Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Things with Motors

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-14-2015, 01:00 PM
Not sure how I got here.

Better off putting half in a vise, and twisting the other half.....
If you cut away a portion of the case, and the spacing is wrong
when you put it back, then you need another one.....
As long as it's not keyed as to position, vise it and twist it..

Old 04-14-2015, 02:46 PM
M is for Memory

If you mean the motor shaft and body I've tried that, and the shaft is REALLY stuck.

If you mean to open the case I don't think that will work.....The motor case is one solid piece of metal from the shaft exit down to the plastic outlet at the bottom. It crimps on to the plastic electric connector like an old can type electrolytic only the metal is too thick to bend (So I cut the crimp to try and open it).

I'm starting to think this thing was not made to be rebuilt, and given how ceased it is and the amount of corrosion on top and in the terminals at the bottom logically speaking it is probably full of corrosion and may be beyond repair even IF I can get in without ruining it.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 04-14-2015, 03:29 PM
Not sure how I got here.

Well, it would probably be smartest to just replace it..... Ours was $117. each to
replace, so I decided to repair.... Junk Yard items I'm sure are less.... I know I did
get mine apart, it was for a '79 Mercury Colony Park Wagon, I opened it at the
bottom where the connections are, like yours.... It slid out the electrical end
of the motor, brushes, left in the magnets, along with the center came the
worm gear that moves the lever.... I think the motor turned maybe 20 revolutions
max to move the lever up and down.... Good force, it would make a great
nut cracker..... For the luxury minded squirrel, A Must have ! !

I had the time to do it, and it worked well after, but it may not be practical, you may
just be able to get a newer one that works....

There are door lock actuators on ebay from $30. on up, all depends on your
appetite for how you wanna fix it.... For our car, Dad was not interested in fixing
our locks for $100. So I took it off, rebuilt it and eventually put it back.... You can
open, close, and lock unlock the door without these things, so take it out and work
on it till you fix it....

You know what it is..... It's just neat to take it apart learn how it works and fix it
yerself.... It's just fun....

Oops- yah you gotta hold it good, put the body in a vise, de-crimp the end,
and you gotta work it out at the plug end..... I may have pushed the
screw arm into the unit I don't remember that well..... It did look like
yours, I remember the little metal ears that were held with rubber thing
so it was not quite that loud when it went off....

Look at this thing....
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Power-Door-L...33b571&vxp=mtr

Last edited by Username1; 04-14-2015 at 03:49 PM.
Old 04-14-2015, 08:45 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Username1 View Post
There are door lock actuators on ebay from $30. on up, all depends on your
appetite for how you wanna fix it.... You can open, close, and lock unlock the door without these things, so take it out and work
on it till you fix it....

You know what it is..... It's just neat to take it apart learn how it works and fix it yerself.... It's just fun....

Oops- yah you gotta hold it good, put the body in a vise, de-crimp the end,
and you gotta work it out at the plug end..... I may have pushed the
screw arm into the unit I don't remember that well..... It did look like
yours, I remember the little metal ears that were held with rubber thing
so it was not quite that loud when it went off....

Look at this thing....
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Power-Door-L...33b571&vxp=mtr

Squirrel boy, I owe you a beer or a bag of cashews!...I'm not sure which...

That is less than half the price of an original (on the 'bay), and appears to be the same exact thing as the only new replacement listed as compatible (see link below) yet only about 1/10 the price. http://www.ebay.com/itm/1977-79-Linc...b49c14&vxp=mtr

I can afford and justify 14$ on a new motor.

I did get the old one open....And it looks like the titanic on the inside. The rotor has rusted and expanded/melded with the stator magnet to the point that freeing the rotor would involve destroying the motor around it (which my attempts to free it ended up doing ).

I know it will work without the motor (otherwise how have I been getting in and out all this time) so for the time being the door is back together minus the motor.

Old 04-15-2015, 07:46 AM
Not sure how I got here.

Cashews are poison to us squirrels as they are actually beans.....
I'll take an Almond !

Good to hear you got it open..... Sorry it's trash.....
They are pretty neat inside.....

What I meant, was in some cases the lock actuator makes up a link in the rods
and levers to work the lock manually.... But in the older cars it can be
removed with no troubles..... I see you know that

I worked on our car's door locks more than 20 years ago, less time along the
rust time line..... I guess yours had lots of time to rust up really good.....

Last edited by Username1; 04-15-2015 at 07:58 AM.
Audiokarma
Old 04-20-2015, 08:49 PM
M is for Memory

I got the new lock motor in. Surprisingly the middle length shaft in the package best matched the original. One annoyance is that the retainer pin for whatever shaft is selected did not want to go into the hole....I tried pushing/compressing it in with pliers and have a blood blister to show for that. I also tried hammering it with no luck asside from further damaging the retainer pin. My solution was to remove the pin slide a short thinner nail through the collar and shaft (where the pin was supposed to go), cut the sharp end off and bend the nail so that it can not fall out (a poor man's cotter pin if you will).

