Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-01-2017, 06:47 PM
VideoKarma Member

Location: Valley of the Sun, formerly Silicon Valley, formerly Packer Land.
Quote:
Originally Posted by benman94 View Post
Just an FYI for anyone interested, I downloaded the highest resolution copies of the Edsel Show tape, the WRC tape, and an evening with Fred Astaire from Youtube. I then used some light denoise, corrected an issue in the WRC tape chroma, scaled it down with a top notch scaling algorithm, reencoded/remuxed it to a DVD compliant TS stream (2 pass, VBR), built a little DVD menu for it, and have the ISO for anyone interested.

It still looks like sh*t on a flat panel (like most SD material) but looks very nice on an analog set. Short of getting access to the whatever Ed Reitan and co. dubbed the specials to when they played back the tapes, my lightly cleaned copies are probably the best looking out there.

If you want it, PM me.
I'd be interested. Can you burn a DVD? Will send you a private message.

I uploaded two additional videos to YouTube.

First: https://youtu.be/EOKXCV35q7Y

About all the movement. I was not that shaky. We used a stabilization upgrade in YouTube Capture and it made the video much worse then original. The video is a bit over saturated.

Second: https://youtu.be/21DrJUTek6Q

This video was done to show the entire cabinet. Choose 1080p or 720P

Last edited by etype2; 03-01-2017 at 06:54 PM.
Old 03-01-2017, 07:28 PM
Workin' Late Again

I think your set looks great. However everyone's perception of color rendering is varied, just we all hear things differently.
Old 03-01-2017, 09:49 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Kuehn View Post
I think your set looks great. However everyone's perception of color rendering is varied, just we all hear things differently.
Kevin,

Thank you. Absolutely!

We have found through the years, it depends on program material. Some of it is good, some not so good. Looking at programming, especially the nostalgic stuff today, the video color quality varies from very good to poor. The same series can look great one night, the next night, not very good because the stations are broadcasting episodes which can be years apart, night to night. We are disadvantaged at the moment without the ability to display DVD content. We know the quality of DVD content on an old roundie is better then converted OTA broadcasts generally speaking, there are exceptions.

I feel very satisfied with the results of our restoration. I think we got it as good as we can knowing the limitations of 62 year old technology. Yet there is always that quest to get it better. I appreciate all the VK members that helped in our restoration, including you Kevin. Stay tuned. :-)
Old 03-01-2017, 10:26 PM
M is for Memory

Out here you can get a DVD player and a RF modulator for under $10 at thrift stores....The local Goodwills have 5-20 DVD players for sale on any given day. Drop in and grab a cheap used one.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 03-02-2017, 12:21 PM
Resident Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
Out here you can get a DVD player and a RF modulator for under $10 at thrift stores....The local Goodwills have 5-20 DVD players for sale on any given day. Drop in and grab a cheap used one.
Hell, the last time I was in a Walmart, which has been a while, they had a cheapo DVD player on sale, new, for $15 or so.

I'd recommend using a BT modulator though.
Audiokarma
Old 03-02-2017, 01:30 PM
VideoKarma Member

Ben,

There was a problem with the private message, so I sent you my reply by email with address. Thanks very much.

Tom: I have several DVD players, need a good modulator.
Old 03-02-2017, 02:49 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by benman94 View Post
Hell, the last time I was in a Walmart, which has been a while, they had a cheapo DVD player on sale, new, for $15 or so.

I'd recommend using a BT modulator though.
The BTs are great performers. Though the number of BTs that need a recap is unsettling for a SS product.

You can pick up a BT BAVM-z on ebay for well under $50. I recommend the fixed channel BAVM series over the AM40/60 mods. The BAVMs seem to run cooler and have a lower DOA percentage when buying un/partially-tested units....Make sure you pick one set up for a channel your set can tune, and that you want to use. The BAVM series can transmit up to a few hundred feet (about a block) if feeding a dipole ant cut to the 1/2 wave wavelength of the channel's center frequency....If you choose to go the wireless route (as I have) I recommend selecting a channel not used by any tuneable local DTV stations...If you pick a active local channel you'll interfere with those close by trying to tune the DTV station and the DTV station will interfere with you.

Last edited by Electronic M; 03-02-2017 at 03:00 PM.
Old 03-02-2017, 03:15 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
The BTs are great performers. Though the number of BTs that need a recap is unsettling for a SS product.

