Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > The Amateur Radio Spot

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-13-2015, 02:50 AM
<----Zenith C845

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowhereMan 1966 View Post
I have a Bao Feng UV-82L and I like it. Not a bad little radio for $50. I'd love to have the standard HT's but they cost too much for a person of limited means such as myself. They are a pain in the butt to program manually though so I suggest triple checking your programming, I did because I almost fired up on a military frequency. That in mind, they are good radios it seems. They also double as a scanner too, although they are slow but if you just have that to lug around, it does the job.
I wonder why your new Baofeng HT is so difficult to program. It shouldn't be, unless it cannot be programmed without a computer. Yours sounds like that. I just looked at Baofeng's web site and found that the UX-82L can be programmed using a USB cable and any Windows computer, but I don't see why it is so difficult to program manually, or why it would or should be possible to transmit with the UX-82L on anything other than amateur frequencies; after all, most HTs are set up so they absolutely cannot transmit outside the amateur bands (VHF and UHF in the case of the UX-82 series).

That you almost transmitted on a military frequency with your UX-82L HT seems incredible. The microprocessor which controls the VFO in all modern HTs, as I said, is programmed to disable the transmit function on any frequency above or below the U. S. 2-meter and UHF amateur bands. Was your particular version of the UX-82L originally designed as an export model? This is the only way I can see this radio being able to transmit anywhere outside the U. S. ham bands.

BTW, it's good seeing your posts here on VK again. I wondered what happened to you since your last one, although I suppose with moving and all you were quite busy. I hope all is well with you and your two cats now, though.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.