Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-18-2017, 02:29 AM
VideoKarma Member

Angry Ebay phunnies: shame on you!

I won a bid on a Zenith 8S154 chassis. The picture showed the bottom three wooden knobs and the bezel. Guess what was missing from the box?

Also has broken dial glass and broken dial plastic.

The aforementioned parts are for a dear friend. Call me crestfallen. Hit by the Ebay virus!!!
Old 03-18-2017, 10:03 AM
M is for Memory

Open a claim. Say they did not give all that was shown to be included in the listing and get your money back.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 03-18-2017, 10:11 AM
VideoKarma Member

Was there anything that could be tricky (deceitful) wording in the listing? How was his feedback? New seller? What was the item number or link?

Old 03-18-2017, 11:22 AM
Followin' the Rules...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WISCOJIM View Post
Was there anything that could be tricky (deceitful) wording in the listing? How was his feedback? New seller? What was the item number or link?

A link to the auction??????
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!
Old 03-18-2017, 09:57 PM
Old TVs are better!

Darned, and you were counting on the bezel and knobs. I would contact e-bay and at least get your money back. Well, I got taken once too, when I ordered dial cord off e-bay and it was so old and rotten that I couldn't even use it. I did contact them and they did give me a credit back into my bank account.
Audiokarma
Old 03-20-2017, 12:36 AM
VideoKarma Member

It is truly amazing some of the utter lies and deception that go on there, not to mention completely whacked out pricing which often pretty common items go for which I don't understand (or perhaps I do) how bids can run so high when you can get the same thing for a fraction of the price. Then a trend is created driving starting bids way up as other sellers think they really have something valuable.

I recently saw a fairly common and not that popular RCA M-66X11 AM radio sell for over $500 with 17 bids. This radio can be found fairly regularly for maybe $30 and often attracts no bids. It's plain and to me UGLY. LOL! I have one myself that I don't even display. I keep it in the shed with other items that I hope to some day rid myself of. Of course the seller gives a big pitch on the total restoration of the "magnificent DECO radio, blah, blah. blah. "There's something happening here; what it is aint exactly clear."

I won't bother going into packing issues and USPS insurance claim setups which is my latest experience....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 159976f4bee0129681351780d73490b3.jpg (50.4 KB, 37 views)
Old 03-20-2017, 01:33 AM
The Resident Brony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubejunke View Post
I recently saw a fairly common and not that popular RCA M-66X11 AM radio sell for over $500 with 17 bids. This radio can be found fairly regularly for maybe $30 and often attracts no bids. It's plain and to me UGLY. LOL!

I actually think it's a decent looking radio, I might like to have one... but not for $500 lol.
Old 03-21-2017, 07:38 AM
VideoKarma Member

Go figure... I have one, but mine has a piece busted out in the lower corner. An OLD neighbor lady gave it to me in the 80's. And go figure... it still works well on original caps.
Old 03-22-2017, 12:07 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstout66 View Post
Go figure... I have one, but mine has a piece busted out in the lower corner. An OLD neighbor lady gave it to me in the 80's. And go figure... it still works well on original caps.
Mine as well is completely unrestored and works. The volume level is a little low, but that's about the only complaint or need to repair that I can see. I just never liked the overdone decorative action over the speaker. There is a similar model without that which looks much better to me. The whole topic of unrestored survivors is one that has been discussed at least once by me and probably many more times by others.

I love my unrestored sets, as it is all but electronically impossible for them to exist with any measure of reliability. I have many that I wouldn’t hesitate to allow to play all day as is. I don’t want to go further as it drifts off topic.
Maybe I should put something on my RCA in the classifieds here as I am always trying to recreate room at my place. The value of the tube compliment is about all I would want for the thing. Being a 6-tube job is about the only thing I see that makes it even remotely special.