Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-09-2021, 06:00 PM
Duck, you sucker!

Question about HOT voltages

Okay, I'm trying to fix an IBM Monochrome Monitor from '82. I have the Sams Photofacts service manual and have been following the diagnostic steps. I got only so far before I found something odd and no explanation for it in the SM.

I tested the power supply section and all readings looked good. So I moved to the horizontal output section and that's where I ran into a problem. The SM said to check for 24.7V at the emitter of the TR24. I got a reading of 27. Then it said to check the collector of TR24 for 14.9V. I got 27V again. Both the E and C have 27V. The SM only notes what to check if the voltage is missing, not if it is wrong or, in my case, the same. Now TR24 is what I always considered a HOT based on the package TO-3, but in this SM it is a transistor and the HOT is package TO-220.

Yes, my knowledge is limited, but I'm trying to learn. That's why I always defer to the expertise here. If you need more info, as I'm sure I've left out something needed, just let me know.

I wanted to attach the SM, but it is too large.

Denon 5803A, Pioneer DVL-700, Pioneer CT-W603RS, Toshiba HD-A3, D-Link DSM-520, Dish VIP-722, Polk 1.2TL, CSi5, LS/fx, RT-800 and PSW-650
Old 11-09-2021, 08:23 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinCanAlley View Post
Okay, I'm trying to fix an IBM Monochrome Monitor from '82. I have the Sams Photofacts service manual and have been following the diagnostic steps. I got only so far before I found something odd and no explanation for it in the SM.

I tested the power supply section and all readings looked good. So I moved to the horizontal output section and that's where I ran into a problem. The SM said to check for 24.7V at the emitter of the TR24. I got a reading of 27. Then it said to check the collector of TR24 for 14.9V. I got 27V again. Both the E and C have 27V. The SM only notes what to check if the voltage is missing, not if it is wrong or, in my case, the same. Now TR24 is what I always considered a HOT based on the package TO-3, but in this SM it is a transistor and the HOT is package TO-220.

Yes, my knowledge is limited, but I'm trying to learn. That's why I always defer to the expertise here. If you need more info, as I'm sure I've left out something needed, just let me know.

I wanted to attach the SM, but it is too large.
it would really help if you can link the Schematic on someplace like imgur or other such site, I have not seen one of those monitors since my very young teen days, and do not have quick access to docs, what I DID find, is CLOSE, but most likely not correct, there is NO way for the V at that point to be that high if the regulator is working correctly, the schematic I found shows 24.7 going into the regulator and 14.30 out, this goes to the HOT, but as mentioned, it's most likely CLOSE but not exactly what you have.

https://i.imgur.com/RLFCEKB.png
Old 11-09-2021, 09:20 PM
Duck, you sucker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamamaya42 View Post
it would really help if you can link the Schematic on someplace like imgur or other such site, I have not seen one of those monitors since my very young teen days, and do not have quick access to docs, what I DID find, is CLOSE, but most likely not correct, there is NO way for the V at that point to be that high if the regulator is working correctly, the schematic I found shows 24.7 going into the regulator and 14.30 out, this goes to the HOT, but as mentioned, it's most likely CLOSE but not exactly what you have.

That is the schematic I have. What I just discovered is this monitor needs a horizontal signal to produce a raster, so I'm assuming this means there is no way to do an accurate test without it being connected to a source for the HSynch?

Denon 5803A, Pioneer DVL-700, Pioneer CT-W603RS, Toshiba HD-A3, D-Link DSM-520, Dish VIP-722, Polk 1.2TL, CSi5, LS/fx, RT-800 and PSW-650
Old 11-09-2021, 09:29 PM
Duck, you sucker!

Quote:

Oh, I have another question. The SM says to look for 22V AC between the cathodes of D602 and D603. So do I just put the DMM in AC and connect on lead to the cathode of one and the other lead to the cathode of the other? When I do this, I get nothing. I must be doing something wrong. I figure if one of these were bad, there would be no voltage to the T24 REG. Am I right?

Also, should I break out the scope and start checking the points noted on the schematics? And is an isolation transformer a necessity?

Old 11-10-2021, 05:45 AM
VideoKarma Member

correct, there is NO horizontal oscillator, it's direct driven off the monochrome card, and since this is meant for use on a PC, it's already very well isolated. i would think.
Audiokarma
Old 11-10-2021, 06:04 AM
VideoKarma Member

do you HAVE a IBM pc with monochrome output to drive this thing?
Old 11-10-2021, 12:11 PM
Duck, you sucker!

Quote:
do you HAVE a IBM pc with monochrome output to drive this thing?
I have an IBM PC (5150), but it has a CGA that will damage the monitor as it has a much different H frequency. My MDA is dead, so I order a replacement. Until that arrives, I can't go beyond testing before the drive circuits.