Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Expeditions & Passions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-17-2011, 02:08 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
But the '59 Buick is all straight lines, the '60 is kind of curvy - an improvement to my eyes.

But with fords I'd take the '57-9 Sykliners (retractable hardtop) over pretty much anything else. Although the 58-60 Lincolns were real lookers too.

Early Buicks - give me the 42/6-8 Roadmaster or Super (the models where the front fenders meet the rear.

Yep, the cars of the past looked a whole lot more like the cars of the future to me than the cars of the present do.

My favorite Lincoln is the 1957 Premiere 2 door hardtop coupe,now those are some beautiful fins.

For some reason Ford seemed the most conservative when it came to fins on thier production cars...the FX Atmos concept car is quite another story,sadly that never was put into production.
Old 04-17-2011, 02:13 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnasonic66 View Post
I've always loved the 1959 Buicks too, they remind me of cats, and yes, the front has an angry but handsome face. To me also, they are the most beautiful ones ever made. Someone around the corner from here had a metallic turquoise Electra flattop in the early sixties. I aspire to a six window Electra 225 Riviera hardtop myself. I would take any model just to get in one though.

George Jetson, I love your avatar, I have a copy of the whole ad, Motorola had a neat theme that year, with the models in the ads acting little scenes instead of posing prettily next to the sets.
Thanks,those ads were pretty cool!
That's the only print ad I've ever been able to locate for the Fiberjet.
That's yet another item for which there is absolutely no information anywhere on the Internet.

According to a catalog I have there were four different bases offered with them,but I have yet to find even one.

If anyone out there has a line on one let me know!
Old 04-17-2011, 02:44 PM
VideoKarma Member

I'm anxious to see Kamakiri's Buick once it hits his driveway, since that is what the thread is about, to me, '53 through the mid '80s are all great Buicks. A friend of a friend had a '55 sedan that they deliberately destroyedand I had a chance to buy a Century coupe for a couple of thousand a few years ago, but they were such solid beautiful cars for the mid fifties. I have a Kintergarten memory of a pink '57 Premiere two door a little girl's mother drove, love to have any model of that car too.

BUT, as far as Motorola goes, in the slim chance I ever find a Fiberjet with that rocketship base or any, I'll break down and cut you in on it. With no hidden fees. I love Motorola products almost as much as Magnavox.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 270482461630_1_0_1.jpg (18.9 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg 35e2_1.jpg (30.6 KB, 21 views)

Last edited by magnasonic66; 04-17-2011 at 02:49 PM. Reason: spelling mistakes, add pics
Old 04-17-2011, 04:16 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnasonic66 View Post
I'm anxious to see Kamakiri's Buick once it hits his driveway, since that is what the thread is about, to me, '53 through the mid '80s are all great Buicks. A friend of a friend had a '55 sedan that they deliberately destroyedand I had a chance to buy a Century coupe for a couple of thousand a few years ago, but they were such solid beautiful cars for the mid fifties. I have a Kintergarten memory of a pink '57 Premiere two door a little girl's mother drove, love to have any model of that car too.

BUT, as far as Motorola goes, in the slim chance I ever find a Fiberjet with that rocketship base or any, I'll break down and cut you in on it. With no hidden fees. I love Motorola products almost as much as Magnavox.
An old girlfriend had a 1955 Buick hardtop as a daily driver.
Really stuck out with those two big "Dagmars" out front,and talk about well built!....and the car wasn't bad either!

Don't find too many girls into old cars.

Thanks for sharing the two ads,the wife in the Motorola console ad sure looks thrilled,doesn't she?

Last edited by GeorgeJetson; 04-17-2011 at 04:22 PM.
Old 04-17-2011, 10:12 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeJetson View Post
An old girlfriend had a 1955 Buick hardtop as a daily driver.
Really stuck out with those two big "Dagmars" out front,and talk about well built!....and the car wasn't bad either!
Ha!
Old 04-18-2011, 11:30 AM
Administrator

I was just admiring those bullet shaped thingies in the photo yesterday, in fact
Old 04-23-2011, 01:10 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakiri View Post
I was just admiring those bullet shaped thingies in the photo yesterday, in fact
And yet they didnt come out with "bras" for cars until they didnt have "dagmars" anymore!
Old 04-24-2011, 04:14 PM
Administrator

Well, she should be home within the next two weeks. Can't wait!
Old 04-24-2011, 07:12 PM
complete novice

Thats one good looking old girl youve picked up.