The cracked section on the arm rest I glued last time came apart so I'm re-gluing it, and adding reinforcement. If it fails again I may try to get another....There is a yard out in Rockford (not close, but not too far) that supposedly has a 78 Mark. I plan on going there once I've graduated (and have time to do so), and grabbing some odds and ends I need and anything else that may be of use within reason. If it has the driver side door rest in better shape I may grab it, and if it is the wrong color just paint it black.

Old 04-25-2015, 05:12 PM
VideoKarma Member

Was at the Carlisle Spring car car show yesterday. It was this week/weekend. did you go like I instructed? noooooooo

why not?

I didnt cover the entire grounds and in my 8 hours there saw *2* of your cars. A 1979 with the four hunnert, and a 77 with the 460. Both in show quality shape. Tons and tons of parts to boot.

You shoulda been there

Pioneer Silver-face Collector
Old 04-25-2015, 07:08 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by quaddriver View Post
Was at the Carlisle Spring car car show yesterday. It was this week/weekend. did you go like I instructed? noooooooo

why not?

I didnt cover the entire grounds and in my 8 hours there saw *2* of your cars. A 1979 with the four hunnert, and a 77 with the 460. Both in show quality shape. Tons and tons of parts to boot.

You shoulda been there
I could not have made it if I wanted to (and I would have liked to go there). I'm in what is going to be (one way or another) the last academic quarter of my college education, and I need all the study time I can get to graduate. I'm out of funds and credit so it is pretty much graduate now or drop out....My course work load is pretty much the usual fare of my school: work us nearly to the point where students actually start act on the desire to beat up the faculty for all the crap they pile on/pull on us.

I can't even make the ETF meet next week in Ohio (which is a lot closer to me), and it about KILLS me to miss that one (and this is the second year in a row of missing that)...

I'm about 4 weeks out from my diploma. Once I have it (and am free from the slave labor studying) I plan to widen the geographic region of radio meets I attend as much as I can (beyond anything it has ever been), and start attending car shows.

There is a good size local one that was held weekly at the Wisegerbers Gaust house (spelling may be wrong) last summer that I'm going to show up at if continued this year. There is one at the Kiltie a historic drive in near by that I want to go to too.....Though my Mark has enough rust weep from the vinyl half roof and minor imperfections that it is not quite show quality....I'm gradually working towards it though.

Old 04-25-2015, 08:52 PM
Not sure how I got here.

Hey EM- sounds like you need a pick me up !
Thought you would like (or not) reading the well tuned "car guy" Paul Niedermeyer's
review of the mighty Mark's which spawned the '78 that leaks all over yer parents
driveway.... I was going through some of my bookmarks - found a few links that
lead me back to TTAC - I use to read it all the time, then after re-reading a few
choice reviews of '80's GM cars, I thought, hey look up the '78 Mark 5....
Not that he did one for your car exclusively, but you can see it in the type....
Enjoy.....

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...ental-mark-iv/

PS- And yes I got a sense of humor, and I can take it too.....
Yes he also pissed on my first car too.....

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/200...ustang-mach-1/

Oh hell - this is the one that started it, ya might as well read this one too....
Maybe read it first.... It's really good....

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...iest-sin-ever/

Last edited by Username1; 04-25-2015 at 09:04 PM.
Old 04-26-2015, 06:53 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
I could not have made it if I wanted to (and I would have liked to go there). I'm in what is going to be (one way or another) the last academic quarter of my college education, and I need all the study time I can get to graduate. I'm out of funds and credit so it is pretty much graduate now or drop out....My course work load is pretty much the usual fare of my school: work us nearly to the point where students actually start act on the desire to beat up the faculty for all the crap they pile on/pull on us.

I can't even make the ETF meet next week in Ohio (which is a lot closer to me), and it about KILLS me to miss that one (and this is the second year in a row of missing that)...

I'm about 4 weeks out from my diploma. Once I have it (and am free from the slave labor studying) I plan to widen the geographic region of radio meets I attend as much as I can (beyond anything it has ever been), and start attending car shows.

There is a good size local one that was held weekly at the Wisegerbers Gaust house (spelling may be wrong) last summer that I'm going to show up at if continued this year. There is one at the Kiltie a historic drive in near by that I want to go to too.....Though my Mark has enough rust weep from the vinyl half roof and minor imperfections that it is not quite show quality....I'm gradually working towards it though.
Near as I can remember it, the last term is supposed to be a grease job, except for the final project and any thesis...(my last project was a Prolog-based translator to turn the engineering dept fortran programs into pascal as well as the emacs user manual)

anyways, once you have the diploma, a NEW work starts - or should. One where you are on station by 8am in some sort of monkey suit and tie and have to keep quiet a lot. Sometimes you get an 'office space' type job, others are like 'head office' and in this day and age like 'secret of my success'.

