Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Television Broadcast Gear

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-22-2015, 05:50 PM
Alchemizes cash to tubes

Trying to recreate analog broadcasting.

I see a lot about agile modulators, and I understand that you can broadcast one source over a local area for wireless pickup. It sounds like each modulator can only send one source on one channel, though, and changing the source has to be done on whatever is sending it to the modulator.. I'd like to broadcast multiple channels so I can tune from my television itself, rather than having to select the pickup from the modulator source. Is there a way to pickup, modulate, and broadcast a wide selection of channels? Possibly into the uhf range?
Old 10-22-2015, 05:55 PM
VideoKarma Member

you would need a modulator for each source, each on a different channel- and you may need to avoid channels that are in use in your area, and possibly adjacent channels to avoid interference.
Old 10-22-2015, 06:01 PM
Alchemizes cash to tubes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olorin67 View Post
you would need a modulator for each source, each on a different channel- and you may need to avoid channels that are in use in your area, and possibly adjacent channels to avoid interference.
Yikes, sounds expensive and complicated. What's the best way to pick up over the air sources?
Old 10-22-2015, 06:14 PM
M is for Memory

There are weak agile modulators capable of 4 channels simultaneously....That is the most I've heard of one box being capable of. Most areas don't have many VHF channels, but the UHF channels are usually congested from 13 up to 55 (you need a DTV box, like Zenith models, that shows the REAL carrier channel of the station to check your area). TVs prior to '64 only had UHF if that optional feature was ordered so if you buy earlier sets UHF will not be convenient.

Honestly how many channels do you regularly watch? I can maybe come up with 4-5 max. I prefer to have multiple modulators so my sets can run 2-4 shows at once, but my feed to them is a set of VCRs/DVRs/DVD-Rs that tune my cable feed.....That way I can use their remotes for tuning.

If you have a local cable provider that still offers analog cable (such as TWC's Milwaukee branch) that may be a solution (though the days of that are numbered). Cable channels 2-13 correspond directly with VHF channels, and SOME upper cable channels are in the UHF band......Most of the cable stations on such channels here are ones I have no interest in so I use modern stuff to convert what I do watch to a better channel.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 10-22-2015, 06:18 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubis7 View Post
Yikes, sounds expensive and complicated. What's the best way to pick up over the air sources?
Aside from a small handful of low power analog stations in the USA (if you can get ONE CLEARLY consider yourself lucky) there is nothing on air left for analog TV sets to tune.....Blame the government for the stupid DTV transition.

If you want a cheap easy source get a thrift shop VCR....You will have to wire it to your set's antenna terminals though.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Audiokarma
Old 10-22-2015, 06:28 PM
Alchemizes cash to tubes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
TVs prior to '64 only had UHF if that optional feature was ordered so if you buy earlier sets UHF will not be convenient.
My set has a UHF tuner, so I figured it'd be nice to try and interface with it.

Quote:
but my feed to them is a set of VCRs/DVRs/DVD-Rs that tune my cable feed.....That way I can use their remotes for tuning.
That's what I'm trying to avoid. Right now, I've got a DTV box plugged into my set, and change channels with a remote. I'd like to be able to broadcast the DTV signal in analog so I can pick it up without attaching a box to my set, and broadcast each channel I want on a different frequency so I can select them via the tuner on my set.

Quote:
there is nothing on air left for analog TV sets to tune
My gripe, exactly. I'm wanting to use the over the air signals, and I realize I'll have to use a DTV box to convert them, but is there a specific recommendation for a type of DTV box, or will any standard box be as good as any other?
Old 10-22-2015, 06:31 PM
Zenith Walton My 1st TV

I think a ChannelPlus 5445 Four-Channel Video Modulator may do what you want.
Old 10-22-2015, 06:41 PM
Alchemizes cash to tubes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed in Tx View Post
I think a ChannelPlus 5445 Four-Channel Video Modulator may do what you want.
Will it pick up dtv broadcasts, or will I still need 4 separate converter boxes?

Also it looks like the 5445 only broadcasts one at a time. I'd like to broadcast all channels simultaneously.
Old 10-22-2015, 06:54 PM
Zenith Walton My 1st TV

Quote:
Will it pick up dtv broadcasts, or will I still need 4 separate converter boxes?

Also it looks like the 5445 only broadcasts one at a time. I'd like to broadcast all channels simultaneously.
You supply the sources...four DTV converters if you want to have 4 broadcast channels converted to analog NTSC and available by tuning your TVs. Not MTS stereo if that matters to you.

From a product description on Amazon..
"The Model 5445 Four-Channel Video Modulator converts four video and stereo audio inputs to four programmable TV channels (stereo audio is converted to monaural audio)"
Old 10-22-2015, 07:07 PM
Alchemizes cash to tubes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed in Tx View Post
Not MTS stereo if that matters to you.
HA. HAHA.

I'd have to find a users manual on that modulator. The controls look like it doesn't broadcast every channel simultaneously.
Old 10-22-2015, 07:12 PM
Zenith Walton My 1st TV

Quote:
HA. HAHA.

I'd have to find a users manual on that modulator. The controls look like it doesn't broadcast every channel simultaneously.
http://manuals.solidsignal.com/5445.pdf
Old 10-22-2015, 07:40 PM
Alchemizes cash to tubes

OK, yeah, that looks like it can save 4 channel settings, but only broadcasts one at a time. Also it doesn't broadcast in the VHF range.
Old 10-22-2015, 07:55 PM
Zenith Walton My 1st TV

Quote:
... Is there a way to pickup, modulate, and broadcast a wide selection of channels? Possibly into the uhf range?
Oh I thought from your first post that was OK. VHF much more difficult to do without expensive filtering etc. Good luck
Old 10-22-2015, 07:58 PM
Alchemizes cash to tubes

I remember reading that Blonder Tongues can do VHF. That's an expensive prospect, though.
Old 10-22-2015, 08:00 PM
Zenith Walton My 1st TV

Quote:
OK, yeah, that looks like it can save 4 channel settings, but only broadcasts one at a time. Also it doesn't broadcast in the VHF range.
Look at the examples in the instructions. They show multiple TVs connected RF able to tune one of 4 channels, VCR, camera, DVD, sat receiver, and you can tune any TV to any channel.
Audiokarma