Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Movies, shows, & programs

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-18-2005, 05:46 PM
-don't go round hungry-

The Island

What a trip. . . Great effects. . . awesome. . . Kinda slow to get going but man did it finish with a bang. . . WOW!

Anyone else??
Old 12-18-2005, 05:49 PM
Administrator

Just saw it this weekend and I agree, it was great.

The Freeway chase sequence was incredible, the only weak point was the motorcycles, I thought they were a bit too advanced for the year 2019 (so were other things but that's a minor gripe).
The "2009" Caddy was awesome!
Old 12-19-2005, 04:45 AM
-don't go round hungry-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric H
Just saw it this weekend and I agree, it was great.

The Freeway chase sequence was incredible, the only weak point was the motorcycles, I thought they were a bit too advanced for the year 2019 (so were other things but that's a minor gripe).
The "2009" Caddy was awesome!
During the motorcycle chase scene when he said he didn't know how he knew how to operate the thing my wife said "no surprise here. . .he learned when he was a jedi knight". . . she was dead serious. . .

The one big scene when they fell from the building logo was trippie. . . it helped when the black man said Jesus must love you. . .

Loved the train wheels. . .

Effects are comming strong now days. . . They are getting so realistic its great. Look for lots of remakes with up to date effects. . .

I also watched "Dukes" and "Fantastic 4" both had decent effects especially jumping the General Lee up onto a busy interstate. . .trippie. . .
Old 12-19-2005, 08:07 AM
THOR

I love Michael Bay movies! The Island is in my Netflix Queue
Old 12-19-2005, 11:55 AM
Charivari

I've held off watching this flick as I'm not too fond of movies that rip off ideas without giving credit. From what I could tell, this looked like an uncredited remake of a rather bad '70s film P.A.R.T.S.: The Clonus Horror. Why anyone would want to remake that is beyond me, but the similarities are too much (again, so far as I can tell.) Anyone unfortunate enough to see this earlier film and The Island who can comment on this? I may still rent this to see, but I'd like to know first.

- JP
Audiokarma
Old 12-19-2005, 06:58 PM
-don't go round hungry-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charivari
I've held off watching this flick as I'm not too fond of movies that rip off ideas without giving credit. From what I could tell, this looked like an uncredited remake of a rather bad '70s film P.A.R.T.S.: The Clonus Horror. Why anyone would want to remake that is beyond me, but the similarities are too much (again, so far as I can tell.) Anyone unfortunate enough to see this earlier film and The Island who can comment on this? I may still rent this to see, but I'd like to know first.

- JP
I don't let this stuff bother me. . . I could care less who made it before or what remake it might be. If it interests me I watch it and enjoy it if I like it and if not then I wont watch it again. Life is too short to worry about this stuff. . . In my mind there are very few original movies as it is. I think just about everything made is taken from someone or something. . .

That said "The Island" is one hell of a movie. A complete surprise to me. . . Caught me totally by surprise.
Old 12-19-2005, 07:20 PM
Charivari

Alright, I'll consider checking it out, if only for the visual appeal of Scarlett Johansson.

- JP
Old 12-19-2005, 10:42 PM
See me,touch me,Thiel me

I agree some of the action scenes were well done- the train axles and wheels especially. I felt the acting was well executed too- Ewan McGregor, Scarlett Johansson, Steve Buscemi and a few others I'm not as familiar with all did an excellent job. I really didn't like the pacing of the film or the ending, however, and found way too many holes and implausabilities in the story. Enough to distract me and take away from the enjoyment of the film. I caught Fantastic Four and felt the same way (good acting and effects, but otherwise rushed and ill-paced). However, Batman Begins, I felt, was a great flick- well balanced, good acting, nice pacing, and a tight storyline. A bonus- the sound mixing was well done- a pleasure to listen to through surround sound.
What you got back home, little sister, to play your fuzzy warbles on? I bet you got, say, pitiful, portable picnic players. Come with uncle and hear all proper! Hear angels' trumpets and devils' trombones. You are invited!
Old 01-03-2006, 10:25 AM
Livin' in vinyl heaven...

Decent movie, saw it last night. I fully understand that when you watch a sci fi or fantasy flick, you have to "suspend disbelief" just a bit. The two scenes which crapped the movie a bit for me were:
  • The "falling from the skyscaper riding the logo/sign" scene. C'mon, both walked away from a fall like that with barely a scrape? Not to mention that the sign was hit by the rotating blades of an exploding helicopter during the fall. Sheesh!
  • Scarlett Johansen is in the operating room after being captured. She's brought into a secure facility, and is being prepped for surgury, but no one finds out that she's carrying a gun? Puh-leeease!
Old 10-02-2017, 03:32 AM
Analogue is Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charivari
I've held off watching this flick as I'm not too fond of movies that rip off ideas without giving credit..
Ya...... I have seen this but I muchly prefer the original 1980 film.... MUCH BETTER!!!
Audiokarma
Old 10-02-2017, 09:01 AM
M is for Memory

Holey zombie thread dude! You seriously dug up a nearly 12 year old thread?...Where were you in 2006, and what made you not comment then, but comment now?

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 10-02-2017, 10:09 AM
VideoKarma Member

Well, zombies are in now...

Chip
Old 10-02-2017, 11:38 PM
The Resident Brony

Dude's on a necroposting spree!

+1 zombies are cool
Old 10-03-2017, 02:38 AM
Analogue is Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M
Holey zombie thread dude! You seriously dug up a nearly 12 year old thread?...Where were you in 2006, and what made you not comment then, but comment now?
I dunno,I think I mi$$ed this thread!

Ah man!!
Old 10-03-2017, 08:35 AM
Administrator

I posted on it but I can't remember this at all now.
Audiokarma