Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Expeditions & Passions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-01-2013, 10:01 PM
VideoKarma Member

CRT Computer Monitors..Anyone still use them ?

Anyone here still using CRT Computer monitors ?
Ive been a CRT fan forever and cannot make the switch to LCD !

Recently I bought a Sony FW900 Monitor for $50 bucks locally.
I see on ebay these things sell for $500-$1000 !
If no one knows, this is a 24" 16:10 CRT flat panel Monitor.
Supposedly, it sold for $3500 new. Last made in 2004. Made in Japan.
It weighed 92 lb !
The picture quality was out of this world !

Heres a thread I found on it with all info/specs .
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=952788

That monitor lasted 2 years then when up in smoke 1 day when I turned it on.
It was a short in the tube that was not repairable. I sold it to someone locally for parts.

Heres a pic of it

I am now using probably just as good a 22" NEC FE2111SB monitor.
It has an amazing picture and I got it for cheap ! I also got a free one just for backup.
I have both the white and black casings.

http://reviews.cnet.com/crt-monitors...-20283601.html

Last edited by Robb; 07-01-2013 at 10:09 PM.
Old 07-02-2013, 02:48 AM
M is for Memory

Still have one, but as a spare. It's kind of bulky for it's screen size and was buried in storage when my folks finally realized they could have bought a new computer with the money they were spending at Kinkos(at which point they bought their first NEW computer ever) to access the internet after the crappy Windows 98 Dell that was connected to the CRT monitor refused to access the internet anymore.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 07-02-2013, 04:07 AM
VideoKarma Member

Only on my old computers like my Tandy's and Apple IIGS where I don't have a choice. For my desktops being able to do this is important.

Also it's way to much power for a dual monitor set up with CRT's when they'll be left on most of the time.

That Sony looks nice though.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:02 AM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyLlama View Post
Only on my old computers like my Tandy's and Apple IIGS where I don't have a choice. For my desktops being able to do this is important.
You ought to be able to use a regular PC monitor with the IIgs at least by using a scan doubler. It's the 15.75 KHz horizontal sync signal put out by the gs that makes a regular PC monitor unusable under normal circumstances.

Whoa, it's been a while since I saw a screen like that. Reminds me of the time I received a hand-down Macintosh IIci and a friend and I were trying to figure out what the mystery video card was for, as the computer had on-board video and this card wouldn't drive the monitor. Turns out it was for some oddball monochrome vertical-screen Mac monitor.

I'm using a ViewSonic UltraBrite A71f+. Bought new in 2005, taken out of service for a while when I decided to retire the Power Mac G3 that was too weak for my needs, put back in service when I got the late-model G4 in 2009 that I currently use, has been running for most of that time since. It has screen burn from my browser toolbar, and shows fine lines at the bottom of the screen as it's warming up, but hasn't missed a beat. A little while back I picked up a free ViewSonic PerfectFlat A70f to keep around as a spare. It remains untested.

Last edited by Jon A.; 07-02-2013 at 09:14 AM.
Old 07-02-2013, 11:26 AM
Administrator

I use this old Dell 17" every day. I had a nice Hitachi ProScan 21" that I used until it died. I think my ex-in-laws paid about $400 for it.

My desk is a huge Kimball desk (as in the piano maker), so the added depth doesn't bother me in the least.
Old 07-02-2013, 12:35 PM
<----Zenith C845

I use an HP S2031 flat screen monitor with my Windows XP computer, but I still have an HP MX70 CRT monitor that I used with my Windows 98 system. The MX70 still works, but I think the degausser is shot as it "re-gausses" the CRT every time I turn the monitor on. The raster has a bend in it I can't get rid of and probably won't until I go in and unplug the degausser from the monitor's main board. Other than that, the MX70 still works very well. It remains in storage until or unless my flat screen monitor quits, and even if it does, it has a four-year warranty so I don't see the MX-70 replacing it any time soon, except as a backup to the flat monitor.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.
Old 07-02-2013, 01:30 PM
a- v- karma member

Running an Optiquest Q95, purchased new in 2004 as part of a PC system.
Computer fell to the ground and died this past January, but the monitor is now
being used with a Mac Mini. Also have several spare CRT monitors picked on
the sidewalk over the years.
Old 07-02-2013, 02:24 PM
VideoKarma Member

That oddball Macintosh vertical monitor may have been a Radius Pivot. Heavy, bulky, but nice. The only CRT monitor I've kept is a really nice 9" Sony CGA monitor. Selection criteria was: it looked nice from the front and from the back. I kid you not.

Chip
Old 07-02-2013, 05:39 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip Chester View Post
That oddball Macintosh vertical monitor may have been a Radius Pivot. Heavy, bulky, but nice.
Yes, that sounds right, it's been a while since I heard the name. I saw one in a thrift shop years later.
Old 07-04-2013, 05:38 PM
creepingnet

My only CRT monitors are actual TV sets - a Sony something-or-other-made-in-the-last-10-years, and a 84' Mitsubishi CS1984R that's in my "shop" until I have time to finish working on it. I use them with the Tandy 1000 and a 2005 Dell Dimension 5100 that has a composite video card.
Audiokarma
Old 07-05-2013, 12:30 PM
M is for Memory

I just remembered that my 'VCR computer' (an XP era HP mother board that I found at the curb in a roached cabinet and installed in a gutted Zenith VCR) is being ran on 'CRT monitors'. I put vista on it and am using the S-video out to feed my vintage TV sets internet and non-DVD format digtal recordings.
Though lately the USB buses have been balking at most things I connect to them including my USB WiFi adapter so it has not seen use in a while...

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 07-05-2013, 01:47 PM
VideoKarma Member

I bought an NEC Multisync FE950+ 19" Flat tube back in 2001 or so. I paid like $400 for it back when I had a real job. It's sitting in the closet because I run dual 23" LED monitors now. I will probably keep that 19 forever just on principle. I refuse to sell it for $20 (which is about all I could probably get for it). I thought about using it to make a mame arcade cabinet. I still have my 9" VGA color cash register monitor too just because it's neat-o.
Old 07-10-2013, 03:58 AM
Analogue is Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakiri
I use this old Dell 17" every day.
Very nice!!

I have a 16" RELISYS (My Commodore 64 Monitor is 12" i think im not sure)

EDIT:

This says its 13" (Its not the same model of my monitor but the size is the same...i cant seem to find the one I have (Which i think is an ORIGINAL COMMODORE 64 MONITOR))

www.richardlagendijk.nl/cip/monitor/item/1802/en

EDIT2:

Now im confused!!

I just looked @ the back of my monitor and it IS an 1802 (Like the one listed above) BUT MINE ONLY SAYS "COMMODORE" on the front (Not Commodore 1802) -- Very strange!

EDIT3:

I guess mine is revision T in the 1802 series...

www.zimmers.net/cbmpics/cbm/monitors/1802t.gif

Last edited by Dude111; 07-10-2013 at 04:29 AM.
Old 07-10-2013, 07:53 AM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Very nice!!

I have a 16" RELISYS (My Commodore 64 Monitor is 12" i think im not sure)

EDIT:

This says its 13" (Its not the same model of my monitor but the size is the same...i cant seem to find the one I have (Which i think is an ORIGINAL COMMODORE 64 MONITOR))
It depends on which version of the 64 you're talking about. I believe that the 1701, almost identical to the 1702, was the original monitor for the original 64, and the 1802 the original monitor for the 64C (white case).
Old 07-10-2013, 07:10 PM
Another CT-100 lives!

My monitor at work is still a CRT. But, the computer there is running Windows 2000, too.

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Audiokarma