Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-26-2006, 08:26 AM
...enjoys spaghetti.

Urgent... Save this majestic, Majestic (Grundig)

I stopped at a nearby estate sale, and found this most unlikely TV set. I say unlikely, because I can't imagine overseas shipping costs for this monster of a set circa 1955-ish!

Even before it was open, I knew this was some kind of German set because of the "key holes" on the doors. Every piece of authenitic German furniture I see always has locking doors! When I went to Germany, people kept closing doors in the house... Not just bedroom doors at night, but kitchen doors in the middle of dinner!? What's with you Germans and locking doors!??

Anyways... back on topic.

Beautiful cabinet, actually has a early 80s look to it, so I expected a more modern set when I opened it up. Took me a second or two to realize the TV guts were gone. But, with a donor chassis this beast could live again because all the hardware/trim is intact. I am told the radio/record player still works.

Naturally, the woman running the sale tried to convince me how much better a modern POS Chinese cube would be, rather than a handwired German set that wasn't designed to take up landfill space in 5 years. I quickly cut her down to size, using a mournful expression and some mention of "ruined value". I think this will get her off the idea of $300! In fact, I think the set could be had for far less.

If somebody wanted it, I would be willing to get it out of the house and store it FOR A SHORT PERIOD of time. I'll throw in my phone number since I don't expect to be around the computer today.

586-801-4732

Even a newer Grundig set placed inside would be a good choice until the orginal B&W set could be located.

If not, enjoy the pics!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tv.jpg (135.8 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg cab.jpg (124.2 KB, 61 views)
Old 08-26-2006, 08:34 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Aww, man...What a set !! Too bad the teevee's histoire...That bad boy was made back in the day when the Germans still overengineered & overbuilt everything to a factor of about 10....
Old 08-26-2006, 08:36 AM
...enjoys spaghetti.

Radio pic:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Radio.jpg (80.1 KB, 54 views)
Old 08-26-2006, 11:46 AM
REAL TVs have TUBES!

I bet that this set was bought by a US serviceman stationed in Germany. They all brought home German HiFi sets, and a hand full of TVs too, I guess. My mother was in the Air Force in the late 50s, and when she came home when I was born in '67, she brought a Telefunken stereo among her belongings and a 1958 Opel Olympia. All was shipped free by the Air Force, I believe.

And about the Germans locking doors; not only do they lock them, they SLAM them . My grandmother was VERY German.

Charles
Old 08-26-2006, 12:39 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Hmmmmm.... Maybe the TV has been gone in this thing a loooooong time...It might not have worked here anyhow, since don't the Germans use PAL as their TV system? And I think the tuner frequencies are different...I may be all wet here, but I've heard horror stories of servicemen bringing back stuff from across the pond, & it not working...
Old 08-26-2006, 01:10 PM
console lover

If it's badged Majestic, I think that means it was domestic to begin with and the TV would've been built for our standard.
Old 08-27-2006, 06:00 AM
...enjoys spaghetti.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDRyan
If it's badged Majestic, I think that means it was domestic to begin with and the TV would've been built for our standard.
I believe this is correct.
Old 09-04-2006, 02:49 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDRyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmine
I believe this is correct.
...if it's badged "Rogers Majestic" what salute do we use? PAL, SECAM, NTSC>???
Old 09-04-2006, 03:01 AM
console lover

I know you're being facetious, but just so everyone's clear, we're talking Grundig-Majestic versus plain ol' Grundig.

If you require further details about his Majestic I guess you'd have to talk to Roger.
Old 09-05-2006, 12:47 AM
VideoKarma Member

Unless a color TV was in it, it wouldn't have been PAL. It might have been setup for CCIR 625/50hz operation though. There was another post on here that talked about how many of these sets would either just sync to 525/60 or needed only minor to moderate modifiction to work, so its not unreasonable I suppose to feel that it might have been imported and that it worked here at one time.

David
Audiokarma