Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique phonographs

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-20-2015, 04:04 PM
VideoKarma Member

1958 RCA SHF-4 Record Player Amp

Hello everyone, Happy 2015. Got a few questions about restoring the amp on my RCA SHF-4 player. I recapped it and tested/replaced all out of spec resistors. Tested tubes and fired it up (after recapping tuner as well). Plays great, sounds awesome. Noticed that after 20 minutes the power transformer was getting pretty toasty on the amp. Not boiling hot, but hot enough that I could not keep my hand on it after 15-20 seconds. I have a second SHF-4 that I restored some time ago and that one runs cool as a cucumber. So I pulled the amp and gave it a once over. Everything underneath checked out ok. So figured I'd test the 5Y3 and the two 6V6s again. 5Y3 tested ok, but swapped in a different one (also testing good) for the heck of it. Now the two 6V6s. I tested them on two different testers and both showed no shorts but buried the needle at the top of the "Good" zone. Does anyone know what this indicates? When the tube tester needle gets buried at top of good range? So I found two other 6V6s in my stash that had normal "Good" readings and put them in. Reinstalled the AMP and running MUCH cooler now.

Could the readings on the 6V6s indicate something that would have caused my power transformer to run hot???

Thx.