You can pick up a BT BAVM-z on ebay for well under $50. I recommend the fixed channel BAVM series over the AM40/60 mods. The BAVMs seem to run cooler and have a lower DOA percentage when buying un/partially-tested units....Make sure you pick one set up for a channel your set can tune, and that you want to use. The BAVM series can transmit up to a few hundred feet (about a block) if feeding a dipole ant cut to the 1/2 wave wavelength of the channel's center frequency....If you choose to go the wireless route (as I have) I recommend selecting a channel not used by any tuneable local DTV stations...If you pick a active local channel you'll interfere with those close by trying to tune the DTV station and the DTV station will interfere with you.
Definitely wireless. Then I can operate my micros around the house and my three other roundie's.

Is it best to choose a lower channel or a higher one? Any advantages either way? You are the third person to recommend BT.
Old 03-02-2017, 03:22 PM
Resident Lunatic

It really doesn't matter. Back in Michigan I had a setup that broadcast on channels 2, 4, 7, 9, and 12.

Back in the stone-age, Detroit was 2, 4, and 7 on VHF, Windsor was 9, and Flint was 12.

Last edited by benman94; 03-02-2017 at 03:39 PM.
Old 03-02-2017, 03:44 PM
M is for Memory

I've found 2 tends to have a bit less maximum range than all others, and 7 tends have the best range on VHF*...Both covered my whole house and grounds, and then some with no signal strength issues.

*It may be my antenna's...I followed Shango66's youtube video on making antennas, but I lack the IIRC VSWR meter he has so all I can do is grind the math, and cut off the same percentage of length as he did...IIRC from my college antennas elective if you want to change the effective impedance of a dipole at a frequency you can do it as a percentage of length, and it will hold for dipoles of other freqs as long as the impedance change is the same and the percentage is the same....At any rate my work is in the right ballpark to function decently, and that is what matters to me.

I've not set up a UHF BT rig, but have been wanting to get to that for a while now...

Audiokarma
Old 03-02-2017, 03:57 PM
Resident Lunatic

I loathed "traditional" E&M in my undergrad, so I'm afraid I wouldn't be of much help with the antennas. My area of study has primarily been medical imaging (MRI, PET, X-ray, CAT, etc), with brief forays into electrophysiology of cardiac tissue and a purely mathmatical treatment of disease transmission (HIV) in a population. Hyperbolic sines and cosines show up in the weirdest places...
Old 03-02-2017, 04:23 PM
VideoKarma Member

I'm into the best quality possible and don't mind spending extra to get the best. (Retired and want to enjoy the fruits of my labor, maybe 12-15 years left) I would imagine hard wired offers the best video quality, but would be an inconvience and I would loose the ability to use my micros wirelessly. I recall reading about or seeing on YouTube that some had problems with over modulation and someone recommended getting a modulator with adjustable modulation feature.

Our home is one story, 2200 sq. feet on over one third acre. I don't care about going beyond our home, but want the best quality so should I get the higher power models anyway? Will I see a degradation in video quality with wireless as compared to a direct connect to the roundie with a good quality DVD player? Edit: I guess there is not any easy way to connect a DVD player without a modulator?

Last edited by etype2; 03-02-2017 at 04:32 PM.
Old 03-02-2017, 04:34 PM
Resident Lunatic

You can build an adapter to feed the 21-CT-55 composite video from the DVD player and bypass the RF/IF sections entirely.
Old 03-02-2017, 05:20 PM
M is for Memory

BT mods over the air can produce about as good quality as commercial NTSC broadcast did....There are some pit falls to avoid in order to achieve maximum quality. Ground loop hum is a big one. My mods are powered off an isolation transformer so I don't have to worry about the ground level in all the different gear in my A/V sources racks not playing nice with the grounding in the BT cord and PS.
A good TX antenna is essential (an average RX antenna is useful). Shango66 has a good video youtube video on making a TX antenna that I can find for you later if you want. Good TX antenna placement is important (that is trial and error). In setting up the TX an 80's or newer portable TV set can be very useful in checking signal strength, quality and range.
Setting the video and audio levels for no over modulation is important...Start at zero, crank till the over mod lights come on then back off till they stay near constantly out.
Buying a modulator in good shape (or having it repaired) is important. Many have bad lytic caps and such bad power supply hum that you can ground the input terminal to the chassis and the over modulation lights will still come on.
Also be mindful that large pieces of metal or other highly RF reflective objects in your home (other than the TV) may cause multipath reception issues.
If you do all that right and use an empty channel to send all should be good with an hour or two of experimenting with the initial set up.

BT mods can be fun to play with and set up if you, do it right, and know enough about troubleshooting.

All BT modulators I've seen have RF output level control. Also, I've got AM60(strongest RF), BAVM(middle), AM40(weak) and all are capable of sending at least 100' wirelessly with a decent TX antenna.

Old 03-02-2017, 06:13 PM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks for the advice, both of you. We will try a modulator first and see how that works out. Checking them out now.

I think Tomcomm did the adaptor to bypass RF/IF. Interesting.