Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Rectangular Screen Tube Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-01-2017, 05:02 PM
Tube bug got me 05/2010

Is this a Merit HVO-6? If not, what is it?

Was ordering a few things from Playthings of the past and saw he had an HVO-6 listed. Figured I'd pick it up to meet the minimum order requirements, since I am a little uncertain about the flyback in my Hallicrafters, and spares are always nice.

The SAMS only has HVO-6 listed as a spare, nothing else.

Got it today and opened it to find the attached... doesn't look right to me. The box certainly says HVO-6 on it, but the writing on the transformer itself is too smudged to make out (Not on the side facing the camera, silly me.. I can make out the "HVO" but not the number that follows)

It's only got three terminals and a filament winding... so I can't use it either way, but I did some googling and found this thread:
http://www.videokarma.org/showthread...=248133&page=7

and mine looks nothing like Bob's. So if what I have is not a 6... what is it?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Flyback.jpg (67.0 KB, 192 views)
Old 06-01-2017, 06:31 PM
Tinker

It looks more like merit HVO-8 air core . Something like the RCA 74951 for direct drive circuits. Stancor made one with the number A-8131.

Last edited by EdKozk2; 06-01-2017 at 06:47 PM.
Old 06-01-2017, 09:32 PM
Tube bug got me 05/2010

Looking closely, I think you're right. the "6" on the label is faded and could very likely be an 8.
Old 06-02-2017, 05:04 PM
Workin' Late Again

Yep that is a HVO-8 which is equivalent to a Fly 2. A HVO-6 is equivalent to an Fly 3 and were originally a GE replacement. I believe I have a Fly 3 or HVO-6 here if you want to swap me for your HVO-8.
Old 06-02-2017, 06:07 PM
Tube bug got me 05/2010

Sounds good, I was contemplating reaching out to Gary at POTP to see if he'd take a return since it was mislabeled and I (mostly) needed to fill out my order for a part I can't get the set running without (focus control).

I'm planning to work on the set this weekend, if all goes well, in a day or two I might actually know whether I need a replacement flyback or not. If I do, swapping is just as good for me, or if I don't need to swap, I'd do it for the price I paid plus postage, should you still be interested. I'll be in touch.

(Interestingly, the Thor column in the Sams does not list FLY-3 as a replacement option, only the HVO-6. Perhaps the 3 wasn't on the market when the SAMS was published?)
Audiokarma
Old 06-03-2017, 10:49 AM
Workin' Late Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintagePC View Post

(Interestingly, the Thor column in the Sams does not list FLY-3 as a replacement option, only the HVO-6. Perhaps the 3 wasn't on the market when the SAMS was published?)
Also interesting is that your sets OEM part number(55C172/B) is listed in my Thordarson catalog as requiring a FLY 12 as replacement.
I tend to believe Thordarson literature over Sams, but it's possible they both will work in the circuit. Often times it comes down to physical differences in the way they mount.
Old 06-03-2017, 10:55 AM
Tube bug got me 05/2010

Well, the manufacturer ought to know what works No reason there can't be multiple subs.

For flybacks it also just depends on what taps are available, so long as you have the right combinations of windings for your design any would work.
Old 06-03-2017, 11:03 AM
Workin' Late Again

Maybe someone can cross that RAM number that's currently in your set. It sure looks to be in good condition.
Old 06-03-2017, 12:28 PM
Tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Kuehn View Post
Maybe someone can cross that RAM number that's currently in your set. It sure looks to be in good condition.
Maybe this will help. Bob Anderson posted this on ARF at one time.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7232/7...72eda594_k.jpg
Old 06-03-2017, 12:44 PM
Tube bug got me 05/2010

Yep, definitely looks good. Reason I'm a little hesitant about it is the primary measures about 4 times what the schematic/parts ref states it should.... but I guess if it makes the correct voltage it's not an issue.
Audiokarma
Old 06-03-2017, 12:55 PM
Tinker

The step-up voltage ratio is what your after. The resistance and wire size in the windings determine the current and resonant frequency.
Old 06-09-2017, 10:49 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Kuehn View Post
Also interesting is that your sets OEM part number(55C172/B) is listed in my Thordarson catalog as requiring a FLY 12 as replacement.
I tend to believe Thordarson literature over Sams, but it's possible they both will work in the circuit. Often times it comes down to physical differences in the way they mount.
Speaking of problems with part numbers.
I have a new old stock RCA flyback That they swear was used in a 10" table set with a single 1B3 rectifier. Hlowever, this flyback has two filament windings, and, two hv rectifier connections. Also, the single flyback is shown to put out maximum Ten kv.
Ne flyback gives a total of 13-15 kv.
Bill Cahill
Old 06-12-2017, 08:26 PM
Workin' Late Again

Bill,

The double windings are a dead give-away that it was really intended for a larger CRT set. Otherwise the frame and core look identical. We recently discovered this while looking up fly numbers for another member, but I can't find the other post right now.
Old 06-13-2017, 02:54 AM
Super Moderator

Smile

Well, thank you very much.. If you find it, I surely would be interested.
Bill Cahill
Old 10-27-2018, 02:29 PM
Workin' Late Again

Bill,

In case you're still wondering... I've found some more information about the two earliest RCA flys that share the same frame/core. RCA numbers 211T1, 211T3 look like the standard FLY 1 we're most familiar with for sets with 10BP4, 12LP4. RCA part #211T5 appears to use the same core and frame but was intended for early sets using a 16AP4. I believe the dual rectifier version to be the equivalent to a Thordarson Fly 4. Has anyone a Fly 4 in their possession that can verify? They would appear to be a very rare item. I believe the below picture is a dual rectifier version which would be for the larger CRT. Bill, does that flyback you were referring to earlier have any identification number on the frame or box?

Last edited by Kevin Kuehn; 10-27-2018 at 02:50 PM.
Audiokarma