Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Introductions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-01-2020, 03:08 PM
VideoKarma Member

Sharp Lyntron 9" Color TV 9H102 AC/DC TV Clicks ON But Tube Not ON

Hello Everyone,

I'm brand new to this forum.

I'm the original owner of this Sharp Lyntron 9" Color TV 9H102 AC/DC TV. I have the original user guide, DC plug for running the TV from a car battery 12 V.

I purchased this unit in about 1984. It ran great for many years with a nice picture and then the tube and sound wouldn't come on and stopped. I kept it all these years because I didn't want to get rid of it, thinking I might be able to get it working again some day.

Then I found out about this forum and thought I should give it a try.

Please let me know if you can help me get it running. I have a very basic knowledge of electricity. I can use a multi-meter and can check voltages. I can also test diodes and transistors and do basic things like continuity checks.

The symptoms are:

The on/off switch clicks on and off with a distinct click, but the TV tube won't come on (light up) (it appears to stay dark, no snow and no sound through the speaker you typically get when you plug in a CRT TV without an antenna hooked up).

Any idea where I can find the service manual for this TV in case someone asks me to check some wiring? I'm wondering if the schematic diagram is inside on the case. Maybe I should carefully take case off to look, not touching the tube, though...

Last edited by Jc339; 06-03-2020 at 05:01 PM. Reason: to clarify
Old 06-01-2020, 03:39 PM
M is for Memory

Sam's would be the first place to check for a manual but I don't get any hits for that model... https://www.samswebsite.com/en/photo...earch&s=Search

This is 10-20 years newer than what I typically work on so I'll let others chime in on what could be wrong.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 06-01-2020, 06:35 PM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks. Did I post this in the correct section? New to this forum...Do you work on real old tv's? This is around 1984 by the label on the back. See photo.
Old 06-02-2020, 12:21 PM
M is for Memory

Probably the best place to put this is solid state CRT sets: http://videokarma.org/forumdisplay.php?f=184

I work almost exclusively on vacuum tube and tube/SS hybrid signal chain TVs from 1975 and older (I just finished somebody elses aborted restoration on a 1954 RCA CT100, RCAs first color TV)....I don't work on enough SS stuff that new to be of assistance.

Other members work on and like sets of the 80s and newer, but I consider them common disposable foreign made junk not worthy of my space or repair effort...To each their own. If you like it that's all that should matter to you.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 06-02-2020, 07:50 PM
VideoKarma Member

Those are beautiful older sets. Glad you can rehab them...Thanks for your link
Audiokarma