Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-31-2006, 03:47 PM
bradleyosu

Magnavox Micromatic Turntable Question

This is my first post on these forums but I've been reading them for a while. I've recently acquired a 1963 Magnavox HiFi console as a project to sort of get my feet wet in the hobby. It's a beautiful cabinet, everythng works beautifully and is intact except for the turntable.

There are a few issues with the turntable:

First off it doesn't turn. I've opened it up and looked at it and the motor runs and the rubber wheel that touches the motor shaft and the metal turntable body does turn the table when manually pushed against the shaft. It appears as though the spring has lost some of it's oomf and can't hold it against turntable anymore. Are worn out springs a common problem in old turntables? The other option is that maybe a few of the joints it moves have lost their lubrication, but upon testing them they appeared to move with no resistance and be pretty smooth. If it is the spring worn out, any idea where I can get a new spring?

Second issue, the automatic record player and tone arm motor control doesn't work. Upon investigation, I've noticed it's a similar problem to the one I'm having with the table not turning, it again appears that a spring has lost it's spring. When you turn it on it pushes a lever out of it's resting place which gets pulled down by a spring to the active place (somewhat rube-goldbergish). I can manually push it down and the whole operation goes on as planned but it's getting past that startup step where the whole thing gets stalled. Again, worn out springs... are they a normal issue?

Third, the entire turntable unit appears to be charged... when it's on I get shocked (not badly, just a tingle). I'm guessing this isn't normal but I'm failing to find any stray wires touching the body. Any ideas? or do I just look harder

Finally, not quite an issue with the turntable more with the whole stereo, there appears to be some intermittent static coming from the left channel. The static does not appear to be correlated with any action I do with the player and it appears while playing a record or listening to the radio. If I turn the unit off then back on quickly it relieves the static for a time. As per some of the posts on this forum I think it's related to some bad contacts or wiring so I'm going to start with cleaning all the contacts that are for the left channel and see what happens. What would you recommend to best clean the contacts? Also if anyone has any further insight as to what the problem might be feel free to chime in.

Well that turned out to be a long first post, but I wanted to be sure the issues were thoroughly explained. Hope to get some answers!

Last edited by bradleyosu; 05-31-2006 at 03:56 PM.