Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-28-2018, 07:12 PM
VideoKarma Member

What make/model TV set is this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-G09f_58vE

What make/model is this?
Old 06-28-2018, 07:53 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyNYC View Post
It's kind of hard to tell!
According to the date, it must've been a CTC12, but not an RCA. The knobs look a bit different, but the secondary controls are in the right spot, plus no UHF. Could be an Emerson, Olympic or a private label set.
Old 06-28-2018, 08:08 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
It's kind of hard to tell!
According to the date, it must've been a CTC12, but not an RCA. The knobs look a bit different, but the secondary controls are in the right spot, plus no UHF. Could be an Emerson, Olympic or a private label set.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDDzv2PyqrI

go to 2 mins into this video. It's the closest footage I have of the set and may help in identifying it. Note also colors are off in both films due to it being 8mm film. Browns are less vibrant and such, whites are a little off white, reds are rendered as brown.
Old 06-28-2018, 10:50 PM
M is for Memory

For a moment there on the second video I thought "holey moley Doug really does have a time machine and went back to the 60's!"

It definitely is an RCA chassis design. It looks like it uses a small VHF knob with a thin lighted window above it for display of tuned channel, and it looks like they may have fitted the place for the UHF tuner with one of those "UHF ready" badges to cover the hole for the unpopulated knob shaft.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 06-28-2018, 11:14 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
For a moment there on the second video I thought "holey moley Doug really does have a time machine and went back to the 60's!"

It definitely is an RCA chassis design. It looks like it uses a small VHF knob with a thin lighted window above it for display of tuned channel, and it looks like they may have fitted the place for the UHF tuner with one of those "UHF ready" badges to cover the hole for the unpopulated knob shaft.
Do you think it was a color set? Also, how new would this set have been in 1962? How much would it have run?

Also, what is a UHF tuner, and what was a UHF ready badge? What did it do?

My grandparents' two earlier TVs. First pic circa '54, second late 50s:

Last edited by TonyNYC; 06-28-2018 at 11:19 PM.
Audiokarma
Old 06-29-2018, 01:04 AM
<----Zenith C845

Quote:
Do you think it was a color set? Also, how new would this set have been in 1962? How much would it have run?

The UHF tuner in TVs manufactured after April 1964 (and in some sets of the 1950s and '60s, which were sold in UHF-only areas such as Youngstown, Ohio, Fort Wayne, Indiana, et al.) covered the then-new UHF television spectrum, 470-890 MHz, long before digital television (DTV).

The UHF-ready badge was actually a knockout plug on the front panels of TVs made before '64. This badge covered a hole through which the tuning shaft of an optional UHF tuner protruded. Most TVs which were manufactured prior to April '64 had this badge; at the time, optional conversion kits, containing a UHF tuner and associated components, were available to retrofit these televisions for UHF reception if and when UHF television stations arrived in the area in which the set was to be used. Of course, UHF converters (devices which converted incoming UHF TV signals to VHF channels 5 or 6) could also be used with these sets.

Some Zenith TVs of the mid-1960s had provisions for up to six optional UHF tuner strips, to be installed in the VHF tuner's turret in place of unused VHF channels; some sets also had a factory-installed UHF tuner which normally eliminated the need for UHF strips. However, Zenith TVs with Space Command remote control used the UHF strips to provide remote tuning of one to six UHF channels, depending on how many such strips were installed in the tuner.

Your grandparents' second TV is a Zenith from the early 1950s. However, I am not sure if the tuner used in these sets could have used optional UHF channel strips, since it may not have been a conventional VHF turret tuner. For this set, an external UHF converter would need to be used to receive UHF channels, if the area in which the set was being used had such channels (not all areas had UHF TV until the 1970s or, in some cases, as late as the '80s). The VHF tuner would be set to channel 5 or 6, depending on which of these channels was not being used by local TV stations, to receive the output of the converter. Because channels 5 and 6 were never assigned in the same city, one or the other of these channels was always vacant in every city in the US, and was the channel to which the VHF tuner would be set for UHF reception. In your area (New York City), for example, you would turn your TV's VHF channel selector to channel 6 to get the output of the UHF converter. The TV's own tuner would operate normally for reception of VHF stations; the UHF converter did not affect the operation of the VHF tuner at all.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.
Old 06-29-2018, 10:08 AM
VideoKarma Member

Jeff:
Those sets are both Admirals!
The first is a 16" round B/W CA 1951, with the famous control cover door that always seemed to be broken off.
The second is a 1954 Admiral "Super Cascode" which might of had UHF.
Both had Standard Coil tuners, where UHF strips were readily available.
Old 06-29-2018, 10:37 AM
M is for Memory

Quote:

Yeah, it was a color set, no doubt. In 1962 that set would have been brand new or not made yet (I don't have the exact date the CTC-12 chassis rolled out). The secondary controls of the style seen in the video are only seen on the CTC-12, CTC-15 and some CTC-16 sets. The 15 came out about 1964 so if your dates are right it had to be an RCA CTC-12 or a clone made for another brand*... Given they opted for a wood cabinet and lighted tuner instead of a bare-bones loss leader metal cabinet set it probably cost a good bit (maybe north of $600). I was not alive then so my understanding of new price of these is vague. Search around online for ads/brochures for color sets in comparable cabinets from around that time to get a better idea.

