Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-01-2021, 09:51 PM
VideoKarma Member

A63adt15x05

My 1996 RCA Console Set did new the new eeprom. However, even after the repairman made many replacements of bad capacitors and etc. he really said he couldn't get what you call a very good picture on the set. The Green and Red are okay, but the Blue just kind of goes all over the place. He tested the CRT and he at firs thought it was okay. However, he rechecked it after it was warmed up and find that I have a weak and failing CRT. He said it's probably going to run on borrowed time. He did not want to try to rejuvenate the picture tube as I guess they can then go out shortly after that? He said any A63ADT Picture Tube would work as a replacement as he said the numbers at the end do not need to be the same. Would anyone have A Picture Tube or know where one could be located yet for the set? It sounds like I am going to need one in the very near future.

Thanks.
Old 04-02-2021, 06:54 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Console User View Post
My 1996 RCA Console Set did new the new eeprom. However, even after the repairman made many replacements of bad capacitors and etc. he really said he couldn't get what you call a very good picture on the set. The Green and Red are okay, but the Blue just kind of goes all over the place. He tested the CRT and he at firs thought it was okay. However, he rechecked it after it was warmed up and find that I have a weak and failing CRT. He said it's probably going to run on borrowed time. He did not want to try to rejuvenate the picture tube as I guess they can then go out shortly after that?
Any sort of rejuvenation or "cleaning" should be done only when the tube is known to be bad. There's only so much cathode material inside the gun and anything you do isn't going to add any more. The best you can hope for is improving the performance for the balance of the tube's life. Sometimes, it's like burning all your firewood at once: the fire is brighter and warmer but it won't last the night.

I don't know your tech's skill set, but if he's right, then keep a lookout for a tube. At this age, people are looking to dump these TVs for free and you should be able to find one fairly easily. It's new enough not to be a classic and old enough to be a pain to store.

Now, getting back to the TV, a shortcut to finding out if the tube is cranky is to turn the chroma off and see if the B&W picture is normal or not. See if the gray scale can be adjusted and see if raising the blue drive in the serv menu causes premature flaring compared to the red and green.

If it does, swap the blue wire for either the red or green at the CRT socket and reset your gray scale, again checking by eye for the strength of the blue gun. If the problem stays the same (again, leave the color off), then the problem is either the tube or something on the CRT socket (rare). If the problem switches guns, then the big jungle IC on the main board is the most likely culprit.

If the problem seems to be at the tube, check the resistor between the kine output transistor and the cathode pin, usually something in the 2K range. I've seen this happen in Zeniths where that resistor goes bad and does a fine job of simulating a bad tube.

John
Old 04-02-2021, 11:41 AM
VideoKarma Member

The tech is probably up against a not 100% provable cause. Proving it
would probably be an in shop repair. I can think of MANY good reasons he
wouldnt want to go there.
Keep in mind you want to make a good B&W first. Like John said keep the
color OFF while you troubleshoot it.
One other thing you can try. If there is a very low ohm resistor ( 1-3 ohm 1-2 w) in SERIES with the filament jump it out & see if it improves. If it
does its the CRT 99%. As with cleaning there is a tiny risk to the CRT doing this.

73 Zeno
LFOD !
Old 04-03-2021, 10:46 PM
VideoKarma Member

Those '90's RCA/Thomson tubes are generally pretty good; but, I've ran into some bad ones and when these go bad, they don't rejuvenate well. I'm pretty sure this tube uses a bonded yoke; so, you'd have to find a similar style bonded yoke tube.

Like others have said, it could very well be another problem and the technician could just be telling you that the tube is bad because they don't want to mess with it (technicians have been doing it since the first TV's).