Old 07-03-2015, 09:29 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
One reason could be that the lead contained in the CRT glass is highly unlikely to escape. The lead in the CRT has been vitrified. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radioa...#Vitrification Any Pb leaching out of a landfilled TV is most likely from the solder joints, and also from plastic wire insulation. (Pb compounds are used as pigments or plasticizers in wire insulation, now you know why extension cords have the whole "Contains substances known to the state of California to cause..." text on the packaging. http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/00020984.htm Also one more reason not to gnaw on Christmas lights, even if they're unplugged! )
Thanks for the info on that.I do remember getting the little note in the instructions on washing your hands after touching the wires.