But its important to take time to smell the roses. The multitude of car shows near me are my roses (it used to be also weekly ATV trips but Im 50 - its often a painful task to keep up with my teenager.)

Of note, ever see 'white litghning' with burt reynolds? this show auctioned off his bandit TA and at the show I swear was his lightning ford - giant 4 door sedan with a killer 429, 4spd and cop tires....

Audiokarma
Old 04-26-2015, 02:02 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by quaddriver View Post
Near as I can remember it, the last term is supposed to be a grease job, except for the final project and any thesis...(my last project was a Prolog-based translator to turn the engineering dept fortran programs into pascal as well as the emacs user manual)

anyways, once you have the diploma, a NEW work starts - or should. One where you are on station by 8am in some sort of monkey suit and tie and have to keep quiet a lot. Sometimes you get an 'office space' type job, others are like 'head office' and in this day and age like 'secret of my success'.

But its important to take time to smell the roses. The multitude of car shows near me are my roses (it used to be also weekly ATV trips but Im 50 - its often a painful task to keep up with my teenager.)

Of note, ever see 'white litghning' with burt reynolds? this show auctioned off his bandit TA and at the show I swear was his lightning ford - giant 4 door sedan with a killer 429, 4spd and cop tires....
It would be a easy quarter if I did not have 3 lab courses (which last quarter I (re?)discovered was unsustainable), one of my teachers was not a complete idiot who is sometimes more being taught by the class than teaching it, and I did not have 2 days of 8AM class (I've never been a morning person). Last year I took the senior design course, and that thing drove me to the edge of insanity (I caught myself nearly peeing in bathroom trash cans, jumping down flights of stairs, and muttering "I want to go home" while at home, all for no reason) since we bit off more than we could chew, and I had a number of courses that were hideously complex and challenging. This my fifth year and thanks to a summer internship my burnout from last year never completely dissipated. My mind ain't being bent as bad as last year, but the excess busy work is about the last thing I need.
My roses have been the local radio meets, but that has been on the decline. It used to be I hit all the Local and Chicago meets, but then college started and it all gradually got to the point that this year I have not made a meet since fall and the local ones are maybe 5-15 minutes away from school...It would help if they did not hold them from about 6:45-8:30AM (it goes on longer, but way too many folks leave early) on Sundays when I stay up late for my only weekly TV viewing on Saturday (A few times I almost drove myself, then choose sleep instead).

I've never seen "White Lightning" (I may try to now), but I considered a Ford sedan or two from that era when I was looking for a car. I liked the looks, and half decent ones could had for about 1K$...Which would have left me plenty of money to play with, and I would not feel as bad about being in an accident in something so cheap....There are enough bad/suicidal drivers out here that defensive driving is a must, especially on the highway.

Old 07-05-2015, 08:54 PM
VideoKarma Member

At the demo derby on the 3rd 2 lincolns were entered. an older 75ish and a 79 with a 400. Both didnt last and ended up in the consy round where they didnt last. The 75 should have won everything, but the guy lost before he showed up - he didnt weld the spiders and used the worst cheapest used snow tires he could find on the rear. Once they flattened, the car would not move. It outweighed everything there by 1000lbs and should have cleaned up....

Old 07-09-2015, 03:24 AM
M is for Memory

Elation and frustration

I have not had much time for my car or the forums lately due to unpleasant circumstances lately which I'll try to go into at the end.

I'll start with the good stuff. When I bought it there was a significant amount of rust below the vinyl roof on the passenger side, and it had been there long enough to stain the paint orange beyond any normal wash's ability to clean.
The paint had become dull and spotty, and an aborted automatic wash, at a gas station who's car wash has a bad reputation, left the paint streaky. I was about to declare the paint dead, but decided to try waxing it as a last ditch effort. I bought a can of Turtle wax and also a can of their pre-wax polishing compound....That polishing compound is AMAZING! It actually removed the rust stains from the paint.

Left is a before showing the stains, right is the polished cleaned surface. I cannot begin to express how happy I was when those horribly obvious rust stains on the paint scrubbed off. And after the wax it looked about as shiny as I'd imagine it did when new. I plan to re-polish some bad areas (tenacious bird crap and bug remains) I did before I give it another wax.

