Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Things with Motors

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-15-2018, 01:33 PM
I love old stuff

Can a car have 2 fuel injectors? Plantary gearbox with manula transmision.

Can a car have 2 fuel injectors and the owner able too chose which one to work? Or can it have a carburetor or an injector and you too choose which sistem to use?

And can you have planetary gerabox (like at an automatic geraboxes) with manual transmision?
Old 07-15-2018, 04:56 PM
Gimpus Stereophilus!

No choice of carburetor or fuel injection. One or the other.
Old 07-15-2018, 06:13 PM
M is for Memory

There are throttle body injection systems that you can install on to a carburated vehicle in place of the carb...I suppose one could probably hybrid that tech with a carb if they had the tools, knowledge and tried hard enough, but why would anyone want to?

The second there is technically something like...Some electronically controlled automatics actually allow the driver to manually increment/decrement the gear. A friend had a 90's Honda Prelude with such a shifter. When in drive you could nudge the shifter back and forth between +/- marks to bump the gear up or down...No clutch, and no direct jumps from say second to fourth, but still fun/scary to ride in.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4

Last edited by Electronic M; 07-15-2018 at 06:19 PM.
Old 07-15-2018, 06:47 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

The Ford Model T had a manual planetary transmission.
http://www.modeltcentral.com/transmi...animation.html
Old 07-15-2018, 09:38 PM
VideoKarma Member

There have been engines with dual ignition systems; I've seen it mostly on very old fire engines and I think it was common on aircraft engines-maybe still used on piston aircraft engines. These could have both distributor and magneto ignition. So, if you really wanted to...you could get a dual-carb intake manifold and put a carb in one end and a throttle body injection unit in the other. As reliable as "modern" injection units are (and I'm counting anything made back to the 1980's) I would think the carb would be the weaker link as to dependability.
Old 07-16-2018, 07:48 AM
Procrastination Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_tv_nut View Post
The Ford Model T had a manual planetary transmission.[/url]
You beat me to it!

Our now gone Passat had VW's direct shift gearbox... basically a manual transmission with all the odd gears on one shaft / clutch, and the even gears on another shaft / clutch, with a computer running the show.

What that means is that while you're cruising along in 3rd, the computer tries to predict what you're going to do next, and will shift the even gears into 2nd or 4th - while the driving gear set is still in 3rd. Then when it comes time to "shift" it just swaps the clutches. It makes for a very fast, very smooth change under full load.

However, in stop and go traffic, it's "un smooth" at best No torque converter, just the computer operating / slipping the clutches. They're wet clutches at least. That car offered TipTronic, from either the console shifter or paddles on the steering wheel you can + / - to get the gear you want.

The E-CVT in my Cadillac is based around a planetary gearset.

-J
Old 07-16-2018, 10:45 AM
I love old stuff

For the command of the gearbox I thought of the next system: colum shifter with continius move (just moving up an down, except when you want to go into neutral or reverse - you need to pull the lever) that moves a stiarcase like wheel that pushes rods (or let them go - they have springs for returning into position).
Old 03-03-2019, 06:32 PM
Gimpus Stereophilus!

A Volvo 960 has 6 fuel injectors, one to a cylinder (2.9 straight six)
Old 03-03-2019, 07:22 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Henry Ford LOVED planetary trannies-He 1st used one on his 1st "Big, luxurious" car, the 1905-07 Model K, & then on the T model. They were simple & sturdy, & relatively easy to operate, which was likely why Henry was so fond of them. And I think most of the early automatics were at least partially based on planetaries. Neat story-A bud of mine & I were cruising around in the countryside one night, LONG ago, we started up this one rather large mountain/hill. Tom sez, "I'm gonna tell you one of the deepest, darkest secrets of my family, if you promise NEVER to tell..." Oh,boy, he's gonna finally own up tobeing Hitler's unknown kid, I think, so I swear on my Mama's life that'll I'll NEVER breathe a word. Shit, I couldn't WAIT to spill this 'Un, if it was as good as Tomas claimed... So he sez-"My Dad drove a T-Model up this hill BACKWARDS... Ain't THAT Somethin' ?!?" I looked at him, & blinked ? Whatdaphuk is THIS Shyte? You forget I know a LOT about T models, Ol' Sport.... There are 2 reasons he did that. One the Gas Tank in a T was under the seat, there was no fuel pump, you had to keep the seat/gas tank higher than the motor, or it would stall, & second, Ts had a planetary transmission that ran w/leather/fabric bands. They weren't very long lasting, you'd run in reverse a lot to equalize wear & maybe get a little more life outta them, 'cause changing 'em out was a dirty, all day mess... Tom kinda mumbled, I'd just took all the wind outta his sails, & he sulked the rest of that evening. Never did ask his dad, Hap, about that story, but I wish now I had. Hap's dad was one of the judges at Nuremberg, he was sort of a Big Shot..Tom is a Lawyer in Birmingham, but as I tease him,havin' HIM as a lawyer would be like "Breakin' IN Jail..." (Grin)
Old 03-04-2019, 09:42 PM
The Resident Brony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telecolor 3007 View Post
For the command of the gearbox I thought of the next system: colum shifter with continius move (just moving up an down, except when you want to go into neutral or reverse - you need to pull the lever) that moves a stiarcase like wheel that pushes rods (or let them go - they have springs for returning into position).
It's actually a very common thing in performance cars to install a typical automatic transmission, but without installing the electronic control at all. They will have a modified valve body that does not do anything automatically, but instead will just engage whatever gear is indicated by the shift lever. The shifter will go like this: 1 2 3 4 N R P. Common for drag racers and stuff like that (even though an actual automatic is better for time). This is pretty much what you're describing, right?

As for two injectors... the last cars that only had TWO injectors were old Chevy's with throttle body injection. Most cars today have one injector for each cylinder. However, because direct injection has become popular (as it has many advantages), it is only very recently started becoming a thing for manufacturers to have a set of direct injectors, and then ANOTHER set of port injectors. Because direct injection actually has a lot shortcomings. So many new cars will be having (technically) 2 injectors per cylinder.

In theory, if you wanted a car to have two fuel systems and be able to use either at the flip of a switch, you could do it. But you know, with a lot of engineering and fabricating. Why on earth would you even want two liquid fuel systems? Diesel, and any other liquid fuel that'll work in a diesel engine, can just be mixed together. The same for gasoline/petrol/benzine. The only other thing I can see is if you wanted one liquid fuel, and one gaseous, like CNG or propane. In which case, you wouldn't need an injector so much as an air valve. There are many countries where it's common to have retrofitted CNG cars, that can run on both gas or CNG.
Audiokarma