Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Television Broadcast Gear

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-05-2013, 07:47 PM
VideoKarma Member

How-To Video for Converter Boxes

I know, we didn't really need another how to video for these converter boxes, but I was bored today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnSyTWsWkAM

What do you think? I tried to keep the production as I high as I could, while being as quick as I could too. I used my pro-camera for this (Panasonic AG-HMC40P).
Old 01-05-2013, 10:03 PM
<----Zenith C845

Brandon -

The video is as good as any I've seen so far for connecting a digital converter box to an older TV. The video isn't out of date yet; I'm sure there are still folks out there who do not want to have (or cannot afford) cable at this time, and may be intimidated or outright frightened at the prospect of connecting a box to their TV.

I read your remarks about cancelling your cable, and I can't blame you. The rates are quite high, depending on where you live; cable rates, even for bare-bones basic (broadcast channels only), are going up just like everything else. I don't know what I'm paying per month for my cable service through Time Warner Cable of Northeastern Ohio/Western Pennsylvania, as it is part of a three-service bundle (cable, home phone, Internet).

Do you have any movie channels (HBO, Cinemax, Showtime, etc.) in addition to your normal cable service? These can run your cable bill sky high in no time flat. I don't have any of those expensive services here, just expanded basic (what I call x-basic) cable. For movies and older TV shows not on cable, I have my own collection of DVDs (no Blu-rays yet, though I do have an LG BR player, bought new last year) and a subscription to Netflix, as well as a large collection of VHS video tapes, the latter also mostly old TV shows and movies. This arrangement is plenty good enough for me.

The OTA converter box you have will give you all of your area's network affiliates, independent stations (if any), PBS, and also digital subchannels. Two of my favorite DTV subchannels are Antenna TV and MeTV, retro-TV stations that play old shows from the '60s-'70s; they appear on my TV on channels 8.2 and 19.2, the subchannels of the FOX and CBS network affiliates in Cleveland. However, I can only get these channels on my cable; if I use an indoor UHF DTV antenna I only get channels 3, 5, 25, 43, 61 and a channel called CSCN (the cable channel of the Cleveland Sight Center). I do not receive 8 and 19 because they are transmitting on VHF DTV subchannels (8 and 10, IIRC) and I have found out that I would need a high-power VHF outdoor antenna to receive both the main signals and their subchannels.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:28 PM
VideoKarma Member

My cable bill is about $99 for standard cable TV and 10Mbps internet service. No HBO or anything extra. I'm going to keep the internet and it should lower it to about $69-ish. Only other option is U-Verse, but they have a data cap, and I am an avid Netflix user. That's the only movie "channel" I have, and I like it, when they and the internet are both working.

Some of my stations come in rough, and I think it has to do with all the houses around us (close to zero landlot).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGWcWusl-L4

That video shows ALL of the stations I can pick up.
Old 01-06-2013, 04:57 PM
VideoKarma Member

For grins, here is the FCC list of all TV stations within 30 km of your approximate location. You can drill down through the data to glean all sorts of useful information, including transmitter location, ownership, coverage maps etc. It may help you to identify the stations.

http://transition.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/tv...&slon2=&size=9

The "codes" used here are: DT=digital , DC=digital class A, DD=distributed digital, LD=low power digital, DX=Aux digital, CA=class A analog, TX=translator, LPTV analog and TS=Aux analog.

I see from the listing for WESH, which transmits on ch 11, that they have a construction permit (CP) for a UHF station (ch 18) in Orange city, which *may* help your situation. There is no indication on the FCC site that WRDQ is off the air, so a big ???? there.

jr

Last edited by jr_tech; 01-06-2013 at 05:00 PM.