Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-13-2017, 05:54 PM
VideoKarma Member

TV Advice

We have an RCA 1985 ColorTrax 2000 Console TV. It was given to me FREE by a Gentleman who repairs TVs. I had it worked on a couple of months ago for a minor issue.

We have noticed as of late when we first power the TV Set on that we get a picture that starts out Dark then brightens up. Then the TV goes from a Brownish Green to a Real Dark Bright Green on the Picture Tube. Then the Picture displays 100% Normal. The colors after the initial warm up look really good yet. No Color Bleeds, or green tint etc in the picture. Also, still has a nice Bright Picture.

This has the Chasis 131A in it. The Model# is GLR2538P. CRT is the A63ABP12X.
Old 02-13-2017, 07:05 PM
Administrator

The tube is getting tired and the guns don't track evenly when it's cold, Pretty common issue actually.

I have a couple 13" Color Traks from the same era and they do the same thing.
Old 02-13-2017, 07:16 PM
TheUniversalDave1

I had a hard time rejuvenating an 80's inline gun CRT with my B&K 470. It was an '84 Colortrak 25".
Old 02-13-2017, 08:44 PM
sampson159

this crt wont take a jolt.its getting a little tired.try to set it up again and see how long you can get out of it.
Old 03-26-2017, 12:21 PM
VideoKarma Member

RCA Console 1985

The RCA Console TV I have is a 1985 Color Trax 2000. It has the Chasis CTC131 A. The Model of this particular set is GLR2538P.

I was wondering if anyone would have a Schematic on this Chasis to locate the adjustment for the Horizontal and Vertical? It needs adjusting.

Thanks.
Audiokarma
Old 03-28-2017, 08:17 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Console User View Post
The RCA Console TV I have is a 1985 Color Trax 2000. It has the Chasis CTC131 A. The Model of this particular set is GLR2538P.

I was wondering if anyone would have a Schematic on this Chasis to locate the adjustment for the Horizontal and Vertical? It needs adjusting.

Thanks.
There are no hold controls. V. size usually along back edge. Probably
no width control. Probably has a few 'lytics just starting to open up.
Width may also be pin problem either diode or regular cap shorted
but sides usually will be bowed.
Other problem is a classic case of CRT slow warming up.

73 Zeno
LFOD!
Old 03-28-2017, 08:56 AM
Followin' the Rules...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Console User View Post

Thanks.
For the CTC131 chassis, not much usually went bad beyond the obvious.

As to the vertical, C501 and C510 both were commonly replaced caps in the vertical - a faulty C501 causes shrinkage from the top, and a faulty C510 would cause retrace lines at the top of the pix due to vertical foldover. We swapped them out as a callback preventer.

U700 (the Chroma/Luminance/Video chip) would also cause changing colors as the set warmed up - most noticeably the red. RCA issued a Goldenrod aimed at chasing down other parts that could cause problems, to avoid changing out a good U700. In one test, they had you monitor pin 27 of U700 until the problem appeared - most often it would change to a lower than 5V value if U700 was bad, else some other part was bad. Among the culprits:

R5076 on the CRT board - intermittent opens, cause loss of red in pix.
R5074 on the CRT board - changing green levels, likely intermittent.

Put a scope on all the supplies - the 16.5 volt source filter cap would open up, and cause all sorts of troubles - hum, wavy pix, lines in the picture (also could be the tuner/MST...) and no color.

The CTC131 and 132 were great chassis, just had to weed out a few components...and yes, the CRT is probably tired. Only recourse there is a replacement.
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!