Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-21-2018, 05:08 PM
VideoKarma Member

DaveA's TV-123 was mine at one time, it has an interesting history. It was a bear to restore almost as hard as the Philco prototype color set I had. At least there was documentation available for the TV-123.
If you want to see the restoration I did on the 123 when I first got it and closeup pictures of the chassis and cabinet and picture go here:

http://www.myvintagetv.com/philco_tv123.htm

Chuck

Learn from the mistakes of others -
You can't live long enough to make them all yourself.
Old 08-21-2018, 10:15 PM
VideoKarma Member

Chuck, I remember seeing your 123 page-it was one of the reasons I wanted one of my own. I know I'll learn from you wrote.

Last night I dug out a big box up in the attic full of yokes; much to my surprise there is a used 21" color yoke (RCA) from the 60's! I thought I'd gotten rid of all the spares I had. It does appear that it could be a good donor for the rear plastic though I wonder if it might be close enough electrically to use the entire unit? That will come way down the road. For practice I've been recapping the Philco-built radio out of my Packard. It's percentage of Black Beauties was the same!
Old 08-21-2018, 10:41 PM
VideoKarma Member

I'm A little confused. It looks like this chassis has almost all original parts. The photos of the picture from your sight look great. If this is the same set, how did it perform so well for you?
Old 08-24-2018, 10:42 PM
VideoKarma Member

An update: I finished the radio I was working on so last night I drug the 123 chassis in and hoisted it up on the bench-no small feat! Tonight I did some cleaning and got a start on the long recapping job. Some observations:
1) I found the petrified remains of a mouse at the bottom corner, right up against the AC input Before it expired it ate about a third of a wax-paper capacitor (one of the few in this set). The good news is it didn't make too much of a mess.
2) This set uses the odd 6M3 damper with a top cap; Nick installed one, NOS, but where was the top lead? I was concerned thinking a wire might have been ripped from the flyback. Well, it turns out that somebody previously wired the socket for another tube type and they just cut the lead short and soldered it where needed. It should be fairly simple to rewire this back to where it was.
3) This uses a concentric horiz.center/vert.center control (2 watt/4 watt, 100 ohm each with 45 ohm center tap on the vertical). It was partially loose as found and trying to turn both pots tells me that both have turned to Crispy Critters inside. Hopefully the recap will take care of the cause; finding a decent replacement could be a challenge. Sams only lists the Philco pn (33-5546-66) no listing at Playthings of the Past. Most likely I'll just have to get creative.

Elsewhere under the chassis I found a small electrolytic with one lead disconnected. Adventures lie ahead! More photos soon.
Old 08-26-2018, 08:38 AM
VideoKarma Member

Maybe try looking looking for that dual pot at Surplus Sales of Nebraska. I found an nos focus pot for my 1950 Dumont there.
Audiokarma
Old 08-26-2018, 09:14 PM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks for the tip on Surplus Sales of Nebraska; while they didn't list what I needed I did bookmark their page for future use.

I'm posting a couple more photos. So far, since I took this photo, I've shoehorned a few new electrolytics under there. They didn't waste any space when they built these.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1134.jpg (80.3 KB, 127 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1136.jpg (123.6 KB, 113 views)
Old 08-27-2018, 10:43 AM
M is for Memory

Changing the paper caps on most Philcos of the era opens up space...I'd be tempted to do that first to make room for the lytics, or restuff the lytics if I were in your shoes.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 09-05-2018, 10:32 PM
VideoKarma Member

Another update: I have most of the electrolytics replaced & a handful of the Black Beauties. The hardest part of the recapping is over. I took a little break this weekend & brought the cabinet in from the shed; it needed some bracing replaced in the back and a good vacuuming. I then treated it to some Howard's Restor-a-Finish which I quickly learned is an outstanding product. I never thought this set would come out so well. I have some minor touch-up to do and then a good coat of wax-it won't be perfect by any means but it will be better than half my existing collection!

Then I decided to mount the crt. I'd been dreading this since it was all apart (the crt, mounting frame including yoke, the 2-piece rubber insulator and the purity magnet ring). I wasn't the one who took it apart which made it that much more of a challenge but it actually came together really well. At one point, while tightening one of the retaining clamps for the mounting frame, the screw wasn't in far enough to grab and it let go with a BANG! Made my heart skip a beat-I was very well aware of the damage that could occur to my ego, my wallet and my body, should I mess up while tightening things down!