Id a steel T-bucket with a 401 nailhead in her and while she guzzled gas, she had more torque than she knew what to do with. I dont know if you plan on keeping her strictly stock or not, but several companies are reppoping the old 3 deuce intakes for the nailheads.

Even though im a young'un, I grew up in a family where we always drove classics. These girls simply have more soul in one square inch of chrome, than any of these new plastic jellybean shaped rigs on the road today.

Few things can compare to the feeling of sliding behind a big steering wheel, hearing that engine roar and taking your thousands of pounds of American steel and chrome down the road.

Keep us updated on your new toy.
Old 04-24-2011, 08:21 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

I remember my grandad had a tan '60 Sedan De Ville-the one AFTER the "Rocketship" fins-altho the '60's weren't exactly slouches. That Cad was a one-car parade, it was SO outrageous...Fritz finally traded it on a '68 Sedan De Ville-it was that ugly "avocado" green-a sort of pukey greenish-gold/tan non-color a lot of cars were at the end of the Sixties. Compared to the brassy '60, it had NO SEX whatsoever- not much chrome to speak of, no glorious fins, kinda looked like a big taxi-model Chevy. It was avocado/babyshit brown even on the inside...Blecch !
Old 04-24-2011, 10:10 PM
VideoKarma Member

A heartbreaker: my Dad found out about a guy with a bunch of Caddy convertibles just sitting in a barn. He investigated. Turned out to be 5 of them, the oldest a '68 and the newest a '75. They were bought in the 70s/80s as investments but the old chicken house they were parked in wasn't kept up. They are all now a mass of rust and mold. Sad, sad, sad. There is nothing that rags out quite like an old Cadillac.
Old 04-25-2011, 07:21 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbivy View Post
Thats one good looking old girl youve picked up.

Id a steel T-bucket with a 401 nailhead in her and while she guzzled gas, she had more torque than she knew what to do with. I dont know if you plan on keeping her strictly stock or not, but several companies are reppoping the old 3 deuce intakes for the nailheads.

Even though im a young'un, I grew up in a family where we always drove classics. These girls simply have more soul in one square inch of chrome, than any of these new plastic jellybean shaped rigs on the road today.

Few things can compare to the feeling of sliding behind a big steering wheel, hearing that engine roar and taking your thousands of pounds of American steel and chrome down the road.

Keep us updated on your new toy.
I keep watching this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THaARXncFGM

I'm going to be 40 in October, so I'm "kinda" young.....at least young for my interests and tastes.

At the moment, the main thing is to just get it roadable. It's going to cost more than a few bucks to replace the glass and tires alone, beyond that I have no idea what's there......which is part of the surprise. I haven't seen any interior shots to know what the seats and carpets look like, although after talking to the guy in New Mexico, he said he saw no rust on the floors when he lifted the carpets up, so that's a good sign. I know that it HAS seats, but I can't tell how good or bad they are.

The story as I know it is that he purchased a couple '37 Chevys from the previous owner about 15 years ago, which were sitting in the bottom of a valley out in New Mexico. It was about then that this car was parked there on the man's property....he sold the Chevys and decided that this was going to be the car he was going to restore.

Time passed, and my old Buick remained in the bottom of the valley untouched for all that time. The old man finally passed, having never done anything with the car. His widow gave him the old Buick, and he put her up on eBay.

I have no idea what I'll find inside the car.....old paperwork and McDonalds ketchups....or nothing. I was going to look for a set of hubcaps for it, or a couple missing pieces of trim, but for all I know, they're in the trunk. I do know that the gas tank was pulled out and is in the trunk, so whatever else is in there, I'll find out in a couple weeks.

I can only imagine the car sitting at the bottom of a valley, watching countless sunsets, waiting for someone to come along and save it

in a scene much like this one.....

Old 04-25-2011, 07:26 AM
Administrator

This is an outstanding video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwwUPcfTd8k
Old 06-14-2011, 12:03 PM
Administrator

Haven't really done much with the old gal but putter a bit. I figure that it's waited this long for me to come along, she's got some time to spare

For the heck of it, I started using some compound on what's left of the finish. She's gray! Imagine that
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_4879.jpg (58.2 KB, 35 views)
Old 07-15-2011, 03:38 PM
Tubes Are Good

The chrome looks to be in pretty good shape, in fact the bumper looks to weigh more than most new cars!!
Audiokarma