Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique phonographs

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-08-2019, 04:51 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_tv_nut View Post
Not following what you mean by "the ground wire plug that goes into the turntable." Do you mean the place where the ground wire connects?

What I mean is that the ground wire is removable from the back of the record player because it plugs into the back of the turntable using a banana plug, and when I disconnect the banana plug end of the ground wire from the back of the turntable but the spade end is still connected to the ground screw on the receiver the hum goes away until I touch the banana plug tip with my fingers then it hums again.
Old 06-08-2019, 04:53 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Also, if the power plug for the turntable is not polarized, have you tried turning it around?
No the plug isn't polarized and no I haven't tried switching it around yet. I'll give it a try though.
Old 06-09-2019, 01:15 AM
VideoKarma Member

Are you connecting the turntable ground wire to the ground screw on your amplifier, or to earth ground? It needs to go only to the amplifier, any other connection will make hum.

Also, shure cartridges sometimes strap one negative terminal to chassis ground, meaning if it does not hum with the ground wire disconnected leave it disconnected. This isn't a safety ground, it's just for hum reduction
Old 06-09-2019, 07:50 AM
VideoKarma Member

Is this a ground loop issue? https://www.ebay.com/itm/202687458692

Old 06-09-2019, 09:29 AM
Zenith Walton My 1st TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxhifi View Post
Also, shure cartridges sometimes strap one negative terminal to chassis ground, meaning if it does not hum with the ground wire disconnected leave it disconnected. This isn't a safety ground, it's just for hum reduction
Not just Shure does that. Most all MM cartridges come with that strap to ground at one of the G terminals. If the tone arm head shell is metal or plastic with a ground to the cartridge body, that strap can sometimes cause a ground loop and hum. Remove that strap if using a metal or grounded head shell.
Audiokarma
Old 06-09-2019, 10:13 AM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed in Tx View Post
Not just Shure does that. Most all MM cartridges come with that strap to ground at one of the G terminals. If the tone arm head shell is metal or plastic with a ground to the cartridge body, that strap can sometimes cause a ground loop and hum. Remove that strap if using a metal or grounded head shell.
Pretty sure he said it was a p-mount cartridge...Those have no head shell...The cart plugs into the end of the arm shaft like a head shell. There should be no user configurable wiring on the cart since P-mount carts all had a standard 4-pin plug on the back that mated to a standard socket on the arm.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 06-09-2019, 10:16 AM
Zenith Walton My 1st TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
Pretty sure he said it was a p-mount cartridge...
Ah I missed that.
Old 06-09-2019, 12:30 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxhifi View Post
Are you connecting the turntable ground wire to the ground screw on your amplifier, or to earth ground? It needs to go only to the amplifier, any other connection will make hum.

It's attached to the ground screw on the back of the receiver near the phono input jacks.
I could see about disconnecting the ground wire and seeing if that helps.

Last edited by vortalexfan; 06-10-2019 at 02:13 AM.
Old 06-10-2019, 08:38 PM
VideoKarma Member

OK So a Little update, I changed the RCA Cable that I was using for another cable I had laying around that was shorter and the hum went away and its working fine now.

I think what the deal was was that the the cable I was using had a defective ground wire connection somewhere in the cabling becuse if you didn't have the wire positioned a certain way the receiver would hum really loudly with a 60 Hz hum that was louder than the music that would happen even without the record player playing.

So I think it was mostly defective wiring more than anything.
Old 06-10-2019, 09:53 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

I hope you cut it in two and threw it away so you are never tempted to try it again.
Audiokarma
Old 06-10-2019, 10:21 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:

I hope you cut it in two and threw it away so you are never tempted to try it again.
Oh Definitely, I'm planning on getting rid of that cable!