Now for the bad....Technically yesterday (as I write this) The starter motor shorted. I went to a local weekly car show, ran some errands, and took it to a local drive in that I've mentioned before with no problem, but once I finished eating and tried to start it, as soon as the key went to crank position the whole electrical system went dead and did not come back when the key was released. I popped the hood and jiggled the battery cables and it came back so I cranked it again with the hood open and saw sparks. After all trying once or twice more I left the ignition on and used a jumper cable to bridge from the battery to the motor side of the starter relay and was able to get it to crank once, but it needed the gas pressed to start, and I was not in reach of the throttle so that last chance was wasted. Subsequent attempts with help failed and the starter barely wanted to turn and heated the heck out of the stout jumper cable...I had it towed home and before the tow we tried a booster battery and the tow driver reached the same conclusion I did. Tomorrow I'm going to have to do some research into where I can get a motor and see if feasible it will be to do it my self...

I also have been too busy to get to the driver side door power lock failing again (if that new motor failed I'll have to wonder), and the 8-track scraping and running slow...Those have been bugging me for about a month now.

As for me being occupied, well....The company my dad works for which manages nursing homes has been nearly ran out of business by Obamacare. And a Saudi company has purchased it to rip it's real estate resources off and spin the company's objective off into another likely-to-fail orphan business to whom the Saudis will then rent the real estate resources they ripped off back to. This new enterprise is downsizing from what it was, and before the year is out my Dad will no longer be employed by them. His job search locally in the past few months has not been encouraging, and if this continues he will have to look for positions that will require relocation....I've been planing to keep living with my folks until I've saved the money to buy my own home with no or little credit. My basement workshop became a nightmare over the last school year, and I've been trying to dump excess junk, complete MANY half done projects, get it clean enough that I can find screws I drop on the floor, etc. I'm doing great things with my electronics hobby, but am under too much pressure to enjoy it. This has been eating my time along with the folks making me help them remodel the house in preparation for selling it....A situation I've been in before and hate...I'd sooner burn it down for insurance than break my back to see it nice for a short time and have to leave it....My life is becoming a continuous case of get used to where I'm living, waste my life at metaphorical gun point to make my home nice so I can move away against my will (I need a shoots self in head emotacon). To make matters worse I kinda need to look for a job so I can afford to do some things I want to do to my car, save money, build my collection, pay student loans, etc, but I can't since I'd likely have to quit and move in a few months. This whole mess has left me in a chronically angry depressed emotional/psychological state.
....I should probably shut up now I'm half asleep and pissed off which is a bad combo.

Last edited by Electronic M; 07-09-2015 at 03:40 AM.
Old 07-09-2015, 10:19 AM
VideoKarma Member

That same polishing compound also works well on dull Bakelite radio cabinets.
Old 07-09-2015, 05:17 PM
Not sure how I got here.

Polishing compound is more abrasive than wax, and there are several different
types, you can find at automotive paint supply stores.... Wax is very lite abrasive.

Sorry about your life, but get use to working. Your dad's job is like one of my wife's and
mine's friend, close to retirement she may end up retiring sooner.... who knows...
She is a medical biller or some kind, works for a Catholic based hospital I think.

It's not Obamacare's fault, health insurance and the health care industry is too
dam expensive for most people, you will find that out soon enough.....
Healthcare needs to be made affordable or it needs to close..... $10. Aspirin anyone...?

This is a time for you to prioritize what you need to do to secure your future. I have
not worked on a tv in 20 years as I worked my landscaping job after EET degree.
I graduated during the Regan Recession, Oil Slumped really bad, Economy SUCKED,
I stayed with my summer job because it was doing well.... My contributions to the
company made it doubly profitable, and I was well rewarded, In short use your
skills in any way you may need to....

You - graduating in the next few years.... You will be graduating during the Next
Republican Recession, and it will be bigger than the last. If you have not kept up
with current events, this "recovery" has not lead to better pay, or lots of jobs...
Be Very Careful how much Debt you accumulate NOW. My Mechanical engineering
cousin now about 60 has done most of his work designing pressure vessels, and
industrial production equipment related to pharmaceutical, and chemical processes,
in the last 20 years in India, China, and the Eastern BRIC countries. Today the
industry sucks, not much is designed here, his company now repairs existing equipment.

Many of the people I went to school with for engineering are now readjusted into the
service industry.

The world is a growing place, and growth takes place where it is most profitable.
Where costs are the lowest, where workers are exploited the most. Those who
choose to compete will be meeting those costs. AKA Being laid off and rehired with
a new title paid less, work more..... Sorry it's the new new reality for some...

Hope things turn out better....

PS Funny, before Avon, my wife worked for a growing advertising list company,
It was bought by a guy unlike the owner of Arbusto Oil, someone who
lost money on every business investment. Imagine not being able to find
Oil in Texass.... This guy bought the company,
sold off profitable parts, gutted it and eventually it was bought by a much
smaller competitor years later.... Kinda like your Dad's situation....
It worked out ok.... for now....

PS2 - That car..... Junk it for something cheap to run, and practical, till you
have the time and money for something to play with.....

Last edited by Username1; 07-09-2015 at 05:36 PM.
Audiokarma