Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-14-2018, 12:18 AM
Tinker

Today I reached the point of testing the 21AXP22 crt with the recapped CTC 5 chassis. As many of you suspected, the crt is a useless gassy dud. It produced pretty swirling colors of pink and purple along with a few sparks in the neck.
I have a 21FJP22-a from an old Zenith set. I was going to try this crt with the ctc5 . That way I could test out the deflection and high voltage circuits.
Has any one used a newer crt in a ctc5? If you did, did you reuse the original plastic crt cover and yoke assembly? Can I remove the 21FJP22's current banding and mounts to fit the crt into the ctc5's mask?
Ed
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MVC-003S.JPG (36.0 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg MVC-005S.JPG (36.9 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg MVC-004S.JPG (37.0 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg MVC-022S.JPG (35.8 KB, 47 views)
Old 04-14-2018, 12:36 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdKozk2 View Post
Today I reached the point of testing the 21AXP22 crt with the recapped CTC 5 chassis. As many of you suspected, the crt is a useless gassy dud. It produced pretty swirling colors of pink and purple along with a few sparks in the neck.
I have a 21FJP22-a from an old Zenith set. I was going to try this crt with the ctc5 . That way I could test out the deflection and high voltage circuits.
Has any one used a newer crt in a ctc5? If you did, did you reuse the original plastic crt cover and yoke assembly? Can I remove the 21FJP22's current banding and mounts to fit the crt into the ctc5's mask?
Ed
Ed, I have a CTC-5 Deluxe chassis model. It has a 21FBP22A/21GUP22 replacement tube. Fortunately it has an RCA metal to glass tube mounting conversion kit. This allows the installation of the new tube to the existing mounting receptacles w/o using the 21AX plastic shield. The original yoke was retained.These kits are extremely hard to find and other various homemade mounting hardware has been used for installing later model 21" round tubes.

-Steve D.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN8188 (3).jpg (111.7 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN8191 (3).jpg (64.3 KB, 50 views)
Old 04-14-2018, 12:58 PM
M is for Memory

Given the existing mounts on your replacement tube ED it looks like you should be able to loosen the band, slide the brackets to the right position to bolt to the cabinet, tighten the band and be good...Don't know if the degauss shield can be kept, but it may not be needed in the mounting anyway.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4

Last edited by Electronic M; 04-14-2018 at 02:13 PM.
Old 04-14-2018, 01:47 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

Back in 2004, I used part of the mounting hardware from a CTC-7, along with some make-shift brackets, to mount a glass tube in my CTC-5. Unfortunately, all of the pics in that thread have disappeared. Of course, I saved all the CTC-5 hardware and used it later when I got a 21AX for the set.
Old 04-14-2018, 02:27 PM
VideoKarma Member

What i did on one of mine was remove the mask to get at the original mounting bolts and replaced them with longer ones. I then reused the plastic housing which slid back in place as it is only slid out about an inch and a half from the original crt position hence the longer bolts. Of course i had to take a hole saw to the side of the housing so i could hook up the anode lead. The outer magnets and hardware were removed from the mask. The good thing about this route is everything can be put back original if a good 21axp22 is found or if the old one can be rebuilt. The chassis had to be slid back an inch because two tubes were right up against the housing but this might not be an issue depending on what cabinet you have.
Audiokarma
Old 04-14-2018, 05:24 PM
Tinker

Thanks for all the replies,
Thanks for posting those pictures Steve D.
I like the approach you took Tony V.
Tom, I not sure the Zenith brackets will work with the lack of space, but I'll check.
Old TV Nut I read your old thread from a few years ago, when you put a 21axp22 back into your ctc5 .
From reading everyone's suggestions, it looks like the purity magnet assembly should be removed that surrounded the old, first.
Thanks for all the help,
Ed
Old 04-14-2018, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Thanks for all the replies,
From reading everyone's suggestions, it looks like the purity magnet assembly should be removed that surrounded the old, first.
Ed
Right - the edge magnets were totally unnecessary with the glass tube, and actually may be mechanically in the way and magnetically may make things worse.
Old 04-17-2018, 01:43 AM
Tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony V View Post
What i did on one of mine was remove the mask to get at the original mounting bolts and replaced them with longer ones. I then reused the plastic housing which slid back in place as it is only slid out about an inch and a half from the original crt position hence the longer bolts. Of course i had to take a hole saw to the side of the housing so i could hook up the anode lead. The outer magnets and hardware were removed from the mask. The good thing about this route is everything can be put back original if a good 21axp22 is found or if the old one can be rebuilt. The chassis had to be slid back an inch because two tubes were right up against the housing but this might not be an issue depending on what cabinet you have.
I ended up trying Tony 's approach to mounting a 21FJP22a crt in the CTC5.
Four longer bolts and cutting a hole for the HV lead.
I encountered two issues and was wondering if Tony had the same issues? One is that the deflection yoke is now 1.5 to 2 inches further back from where it used to be positioned. Tony do you remember if you made any changes to reset the deflection yoke?
The other is arcing that looks like lightning across the sky between the inner old plastic cover and the dag coated crt. In my case I have grounded inside and outside of the plastic cover. I also grounded the crt's dag. The charge builds up, discharges then does it again. How large is the diameter of the hole you drilled for the HV anode lead? If I enlarge the hole I already have , I'll start cutting into the plastic cover's ribbing.
A few pictures of the first tests tonight. I think all three color guns are working. When I tested this crt a few months ago the green tested the weakest.
If anyone has encountered the same issues, please feel free to chime in.
Thank ,
Ed
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MVC-001S.JPG (39.1 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg MVC-003S.JPG (39.5 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg MVC-005S.JPG (39.3 KB, 66 views)
Old 04-17-2018, 09:39 AM
Bob Galanter

