Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > General Off Topic Forums

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-27-2018, 10:42 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colly0410 View Post
I had a lada for 5 years in the 90's, only problem was when I left the lights on & the battery went flat so my own fault. Cost 3,333 pounds (about $5,000) brand new, sold it back to Russia for 1,600 pounds (about $2,400) & replaced it with a citroen BX = BIG mistake, it was a right heap of bilge..
When I watch a few of the British programs, it seems to be a large presence of French cars and trucks in Britain.
Old 06-28-2018, 02:27 AM
The Resident Brony

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
When I watch a few of the British programs, it seems to be a large presence of French cars and trucks in Britain.
lol I mean... they are neighbors. That'd be like finding a large amount of American cars in Mexico.
Old 06-28-2018, 10:04 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMan View Post
lol I mean... they are neighbors. That'd be like finding a large amount of American cars in Mexico.
That's because a lot of US cars are assembled in Mexico.
Old 06-28-2018, 10:44 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
Quote:
As one who has traveled extensively through eastern Europe I will vouch for MadMan here , there ARE Cars of all of the European manufacturers being used all over in the various Countries , and the E.U. can likely be cited as one of the prime reasons . When driving in France for ex , you'll see boatloads of Citrons being driven right alongside Germany's BMWs and Spain's Seat (pronounced "Sayat" and not "seat" like where you park your butt) and it's the same everywhere . Countries like Greece which has no automobile manufacturing whatsoever rely on cars from ALL of the surrounding Countries and yes all of the surrounding Country's cars are well represented on Greece's roads including Russian offerings like the previously mentioned Lada (My mother in Law in Greece owned a Lada Niva for years that gave her very dependable service) .
Old 06-29-2018, 03:37 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxhifi View Post
If you get one, post a lot of photos, I'd especially like to see the engine. I was tempted by a NIVA once, but when I read that maintenance involves manually tightening the timing chain in the tractor derived engine every 20,000km I got quite turned off.
Lots of good engine bay shots of a Canadian-spec Lada here.

I'd prefer to tighten a timing chain on a simple engine every 20K than spend a nickel for something I hate the look of that would fold like tinfoil in a moderate crash. Yeah, I'm very biased.
Quote:
Oh boy. You'd like my friend Leo. He's got the dirtiest mouth down under. I love it! The shit he says, I swear...
I recall Roop and Goose using "scag" to refer to other guys. As for The Goose (Steve Bisley), you should have heard him at the Mad Max reunion.

Seems to me the Aussies are tops for colourful metaphors.

Last edited by Jon A.; 06-29-2018 at 04:03 PM.
Audiokarma
Old 06-29-2018, 07:15 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon A. View Post

I'd prefer to tighten a timing chain on a simple engine every 20K than spend a nickel for something I hate the look of that would fold like tinfoil in a moderate crash. Yeah, I'm very biased.

I recall Roop and Goose using "scag" to refer to other guys. As for The Goose (Steve Bisley), you should have heard him at the Mad Max reunion.

Well IIRC OZ did start out as a Brittish penal colony...It only makes sense that it would develop a rich tapestry of new cuss words and slang...

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 06-29-2018, 08:13 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:

Speaking about the cars that fold like tinfoil, I'm amazed that many of the people survive in cars like this.
I watch the local news every night and they show the stolen cars that are crashed and the people are able to walk away with minor injuries.
Many times, it's hard to tell what kind of car it started out to be. They generally are involved in a high speed chase.
Old 07-21-2018, 09:32 PM
Slave to 1 Cat

Quote:
No, that's the reputation of the Fiat 124 that the first Ladas were based on. Their rarity today is mostly the fault of our throwaway society.

Anyone with an arbitrary hatred for any particular car will call it a rustbucket.
True, my step brother had a 1980 Mustang, he calls it, "The 'Rustang.'"