Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-23-2014, 10:15 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

For all I know my 12CB12ZX chassis Zenith could have all of its original tubes. I still need to open it to check the connections at the terminal board.
Old 05-23-2014, 10:15 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa2ise View Post
I liked the picture the RCA comb filter chassises (CTC101, CTC111, CTC121, CTC131) produced. Though the CTC101 had that infamous flyback.

Of the numbers you named..ALL but the 131 are HOT chassis sets-- I did not and DO not like hot sets very well.

And the 131 uses a finicky SMPS supply that WILL whack the Switch out transistor if ANYTHING is off in its ckty. I have a pair of the "cube RCA " table model sets with the 131, both work "somewhat" AFAIK. I do NOT have a dimensia set though and want one.
Old 05-23-2014, 10:17 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon A. View Post
For all I know my 12CB12ZX chassis Zenith could have all of its original tubes. I still need to open it to check the connections at the terminal board.

I KNOW mine did, back in 'the day (1980-81. But that was over 30 years ago too..)
Old 05-24-2014, 01:14 PM
David Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
I think the Motorola Quasars deserve an honorable mention. When I was growing up my folks had one of Moto's last ones (~1976) that kept chugging along into the early 90's. IIRC the story of it's death and a vid of a similar set (mine might have been a hybrid) is in the what I want link in my sig. It was a good set, and it may have ran a few more years if I wasn't so curious as a kid... It was about as good as my hybrid Zenith CC set is now performance wise.
I remember the tech I went to work for when I was in high school had a Motorola/Quasar "Works in the Drawer" console at his house that had very little service on it since he bought it. When he retired in 1991, he was still watching that same TV.

THe odd thing is, he never turned it off. It stayed turned on day and night for years, and just kept on chugging along. It finally quit in the early 2000's, and he had to replace it. When it stopped working one day, he just drug it out to the street for the trash man and bought a new one. He told me he never even took the back off it to try and fix it.

I suppose he figured he got his money's worth out of it.
Old 05-24-2014, 01:18 PM
David Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by rca2000 View Post
Of the numbers you named..ALL but the 131 are HOT chassis sets-- I did not and DO not like hot sets very well.

And the 131 uses a finicky SMPS supply that WILL whack the Switch out transistor if ANYTHING is off in its ckty. I have a pair of the "cube RCA " table model sets with the 131, both work "somewhat" AFAIK. I do NOT have a dimensia set though and want one.
An RCA Dimensia....now there's a blast from the past. I remember they were great performers, but pure hell to repair. I only had a few come across my bench, but remember pulling out my hair over every single one of them
Audiokarma
Old 05-24-2014, 01:22 PM
VideoKarma Member

My CTC-121 was a superb performer. It was the type with the drop down door on top and tone controls/stereo sound and on screen display. The CRT shorted however.