Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-29-2013, 07:41 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenithfan1 View Post
Hontou ni? Ore wa Samusung no taikutsu
nihongo ga sukoshi dake dekimasu...

Old 09-30-2013, 07:44 AM
BigDavesTV

Absolutely beautiful screen shots! Such wonderful color rendition, and sharpness! Nah, I'd rather watch a flat screen :-) Haha.....
Old 09-30-2013, 08:03 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Just kinda says quietly & eloquently that we HAVEN'T really made all THAT much progress in nearly 60 years-Tweaking things a little one way or another, yeah, better reliability-Maybe- but better rendition of color ? Not so much...Leastways, that's the way I see it...
Old 09-30-2013, 05:41 PM
VideoKarma Member

Observed line-pairing

Wayne...........Screen-shot # 5 displays only one field not a full frame time. In checking the parameters of that jpg shot I noted it's shutter opening time was 1/13 second or quite sufficient for a complete 1/30 second interlaced frame. It is apparent that line-pairing occurred during screen-shot #5 as you observed. Since all the other shots taken within a few minutes had good interlacing, an anomaly had occurred. Early-on I observed that vertical interlace quality is greatly influenced by the front panel vertical hold manual setting, even when the hold is well removed from causing vertical roll. I considered this imperfection to be of secondary importance and accommodated it by manually tweaking the vertical hold to achieve interlace immediately before any quality screen shot. Apparently, I neglected to tweak the vertical hold before shooting #5. I intend to get into the vertical deinterleaver some day to find out why the waveform differential circuitry is not operating correctly…..Tom
Old 10-06-2013, 03:20 PM
VideoKarma Member

Interesting about the interlacing. The earlier black and white sets especially from the more expensive RCAs (630TS through 9TC270) had more complicated sync amplification and two sync clippers. Along with the good, more comprehensive vertical sync integration and the standard blocking oscillator, the interlace is generally excellent over a wider range of the vertical hold control. The cleaness of the vertical sync applied to the vertical oscilator is demonstrated when you intentionally roll the picture with the vertcal hold ids a "smooth" roll rather than a "jerky" roll which implies fully stripped sync free from any remaining video.

The mid 50's RCA sets had considerably cheapened sync circuits and disposal of the blocking oscillator transformer with feedback from the output stage expands the problem of oscilator drift from one to two stages. (I however thought the 'CT55 was the last color set to maintain the transformer). Maintaining good interlace would be affected.

It suggests to me that the designers in the mid '50's were on a tight budget to remain competitive. I'd be curious of others thoughts and if others have had the same problem with mid 50's RCA vertcal circuits. (I am currently tracing a vertical sync drift in my CTC5 as the set warms up over 1/2 hour).
Audiokarma
Old 10-06-2013, 07:28 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomcomm View Post
Wayne...........Screen-shot # 5 displays only one field not a full frame time. In checking the parameters of that jpg shot I noted it's shutter opening time was 1/13 second or quite sufficient for a complete 1/30 second interlaced frame. It is apparent that line-pairing occurred during screen-shot #5 as you observed. Since all the other shots taken within a few minutes had good interlacing, an anomaly had occurred. Early-on I observed that vertical interlace quality is greatly influenced by the front panel vertical hold manual setting, even when the hold is well removed from causing vertical roll. I considered this imperfection to be of secondary importance and accommodated it by manually tweaking the vertical hold to achieve interlace immediately before any quality screen shot. Apparently, I neglected to tweak the vertical hold before shooting #5. I intend to get into the vertical deinterleaver some day to find out why the waveform differential circuitry is not operating correctly…..Tom
Line pairing generally comes from horizontal energy getting into the vertical sync - but it doesn't have to be a sync signal separation circuit problem necessarily. It can also occur due to ground currents from the H sweep getting into the vertical, and this can be very difficult to find and fix, as it depends on the physical arrangement of ground points of the various circuits of the chassis. If the sync circuit itself is clean, then experimenting with extra ground leads and lead dress, or actually moving existing ground points may show some effect.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:50 AM
VideoKarma Member

I have had my bouts with interlace issues on RCA sets (some same models some fine some more critical on vert hold setting), I have read that the .001 cap often found from the primary lead of the vert out trans to ground (.001) is there to ground horz noise that works its way back from the yoke thru the transformer.

I know I had a BW maggie that had a real bad interlace issue, the sync pulse looked fine, the vert hold could not be set to get rid of it (like most sets). in desperation I switched the yoke, voila interlace issue gone. I cant recall the details that lead me to suspect the yoke (I was scoping stuff and some how noticed hash that seemed to be coming from the vert out trans).
Old 12-03-2013, 07:01 PM
VideoKarma Member

Test big 21CT55 screen shots

Old 12-04-2013, 08:50 AM
VideoKarma Member

Ferris Bueller, you're my hero.

Cameron
Old 12-04-2013, 09:19 AM
Not sure how I got here.

disgustingly good picture..... !
Old 12-25-2013, 03:35 PM
VideoKarma Member

Merry Christmas

Enough Ferris Bueller and DVE for a while. Something more seasonal for the 21CT55 to display.

Old 12-25-2013, 09:43 PM
15GP22 demo @ ETF 2007

Great screenshots. The cat jumps right out at you...

Pete
Old 12-25-2013, 10:09 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

Wondering why Santa's sweater looks neutral white in the first shot and bluish in the 4th shot. An effect of your camera, or visible to the eye in person also?
Old 12-26-2013, 09:49 AM
VideoKarma Member

nice

to my eyes the flesh tones are amazing
Old 12-26-2013, 12:50 PM
VideoKarma Member

Santa Sweater Mystery

I re displayed the two Santa s on the 21CT55 and the 27in Sony. The sweaters were identical white with black patterns. there was no bluishtint on either. So there must be some anomaly in the camera ?? I've included the Santa redo and the original video capture jpg that drove the two TVs .

Last edited by Tomcomm; 12-26-2013 at 01:39 PM.
Audiokarma