Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-13-2015, 08:34 AM
Stuck in the past!

1964 Zenith console stereo FINALLY acquired!

I originally tried to pick this up in July 2014 when the owner of the store switched the price from $30 to $200. I went back in there a couple weeks ago and the price had dropped to $75. Went in yesterday and asked about it. The guy said it started a loud hum sound recently and said make offer. I asked about $40 and he said $50. Then he said ok, $45. Loaded it up and tested when i got here. Everything including the VM changer works. Just has that hum along side the music regardless if its the record or fm radio. Filter tube?

Last edited by pac.attack76; 07-14-2016 at 02:46 PM.
Old 11-13-2015, 10:10 AM
VideoKarma Member

most likely capacitors, with a unit that age, it will need a lot of them replaced. Good bet the changer will need some cleaning and lube also.
Old 11-17-2015, 05:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pac.attack76 View Post
I originally tried to pick this up in July 2014 when the owner of the store switched the price from $30 to $200. I went back in there a couple weeks ago and the price had dropped to $75. Went in yesterday and asked about it. The guy said it started a loud hum sound recently and said make offer. I asked about $40 and he said $50. Then he said ok, $45. Loaded it up and tested when i got here. Everything including the VM changer works. Just has that hum along side the music regardless if its the record or fm radio. Filter tube?
That's a nice Zenith Console!

And yes the hum you're hearing is the sound of failed Filter Capacitors which will need to be replaced, you can just mount the new capacitors under the chassis of the Amplifier and leave the old one in for appearances sake. with a unit that new more than likely the coupling caps are mylar so you won't have to mess around with those but the filter caps (which are usually a silver aluminum can with multiple values in it) are usually mounted on top of the chassis near the power transformer and rectifier tube.

The record player is more than likely a Voice of Music made record changer that was rebadged for Zenith and it may have a first generation Microtouch 2G Record Changer in it which if that's the case that's the best record player Zenith made because its easier on records because it only tracks at 2 grams which is extremely light compared to other record changers of the day which tracked at between 4-8 grams, and should be pretty easy to service if needed. The parts for the record changer if you need them will be available over at www.thevoiceofmusic.com Gary Stork there can hook you up with the goods you need.

Last edited by Captainclock; 11-17-2015 at 05:37 PM.