Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-25-2016, 09:43 AM
VideoKarma Member

Best TV ever built, if I could only keep one set my Avanti with a 25DC56 would be it.
Old 06-12-2016, 10:49 PM
TheUniversalDave1

I got this set all put back together and SETUP PROCREDURE-D today. I have a video of it on my Youtube channel.

Last edited by TUD1; 02-14-2018 at 12:16 PM.
Old 06-12-2016, 10:50 PM
TheUniversalDave1

Just kidding. Here's AFTER the procedure.

Last edited by TUD1; 03-12-2017 at 06:56 PM.
Old 06-13-2016, 12:10 PM
M is for Memory

They look so much better with the setup wrong, don't they.

BTW: convergence, purity, grayscale, deflection/geometry, and user controls adjustments are referred to as SETUP adjustments, and what you did is a SETUP PROCEDURE (new sets often received it prior to customer delivery, and/or at customer residence upon delivery thus the name setup). Alignment is where you get a Sweep/marker generator, an oscilloscope, and a diddle stick and adjust every slug in the tuner and IF till the video frequency response curve matches factory spec. Best to not confuse the two. Setup can be done by most people (with instructions), and should be repeated occasionally, but alignment (is very difficult and) should not need to be done after the factory except under extreme circumstances where uncommon failure in those systems or "screw driver drift" have made an alignment necessary.....We don't want noobs with convergence problems bleeping with the IF slugs because someone recommended preforming an alignment.

*(please don't read the caps as shouting, but rather read them in a dramatically deep TV announcer voice with lots of reverb.)

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 08-02-2016, 11:46 PM
TheUniversalDave1

As I've been watching this TV, the convergence has somehow drifted to the point where it looked nothing like the picture of after I set it up last. I decided that enough's enough, and I dynamically converged this thing for two hours today. Unfortunately, I don't have a before picture, but believe me, it was bad. This picture shows after I worked on it for two hours. Big improvement.

Last edited by TUD1; 02-14-2018 at 12:16 PM.
Audiokarma
Old 08-03-2016, 05:45 AM
Don't mess with Esther.

Looks great, nice job.
Old 08-04-2016, 09:43 AM
TheUniversalDave1

I don't think I ever mentioned a problem this TV is having. When you first turn it on, the picture is very brite and washed out and has retrace lines, but as it runs for 5-10 minutes, it gets darker. I've been told it could be a cap in the boost circuit, or a loose module connection.
Old 08-29-2016, 04:59 PM
TheUniversalDave1

I did convergence on this thing yet again. There was a blue stripe above the image with widescreen programs. It's fixed now. I checked the high voltage since I had the back off, and it was right at 30 KV. That seems a little high to me. What do you all think? Speaking of high voltage, I accidentally touched the horizontal output transistor while the set was on, and if I wasn't fully awake before, I sure am now. Now I'm that much closer to my Zenith Chromacolor.
Old 08-29-2016, 05:11 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Have the white safety caps been replaced? If so, perhaps your probe is out of whack. Mine's a little strange, showing only about 21 KV on my Zenith before and after changing the caps. The pic looked fine last I tried it.

P.S. I got zapped with the residual HV from my Sylvania's CRT when removing the 2nd anode lead to replace the tripler. The set was just on.
Old 08-29-2016, 05:21 PM
VideoKarma Member

don't use it anymore unless you know the safety caps have been replaced.
Audiokarma
Old 08-29-2016, 06:04 PM
TheUniversalDave1

I replaced the safety caps myself with Sprague Orange Drops. Jon, I also got a bite when I took the CRT out my 1967 RCA, and that was about 1% of what I experienced today.

Last edited by TUD1; 08-29-2016 at 06:07 PM.
Old 08-29-2016, 06:54 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUD1 View Post
I replaced the safety caps myself with Sprague Orange Drops. Jon, I also got a bite when I took the CRT out my 1967 RCA, and that was about 1% of what I experienced today.
Wow. A full HV bite has to be a rite of passage for us, so I mean it when I say congrats on your milestone.
Old 08-29-2016, 06:57 PM
TheUniversalDave1

Thanks, mate!
Old 10-15-2016, 10:42 PM
TheUniversalDave1

This TV lost high voltage tonight at 22:38 central time. I remember when I first got this thing, I plugged it in, and this is exactly what it did. It had audio, but no HV. The white safety caps have been replaced with orange drops.

Update - problem solved. Horizontal board had dirty contacts.

Last edited by TUD1; 10-15-2016 at 11:18 PM.