Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-05-2017, 06:32 PM
TheUniversalDave1

1987 Zenith System 3

This is one of the TV's that I got for free from the estate sale on Friday. Unfortunately, when I was at the sale, I accidentaly broke the plastic clips that hold the control panel on, and now the control pad just flops down. I has a good picture, but the audio doesn't work! Maybe it's stuck on mute? Somehow, it remembered the channel presets after all these years. It was still programmed for channel 6, 10, 13, 21, 33, 42, and 68, which are all local channels. I obviously don't have the remote for it. This set was actually assembled in Springfield, MO. Which isn't really saying much because almost every component was made in Mexico.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0076.jpg (55.4 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0072.jpg (75.2 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0077.jpg (60.5 KB, 64 views)

Last edited by TUD1; 03-05-2017 at 06:38 PM.
Old 03-05-2017, 10:31 PM
VideoKarma Member

Sweet, I love this era Zenith. It can't stick on mute, powering it on and off or hitting the volume up button will turn mute off, so something is wrong.
Old 03-05-2017, 10:58 PM
TheUniversalDave1

That's what I figured. I found a remote that will work on this thing, and still no audio. So much for "reliable solid state devices that replace tubes."
Old 03-06-2017, 12:00 AM
Tinker

Dave,
What remote did you find for the Zenith? What is your model number and year of manufacture. On my System 3 set the inside cover lists the circuit board/ module numbers. My set has stereo and the second audio option. There is also a switch to disable the internal speakers I believe. We never had a remote for ours. Our front fold down control panel sometimes will not shut off the set, we have to unplug it to reset the circuit. It's been like that since I got it.
Ed

Last edited by EdKozk2; 03-06-2017 at 10:40 PM. Reason: grammer
Old 03-06-2017, 12:43 AM
The Resident Brony

Well, hardly the same thing, but when I garbage-picked a 90s Sony, the audio was dead. I asked the folks at riddledtv.com, and got a pinpoint repair tip: a tiny little pcb that handles SAP was apparently dead. Bypassed it with a couple capacitors and it was fine.

My point is, it's probably something minor. The solid state components are probably fine. Another thing I've found by working on my Sony - pcb solder joints don't last. Go over the boards with a magnifying glass and a fine-tooth comb, you might be suprised at the amount of resoldering you'll be doing.
Audiokarma
Old 03-06-2017, 04:42 AM
Followin' the Rules...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdKozk2 View Post
Dave,
What is your model number
Ed
+1 - if you want help, give us some meat. Sams doesn't list sets by years - please list by chassis or model!

I have a database of over 2800 Zenith repair tips for sets made after 1974, but with no model number or chassis number, I can't help.

Edit - for System 3's - always include the main module number - many tips are listed by the main module, ie 9-161, 9-181, 9-214, etc.

http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=265964 - a sticky in every forum.....
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!
Old 03-06-2017, 05:52 AM
Don't mess with Esther.

I had an '88 console with a 9-516 whose remote was trashed when I got it. I had - actually still have - a NOS gold-tone 1981 model remote with Space Phone that I used on it for a while. It was built far better than the original.

Yeah, final assembly of mine was done at the Springfield plant as well. It was in great shape and a low-hour set but I was not impressed with the picture.