So, it's starting to look like a TV again. I'll really have to fight off the urge to try a power-up prior to finishing the recap. I know, though, that the chances of much of the circuit working with all those Black Beauties in place is extremely slim. Anyway, more updates to come.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thumbnail.jpg (71.2 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg thumbnail (2).jpg (49.0 KB, 101 views)
Old 09-07-2018, 02:46 PM
Motorola Minion

What a fine looking unique color set! I wonder why Philco, Sylvania, Silvertone, Admiral , Motorola, PB and others took about 4 years off making color sets after introducing their 1957 models???

Just think of all the models that could have been, even if CTC7-10 RCA clones...
Old 09-07-2018, 04:35 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavGoodlin View Post
What a fine looking unique color set! I wonder why Philco, Sylvania, Silvertone, Admiral , Motorola, PB and others took about 4 years off making color sets after introducing their 1957 models???

Just think of all the models that could have been, even if CTC7-10 RCA clones...
Dave,

All those manufacturers who followed RCA Victor in it's big 1956-57 push to market color tv failed miserably. Even giant RCA, who sold the majority of color sets in this period, was very disappointed. The prices were to high and the color programming was to little to justify purchasing this luxury item. Pretty much only RCA with it's NBC network continued to offer color sets & programming in any significant way. In 1962 some of these companies choose to re-enter the color tv market. It still took another 3 or 4 years for the average buyer to come round.

-Steve D.
Audiokarma
Old 09-07-2018, 06:01 PM
M is for Memory

Also there was a recession around 1958. That probably did not help either.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 09-07-2018, 07:41 PM
<----Zenith C845

[QUOTE=bgadow;3203700]Another update: I have most of the electrolytics replaced & a handful of the Black Beauties. The hardest part of the recapping is over. I took a little break this weekend & brought the cabinet in from the shed; it needed some bracing replaced in the back and a good vacuuming. I then treated it to some Howard's Restor-a-Finish which I quickly learned is an outstanding product. I never thought this set would come out so well. I have some minor touch-up to do and then a good coat of wax-it won't be perfect by any means but it will be better than half my existing collection!

Then I decided to mount the crt. I'd been dreading this since it was all apart (the crt, mounting frame including yoke, the 2-piece rubber insulator and the purity magnet ring). I wasn't the one who took it apart which made it that much more of a challenge but it actually came together really well. At one point, while tightening one of the retaining clamps for the mounting frame, the screw wasn't in far enough to grab and it let go with a BANG! Made my heart skip a beat-I was very well aware of the damage that could occur to my ego, my wallet and my body, should I mess up while tightening things down!

So, it's starting to look like a TV again. I'll really have to fight off the urge to try a power-up prior to finishing the recap. I know, though, that the chances of much of the circuit working with all those Black Beauties in place is extremely slim. Anyway, more updates to come.[/QUOTE

Bryan, I hope that "BANG" you heard had nothing to do with the CRT. Where did the noise originate? My best guess is an HV arc from the CRT bell to ground.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.
Old 09-08-2018, 01:18 PM
Workin' Late Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffhs View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgadow View Post
At one point, while tightening one of the retaining clamps for the mounting frame, the screw wasn't in far enough to grab and it let go with a BANG!
Bryan, I hope that "BANG" you heard had nothing to do with the CRT. Where did the noise originate? My best guess is an HV arc from the CRT bell to ground.
?..
Old 09-09-2018, 09:46 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Kuehn View Post
?..
I don't think the CRT was used since the set was disassembled. They don't hold a charge that long.
It was probably a plastic insulator or other part.
Old 09-09-2018, 10:12 AM
Workin' Late Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
I don't think the CRT was used since the set was disassembled. They don't hold a charge that long.
It was probably a plastic insulator or other part.
I was just pointing out that Bryan specifically stated that "At one point, while tightening one of the retaining clamps for the mounting frame, the screw wasn't in far enough to grab and it let go with a BANG!."
Audiokarma