Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Things with Motors

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-22-2013, 05:39 AM
Administrator

I remember when those Probes came out, I was a detailer at a Ford dealership at the time. They came with a sheet of paper on the front seat, showing how the plastic clips that were on the rear window were to hold the glass to the frame of the rear window while the adhesive cured during transport. I still have one of those papers

They had a Nascar edition (as I remember) turbo in 89 too. I LOVED those. Fast as hell
Old 08-31-2013, 11:52 AM
VideoKarma Member

I brive a dus ..... i dus a brive
Old 08-31-2013, 07:54 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramden66 View Post
I brive a dus ..... i dus a brive
The Honeymooners was an honestly funny series. I liked the mother in law. She could really get to him.
BTW, the TV's shown on the series, weren't Dumonts, they were CBS-Columbia's.
Old 09-27-2013, 01:29 PM
VideoKarma Member

Not sensible as every day transport but I've driven about 25k miles in the last 20 years in this.

Peter

http://www.nostaliatech.co.uk/ss_jaguar.htm

Last edited by peter scott; 12-07-2019 at 04:28 AM.
Old 09-27-2013, 03:27 PM
Not sure how I got here.

Wow...... nice little car ya got there.....
Old 09-27-2013, 03:51 PM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks SB. It was one of the fastest saloons on British roads back in the 1930s (0 to 60mph in 17 secs) but most modern cars today can leave it standing.

Peter

This list was compiled by the Autocar in 1936 and the accompanying text highlights how few saloons had more than 3HP/100lb weight.

I have highlighted them with red dots.

Last edited by peter scott; 09-27-2013 at 03:54 PM.
Old 09-27-2013, 04:58 PM
M is for Memory

Figures the Scotch would name styles of cars after American slang for establishments that serve alcohol...Was it okay to consume alcohol in your saloons back in the day?

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 09-27-2013, 06:00 PM
VideoKarma Member

Gorgeous car and gorgeous countryside there Peter. I bet you've had a lot of great trips in it.

I'm surprised to see Railton listed as an American car. I know the frame was imported from Hudson in the States, but everything else was made in Britain, wasn't it?
Old 09-28-2013, 04:17 AM
VideoKarma Member

The frame AND engine and transmission were Hudson so it was really only the body that Railton added. The straight eight was a nice fast car. Went up Brooklands 1 in 3 test hill from a standing start and lept over the top!

I guess back then it was ok to drive whilst tanked up but you needed to close one eye to do it or you kept having to choose which road to take.

Peter

Last edited by peter scott; 09-28-2013 at 04:27 AM.
Old 09-28-2013, 06:12 AM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter scott View Post
Not sensible as every day transport but I've driven about 25k miles in the last 20 years in this.

Peter
Looks like something out of Bonnie and Clyde, but flipped.
Audiokarma
Old 09-28-2013, 10:50 AM
VideoKarma Member

Currently I drive nothing. -_-

Battery is bone dead. And because my job recruiter kept blowing me off, I have no job, and a negative checking account. I am done for now. Damnit! Batteries warranty is done too.
Old 09-29-2013, 04:20 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter scott View Post
The frame AND engine and transmission were Hudson so it was really only the body that Railton added. The straight eight was a nice fast car. Went up Brooklands 1 in 3 test hill from a standing start and lept over the top!

:
Ah, wouldn't it be a thrill today if we could race around Brooklands in one of these cars...

Thanks for the clarification. I really like most pre-war British cars, but I think a few really stand out like the Jags. I like most of their post-war cars too until the Mark 1. Not that it was a bad looking car by any means, but they seemed to lack the elegance of the earlier sedans (saloons to you).

Last edited by egrand; 09-29-2013 at 04:25 PM.
Old 09-30-2013, 07:06 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by egrand View Post
Ah, wouldn't it be a thrill today if we could race around Brooklands in one of these cars...

Thanks for the clarification. I really like most pre-war British cars, but I think a few really stand out like the Jags. I like most of their post-war cars too until the Mark 1. Not that it was a bad looking car by any means, but they seemed to lack the elegance of the earlier sedans (saloons to you).
Especially if it was the ultimate Brooklands gladiator (John Cobb's Napier-Railton)..

There is still a tremendous atmosphere just standing on the parts of the banking that remain.

The 1950s wasn't really a very good period for saloon/sedan elegance (with the odd exception from the likes of Citroen). I agree that the Mark I could be better but the Mark II was much improved with its thin framed side windows.

Peter
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1020402 (Large).jpg (129.9 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by peter scott; 09-30-2013 at 08:38 AM.
Old 09-30-2013, 08:21 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Well, the early postwar years were a sellers' market, they could sell anything/everything they could push out the factory doors... This situation lasted here in America at least until 1949-50. Only then did you see "Progress" being made in automotive design, I.E. more power & ease of control. its also when the car companies got a formula-Front Engine, rear drive, & set about perfecting it, making the car as reliable w/as little maintenance from the owner. That "Formula" lasted into the 1970s-early eighties, til the front engine/front wheel drive package began to dominate, as it still does today.
Old 10-08-2013, 12:54 PM
VideoKarma Member

Just recently purchased this 2011 Ford F-150 XL. It has the V6 with a 6sp automatic. Just about 43,000 miles on it.

This is my 1969 Ford F-100 Custom Heavy Duty Special. I've had it for over 3 years now. It was bought new here in Phoenix and has spent its entire life here. Slowly restoring it. It has a 360 V8 with a 4spd manual.

Just acquired this from my father-in-law. 1956 Thunderbird

This is my dad's 1960 Thunderbird that one day will be mine. It has the 352 V8 automatic with factory pwr windows and a/c.

This 1981 Delorean, I had to sell about 3 years ago. Needed the money. I still miss it. One day I will get another one. Took 5 years to restore it.

I also had a 1974 Gran Torino that got wrecked about 5 years ago. I loved that car.
Audiokarma