I would try un-grounding the dag on the crt and let the grounded dag on the outside of the plastic shroud act as the HV smoothing capacitor.

New Web Site under developement
ME http://AntiqueTvGuy.com
Old 04-17-2018, 06:04 PM
Tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohohyodafarted View Post
I would try un-grounding the dag on the crt and let the grounded dag on the outside of the plastic shroud act as the HV smoothing capacitor.
Thanks Bob, your suggestion worked. A big improvement.
Ed
Audiokarma
Old 04-19-2018, 02:04 PM
Tinker

I ended up removing the inner 1/2 inch circular deflection coil stop. Had to cut it flush to the inside surface. This allowed enough space for the deflection coil to slide through and seat all the way against the crt neck. I drilled a hole 3-7/8 inches inward on each side from the covers' rear. The holes were kept along the same horizontal plan as the existing slots for yoke adjustment. I cut some 1/4 inch thick plastic spacers to fill the gap between inside housing and deflection coil clamp bracket. The trickiest part was placing a washer and nut on the inside end of each adjusting screw. I didn't want to drop them in the yoke or crt housing.
Two of the pictures below show the longer bolts I installed to extend the plastic housing rearward about 2 inches. I used 1/4 inch thick plastic sleeves as spacers over the four 1/4-20 hex head bolts. The upper two bolts are 4 1/2 inches long and the lower two are 4 inches long. The shorter bottom are to leave more clearance for the chassis.
These modifications made it possible to get the convergence coil assembly in the correct location on the crt neck.
I have yet to deal with purity and degaussing the screen, it's really bad. I also have to get the chroma circuits going yet. There seems to be no color, I'll try a new crystal before I get carried away.
Ed
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MVC-003S.JPG (37.3 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg MVC-005S.JPG (36.9 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg MVC-009S.JPG (37.1 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg MVC-010S.JPG (36.0 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg MVC-014S.JPG (35.3 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg MVC-025S.JPG (36.3 KB, 38 views)
Old 04-19-2018, 03:14 PM
VideoKarma Member

Excellent job so far Ed! You took the adaptation to another level than what i did and after seeing your results, i will be making a few changes on mine. This thread is going to help others who are in the same boat as we were because as far as i know there isn't much out there on this problem as far as the CTC 5 goes. I'm looking forward to seeing the end result of your restoration.
Old 04-19-2018, 04:47 PM

Quote:
...I have yet to deal with purity and degaussing the screen, it's really bad...
Ed
If you were really able to get the yoke flush up against the bell, it only needs to be pulled back a little to fix the purity. Great work so far. Onward!
Old 04-19-2018, 05:15 PM
VideoKarma Member

Ed, Quite a creative solution. If I understand your posted photo below, I assume you cut off the heads of the bolts screwed into the rear of the mask. Or did you find double ended threaded screws? Nice job.

-Steve D.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MVC-009S.JPG (37.1 KB, 36 views)

Last edited by Steve D.; 04-19-2018 at 05:22 PM.
Old 04-19-2018, 07:03 PM
Tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve D. View Post
Ed, Quite a creative solution. If I understand your posted photo below, I assume you cut off the heads of the bolts screwed into the rear of the mask. Or did you find double ended threaded screws? Nice job.

-Steve D.
In picture below, the top short bolt is the original hex head type I removed. I replaced with longer ones like below. I used die to increase the threads an extra inch or so. I could have used fully threaded new bolts also. I removed the entire plastic CRT mask to replace the bolts. They are seated in hex holes on the face of the mask. I use a little tape to keep them from falling out when re-installing the mask back in the cabinet.
I've done all the modification work with the cabinet laying face down on a quilt/ pad.
Ed
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MVC-001S.JPG (34.9 KB, 32 views)

Last edited by EdKozk2; 04-19-2018 at 07:38 PM.
Audiokarma