Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Rectangular Screen Tube Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-26-2015, 09:22 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIPS View Post
Well there's a set that would go with my VCR/closed captioner/laserdisc/Atari 2600 stack. ...
Nova Scotia is a bit far, eh?
Road trip!

Actually, I've never driven that kind of distance, I always flew.
Old 02-26-2015, 09:27 PM
VideoKarma Member

Great!! it's getting a home..
Old 02-26-2015, 09:54 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon A. View Post
I don't see a channel display on the '79 Maggie. I'm pretty sure the Star System was gone by that time. I wonder if it has the OSD whose channel numbers shrink and disappear. That and I wonder if the CRT is delta or inline.

I have a CRT from a junk set that the Star System consoles came with. I hope that one's healthy, got to wait for my tester to get here to find out.
It has the channel display I think the flash drowned it out it is not a star system.
Old 02-27-2015, 09:54 AM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by damen View Post
It has the channel display I think the flash drowned it out it is not a star system.
Touch-Tune set in that case. Still uses an ultrasonic remote, which I have at least three of.
Old 02-27-2015, 11:42 AM
VideoKarma Member

Pretty sure the 79 will be a T809 or t815, in-line tube like a zenith tri-potential WILL have a radionic 4-lead critical cap !!!

I had one as a daily driver for about 8 years...till a CTC 169 replaced it. Actually mine was a MICRO tune--you did NOT have to "pre tune " EVERY channel like the touch tune sets--and it did NOT need an alkaline battery to hold memory either. Put a rebuilt tube in it--STILL looked good--when I gave it to some idiot in the summer of 98...supposedly he got mad at his girlfriend and kicked the screen in or such I heard later.

I THINK..25VEUP22..
Audiokarma
Old 02-27-2015, 11:44 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon A. View Post
Touch-Tune set in that case. Still uses an ultrasonic remote, which I have at least three of.
I did not get the remote but it is a remote set. Since I am not keeping it I don't need one. Its been on craigslist for 3 days with no hits. I fireguard someone would want that fancy cabinet if not the whole TV it makes a nice sharp picture.
Old 02-27-2015, 03:26 PM
M is for Memory

If it is a deltagun set and you scrap it, be sure to SAVE the CRT.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 02-27-2015, 04:37 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by damen View Post
I did not get the remote but it is a remote set. Since I am not keeping it I don't need one. Its been on craigslist for 3 days with no hits. I fireguard someone would want that fancy cabinet if not the whole TV it makes a nice sharp picture.
Almost every possible taker would only want the cabinet. Putting up just one photo and with the doors closed is likely to kill that particular piece of history faster.
Old 03-02-2015, 12:31 PM
Motorola Minion

I had a Magnavox Touch tune like that but it was a T995 (the vertical chassis) and dated Sept. 1977, with the Ft.Wayne address for Magnavox.

The original CRT's blue gun was un-restorable after only 8 years, so I bought a new Magnachrome 25VCZP22 (1985) for it and it was my main set until 2004!

If it was made post 1979, its likely to have a T815 IIRC.
Old 03-02-2015, 06:11 PM
VideoKarma Member

1979 was the year that they changed to inline tubes as well.
Audiokarma
Old 03-03-2015, 01:22 AM
VideoKarma Member

You have a nice '66 LeSabre! Looks like a 400 model. I have a similar '65 Wildcat but mine has two extra doors... Well, I got it for free so I can't complain!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF5523L.jpg (119.9 KB, 22 views)
Old 03-03-2015, 01:52 AM
M is for Memory

Wow, you got THAT for free?

Old 03-03-2015, 03:33 AM
VideoKarma Member

Well I didn't pay for it but...
In 1992, when I was 15, I went to see this car that was advertised at $1000 (I badly wanted a '65-'66 LeSabre or Wildcat hardtop coupe since I was a kid!) and it was sitting on wood blocks and in such a poor shape that I ended buying a '68 Wildcat 4 door hardtop in slightly better shape that I managed to drive for 8 years despite being priced much less ($630 Canadian)!
In 2003, the '65 Wildcat reappeared for sale. Someone had done some work to it but it still needed a lot! A friend of mine who also likes big cars (we both have '67 Rivieras) was laughing at me because I was driving a $500 '74 LeSabre coupe as a winter beater. Soon after, he had two other expensive problems with his 9 years old Saab 900 and he decided to get something more simple! When he told me that he saw a '65 Wildcat for sale in a small town near where I live, I told him that I had a good look at that car 11 years before and I suggested that he stays away from it as it was certainly a lot worse than my $500 beater! He didn't listen to me and I think he even paid $1600 for a car that was in really bad shape.

It was barely driveable when he got it so I fixed it, repainted it to it's original color (it was light green) and let him drive another of my old beaters for a month while I was working on making his new buy roadworthy! He got it in late January of 2004 and drove it to commute to his job in the heavy traffic in Montreal for 3 months. One day, tired of spending $200 in gas per week, he drove it in my driveway with the brake pedal to the floor, a leaking radiator and a bad water pump and he told me it was now mine! I had to fix a few more things and order fabric from SMS to have the seats and door panels redone as it was in very poor shape, there was no headliner, the dash pad was cracked, etc...
I drove it about 30,000 miles since I got it 11 years ago. I would never have thought that possible when I first saw it 22 years ago!

Here are a few pictures of it in 2003-2004 before and after I fixed and repainted it for my friend (it wasn't mine then but the ugly beige '74 LeSabre was!)... The last picture shows it years later with the two other Buicks I currently own.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wildcat Front.JPG (34.5 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg Wildcat rear.JPG (27.6 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1852.JPG (43.5 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1847.JPG (39.7 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF3793LL.jpg (119.0 KB, 31 views)

Last edited by Phil R; 03-03-2015 at 03:39 AM.
Old 03-03-2015, 10:45 AM
M is for Memory

Interesting story.

Reminds me of how I bought my first tube TV at a radio meet. I kept seeing it and having it disappear before I could buy it (it was dirt cheap the last time or 2), and eventually several meets later it became mine.

You ought to buy that friend a nice meal, or some alcohol to thank them for giving it to you....

Old 03-03-2015, 09:28 PM
Motorola Minion

That belongs in the "things with motors" forum, its too good to hide it here.
Being a Pontiac nut, a nice Buick or Oldsmobile thread would be welcome reading
Audiokarma