The two earlier sets pictured are Admiral brand (both B&W). The top one I've seen a few admirals with that control panel, the bottom one the 'pencil box' door seems to have the right number of letters (and enough look to be the right letters) to spell Admiral...Zeniths had a similar layout back then, but so did several other brands.

*Given the earlier two sets are both Admiral I think it is likely the color set is Admiral too. Prior to 1963 IIRC Admiral was buying assembled color chassis from RCA to fit in their cabinets (as were most makers offering color before then and a good number after). In 1963 RCA stopped making chassis for other makers but instead opted to license their chassis designs and force the other makers to build it themselves...Admiral and some other makes decided around that time that if they had to build color chassis they might as well engineer their own unique chassis too, and so stopped using any RCA designs after that.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 06-29-2018, 10:49 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDDzv2PyqrI

go to 2 mins into this video. It's the closest footage I have of the set and may help in identifying it. Note also colors are off in both films due to it being 8mm film. Browns are less vibrant and such, whites are a little off white, reds are rendered as brown.
The set could an Admiral as well!
Admiral built their own chassis starting the '64 model year, before that they bought Complete RCA chassis.
First Communion was a very important occasion for my family as well. It looks like an Italian family, smallish apartment plus lots of great food and plenty of wine.
Old 06-29-2018, 11:07 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
The two earlier sets pictured are Admiral brand (both B&W). The top one I've seen a few admirals with that control panel, the bottom one the 'pencil box' door seems to have the right number of letters (and enough look to be the right letters) to spell Admiral...Zeniths had a similar layout back then, but so did several other brands.
I'm surprised to see the pencil box door missing so early in the life of the earlier (1950) Admiral... as we find them today, the door is usually gone, but apparently the doors were taken off or broke off when the sets were fairly new.

Intact one from tv history site:

http://www.tvhistory.tv/1950-Admiral-26X56A-16in.jpg

21 (24?) inch admiral, similar to second set pictured:

http://www.tvhistory.tv/1953-Admiral-228DX16.JPG

21 inch table model:

http://www.tvhistory.tv/1954-Admiral-T2236Z.JPG

jr

Last edited by jr_tech; 06-29-2018 at 11:38 AM. Reason: added another pix
Audiokarma
Old 06-29-2018, 04:51 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_tech View Post
I'm surprised to see the pencil box door missing so early in the life of the earlier (1950) Admiral... as we find them today, the door is usually gone, but apparently the doors were taken off or broke off when the sets were fairly new.
Take it from someone who has been alive long enough to remember when such sets were in regular use ;

Even when only a few years old TVs of that time weren't anything close to today's "set it and forget it" affair , and the controls had to be regularly tweaked as the set ran to keep things on track . The hidden controls thing may have looked all futuristic and all , but weren't very practical and most folks quickly tired of opening and closing that damned little door every time the picture needed to be made to stop rolling (the #1 drift adjustment) or to adjust brightness & contrast as it seemed each different TV show was filmed in different enough of locations to require setting the picture right when changing channels .

Last edited by init4fun; 06-29-2018 at 07:04 PM. Reason: remove unneeded point
Old 06-29-2018, 05:24 PM
VideoKarma Member

So any verdict on what the set in my 62 home movies was? I am CERTAIN the first video is May 1962 because it depicts my mom's communion party and I have her communion record and the film was shot on 5/19/1962. So the TV was produced before May 62. The question is the make/model and I am curious because I wanna know how new it was/how much it might've cost.

Also yes my family is Italian but never any plastic on the furniture. I love my grandparent's mid century modern home decor you can see in the video...Very classy IMO.
Old 06-29-2018, 07:29 PM
VideoKarma Member

It looks like an RCA CTC12 to me, but the 12 is listed as a 1963 model. Mid year introduction, perhaps, as the CTC11 is listed as 1961.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AYA_A7o5epY

Certainly was quite new when the film was made.

jr
Old 07-18-2018, 07:33 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hmm. Any other help?
Old 07-19-2018, 03:59 PM
Motorola Minion

And.. the date of that video could be wrong. I agree its a CTC12, first one probably introduced in October of 62
Audiokarma